Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-15-06, 10:03 AM   #1
btaft
Soundman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Opinions wanted

Hello,

I am a long time fan of simulations (driving, flying, subs, etc). I am considering purchasing SB Pro. Money is for the most part not a problem but I don't necessarily want to throw away $125. I have read some of the reviews and they have perked my interest in the type of sim which I have yet to venture into.

1) Immersion: I had purchased SH3 and the one aspect I truely liked about it was that you felt like you were onboard a WWII sub. Does this hold true with SBPro, i.e. does it just feel real

2) Attention to detail: Another aspect I enjoy about a good sim is the level in which things are modeled in the "cockpit" control stations. In a weird way alot of times I enjoy learning how to use the sim more than actually using it in the long term. I still fondly remember the first time I set up a manual solution with no aids in SH3 (manually turning all of the dials etc) and sent the C3 to the bottom. This was even more exciting when I encountered by first BB in the campaign mode and didn't have nearly as much time as I had for the C3 moving at 8 kts :-)

3) Interface: This is kind of a continuation on the above question. SH3 took a little bit to learn but once you did the interface was very intuitive and easy to use in the heat of battle without turning into a RTS clickfest. How does SBPro's interface compare

4) AI: I realize a good portion of this is scripted. How is th AI of your platoon mates. Often I don't like to be the lead in a group of 4 planes or tanks. Is the AI good enough for me to take a secondary position and receive commands from the platoon commander or do I have to run the show.

5) Varaibility: One complaint I have had with SHII is that once you learned how to deal with convoys and lone ships, the sim really became a little boring. It became another exercise in getting in position for another run on another cargo ship that for the most part looked like the last one. I realize that SBPro is comprised of single missions that are scripted but do these scripted missions have enough variability in them such that the enemy AI may try different tactics from one attempt to the next, or if I round a bend in one try and find 4 T-72s can I expect to find the same 4 T-72s in the same position next time. Along these lines I feel well scripted single mission can often be more fun than some of the best dynamic campaigns

6) Hardware: The last question is in reference to hardware. I have a decent system (AMD X2 4400, 2GB RAM, ATI x1600 512MD). I need to repace my monitor and am considering a 20" LCD (1600 x 1200). Will SBPro run well (FPS of 30) at this resolution with this system with good-excellent details settings.

I realize that there are alot of questions here, but any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Old 08-15-06, 11:03 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

See your questions in the light of just one simple fact: you are not about buying a game, but a professional training tool designed by the needs and demands of the real military, and intended to compete against the hifi-simulator cabins the military has by super-aggressive pricing. This is what differs details and focus of SBP from that of normal game releases.

1.) Immersion is high, but it is however a diffrent kind of immersion than SH3 that was breathing the atmosphere of an ancient epoque.

2.) as you can read in my own review, only some tanks currently have detailed 3D interiors, namely the Leo2A5 which has the most detailed of these. However, at no cost I would like to need switching back from my HOTAS to mouseclicking in these 3D interiors, in handling it is too timeconsuming. You are not travelling in a sub with sometimes minutes of time passing by before youzr keyboard command is carried out, but in a tank - you may want to flip sights within splits of a second. DO NOT compare to SH3, tank warfare is totally different.

3.) I still wait for anyone complaining about the interface and keyboard commands being '"difficult". You can assign keyboards to your liking, btw. By far the best solution (and closest to the real thing, probably) is to have them on your HOTAS.

4.) Depends on the scripting. AI buddies will follow the lead tank, however at battle positions or depedning on conditonal route variables they may act indepednetly to counter hostile contacts, face incoming fire, find hull-down positions. AI is coinsidered to be very good in SBP, but the overall movement depends on the mission designer - and your own mission planning before playing. The player sues almost the same interafce for that like the mission designer. It is the same principles and mechanism at work. See my review were it is explained en detail.

5.) The sim has a mission editor, and a terrain editor. It already could make a diffrence to take a mission and change the vehicles for different ones. Currently there are three or four dozen additional missions uploaded at their download page. The functionality of the editor is extremely easy to handle, if the mission design will be good depends on the deoisgners tactical undersatanding and cleverness. It could be a stupüid gunnery range. It could be a highly flexible, mobile battle. It could be filled by surprises or not. Depends on the mission designer. I wrote the ditor is the best I have ever seen beside that of Flashpoint. I stick to that statement.

6.) Your hardware is fine.

Again, all your questions got dealt with in my review, and very detailed so. If you want a simulation, this one is for you. If you want a game-sim with focus on the gamer's interests, be cautious. so far I haven't heared of a single guy who regret the buying. Only one I know who sold it - because he received a new assignement and had no more time left for SBP.

I also recommend the interview with Ssnake to be found in the ressources-sticky. He says some things baout the sim'S focus and future, and how it competes with the professional HiFi-Simulators.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-15-06 at 11:07 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 12:09 PM   #3
btaft
Soundman

Thanks Skybird.

I did read your review and found it very comprehensive. I just might give it a try.
btaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 01:25 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

You could also ask in their main forum to get a greater diversity of opinions.
Old 08-15-06, 03:15 PM   #5
btaft
Soundman

I decided to bite the bullet. It is on its way. Now to get the new monitor
Old 08-15-06, 04:20 PM   #6
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

You got me excited as well Skybird.......I'm a sucker for good sims.......
Hope it is as good as advertised, I'll let you know
Old 08-15-06, 04:27 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

I'll await your final judgement in a state of confidence and complete relaxation
Old 08-17-06, 03:20 PM   #8
btaft
Soundman

Well it arrived today :-)

I have not had a chance to fully get into it, but I have started to read the manuals. First impression was ughhh.....no pictures

But then I read-on and was very pleased with how the tutorials and manuals were written.

I will probably wait till tommorrow so that I can get my new monitor and start to fire up the tutorials. I am assuming that the Leo2 is a good place to start since it seems to be the most comprehensive of all of the vehicles.

I also assume that I will need to download the two patches onthe web site?
Old 08-17-06, 05:05 PM   #9
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaft
I also assume that I will need to download the two patches onthe web site?

No, you should only need to install the 2.73 update. I recently purchased my copy as well (on July 30th) and that was the only update that I needed to install besides the firmware update for the USB dongle from v1.0 to v1.10
Old 08-17-06, 06:01 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Be careful now.

As long as you have not received a disc of a new production release (I am not aware that they have released a second edition already), you NEED the first patch and then attach the second to that one. The second is NOT a standalone patch, but some kind of a hotfix for the first.

Check you version number after having installed from CD, if it is below 2.262 (most likely 2.251), you need the first patch as well.

That the second patch does not include the first one you can already see in the size of both patches. The first is 76 MB, the second only some 4 MB.

The dongle firmware update also is recommended, but maybe not really necessary as long as you face no problems with it.

Again:

CD version (first release) is 2.251, I heared no info that there is a second release,
1st patch is 2.262
2nd patch is 2.273

dongle firmware update is 1.10

Last edited by Skybird; 08-18-06 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 05:59 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

One point for Serpent.

I just got confirmation that they meanwhile have invested in a new master CD and remained silent about that, so later CDs already have the 1st patch attached to the code.

the criterion is the version number after installation, if it reads 2.262, you only need the second patch, if it is below that, you need the first patch as well.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-18-06 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 07:33 AM   #12
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

The wife just called: it arrived by post today!!!!

Can't wait to get home and immerse myself into his one........
As soon as I've seen enough to make a honest judgement I'll post again.......
Later all!
Old 08-18-06, 09:56 PM   #13
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
One point for Serpent.

I just got confirmation that they meanwhile have invested in a new master CD and remained silent about that, so later CDs already have the 1st patch attached to the code.

the criterion is the version number after installation, if it reads 2.262, you only need the second patch, if it is below that, you need the first patch as well.

That's what I said
Old 08-18-06, 10:10 PM   #14
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The new version even comes with a new vehicle not in the original version. It's a working, fully detailed, MoPED with an official "RED RYDER, CARBINE ACTION, TWO-HUNDRED SHOT RANGE MODEL AIR RIFLE" attached to the handle bar.

J/K

I asked the DEV team for it though and this is what they said, "You'll shoot your eye out kid".
Old 08-20-06, 08:27 PM   #15
btaft
Soundman

Well I was able to get it up and running. I have been messing with the tutorials (started with the M1 but haved switched to the Leo 2A5). My first impression so far is th eimmersion seems pretty good even in the relatively tame tutorials. My other observation is that aiming the gun sure does take alot of practice

I am enjoying it so far