Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 11-24-06, 12:00 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Demonstration scenario for SBP

I have uploaded a mission to the scenario database at stealbeasts.com that is not meant to be a playing mission, but a demo in case you want to demonstrate basic sim elements, cockpits, sights and crewable vehicles to interested friends and talk to them without needing to get destracted by playing the sim correctly. It includes a bridging operation, a minefield breaching, a short battle and fighting retreat into resupply positions. All playable vehicles are available, so you can easily compare them without needing to switch between different missions.

The setup is not any special nor is it especially clever in design, but it may turn out to be helpful if you do not want to mess things up during a demonstration by playing and talking at the same time. I talk of repeated bad experience here

This is the briefing text:

Quote:
Skybird_Demonstration v1.02

This scenario is for demonstration purposes only, it is not an operation with any kind of mission for which you must plan or that you must conduct. There is no mission goal. It is not tailored for any kind of operational realism. It is meant to allow you to explain SBP to interested guests without needing to confuse your concentration by talking and handling the sim at the same time (which I always find lethal and makes me messing things up...) Therefore, the many longer brakes or monotonous phases are intentional opportunities for demonstrating different views and stations and explain them to your guests.

It allows you to demonstrate SBP's details and mechanisms while they are presented in kind of an automatically running show, without any need of yourself to enter mission play. You could just stick to 1/A, eventually the second or third tank which gives nice views of the dust of the other vehicles, and entirely stick to the F8 outside view, or the F7 TC station and F1 turret view, handling only the viewing direction with the mouse and the zoom control N. you can also check the other crewable vehicles and experiment with their sights.

The demo runs for around 40 minutes. You must follow unit Alpha One (1/A), which consists of four (!) Leo2A5DK.

A - After a minute a small river bridging operation will start to be conducted, and that you can observe from F8 view or onboard any of the four tanks.

B - After crossing the small river, your column will halt to wait for the passing of a supply convoy. This will give you time to show your guests the interior of the tanks, for example.

C - Next is an examplary breaching of a minefield for demonstration.

D - In the protection of smoke cover, you will then evade into the forest and advance further. You will encounter a column of Marders, which demonstrates that the sim can handle vehicle avoidance by autonomous zig-zagging even if the road is a one-lane road only and speed moderate and vehicle spacing is not too tight. That phase ends by leaving the forest. While underway, all obstacle types SBP has on offer are positioned close to your route for visual inspection.

E - You then enter the open plain and will spend some time with automatic changing of formation and unit spacing. You will encounter an American Abrams platoon and a Canadian Leo1 platoon.

F - Next you will advance into prepared defensive positions up in the North. A minute after getting there a simulated attack of several armoured platoons is to be repulsed. After two minutes of battle, artillery will lay down a smoke screen by which your retreat will be covered. Reinforcements from the south will pass through your formation to guard your retreat even further.

G - You are then to change formation again and advance towards a resupply point hidden in the woods. You will pass a Bradley column and eventually will be overtaken by a Marder column as well. (The latter does not reflect how I want things to work properly, the improper collision detection of SBP ruins my intention here). When the Marder overtake you in zig-zag manouveurs at the supply point, the demo is over.

You then can advance to the other one-vehicle-platoons of Alpha company in the East, which consists of one tank of all crewable MBTs found in SBP. You can examine their interiors (if they have any), examine their differences (Leo1AS vs Leo1DK for example), check the various gunner's sights and crosshairs and compare the various GAS of all tanks directly and practice shooting with them. The tanks have infinite but ineffective armmunition and will continously hammer the dummy targets east of them.

You can also check the training camp of Bravo company in the West, which consists of all crewable IFVs/APCs in SBP, they too continously engage moving dummy targets with infinite but ineffective ammunition.

You can also board the F8 view of the chopper circling the training gound and enjoy the sight from up there.

All vehicles of Charly and Delta company are machine controlled and cannot be influenced or boarded.

If you are new to SBP, you can check the setup in mission editior and examine how the minefield breaching and the timing of the battle and artillery strike has been set up.

I let the final version of this demo run for six times (version 2.304), without time compression. Four times it worked flawlessly, one time one tank did not find it's foxhole in the battle position and got killed while hectically racing around, and one time I got a traffic jam near the final resupply point when my Leos, the Bradleys and the Marders all slammed into each other. Collision detection and vehicle avoidance when passing opposite approaching columns on streets is not really one of the aspects where SBP shines. It's even worse with trees nearby - definitely worth to be adressed by the developer...

>>> >>> >>> Due to the many different vehicles, mission loading time is very long. <<< <<< <<
It is available in the download section at www.stealbeasts.com (in: scenario files, single player, easy category). Title is Skybird_Demonstration.

It is also avalable here: http://people.freenet.de/Skybird/Sky...onstration.rar

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-06 at 05:17 AM.

Old 11-25-06, 07:25 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Porphy just reminded me that I forgot to mention that you need the "Munster Nord" map, available in the download section at stealbeast.com.

The map is the recreation of a real German tank practice area.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 08:22 PM   #3
TteFAboB
Admiral

Downloads: 4

Porphy = Phil.

Iraq, Saddam, Islam, Jihad, Political Correctness, USA, Bush, Rumsfeld, European Union, Merkel, Spiegel, Putin, Oil, Car, Katana, Buddha, death and taxes.

Compensation.

On topic: good idea.