SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-17, 08:48 AM   #391
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Cheers gap, Vecko is giving it a first pass (I used mediafire in the end); will see how he gets on.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 10:02 AM   #392
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
Cheers gap, Vecko is giving it a first pass (I used mediafire in the end); will see how he gets on.
Okay, good. Fingers crossed!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 11:32 AM   #393
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
I'll try to create a test patch for TWoS which will allow to number of people with different setups to test campaign transfer triggering.

Just a few more question" Is there any way to make things even more simple somehow? Maybe to avoid renaming files or something?

Also, will any afterwards user Uplay updates somehow interfere with your fix?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 12:17 PM   #394
OldCoder
Soundman

"I'll try to create a test patch for TWoS which will allow to number of people with different setups to test campaign transfer triggering."

Fantastic, thanks.

"Is there any way to make things even more simple somehow? Maybe to avoid renaming files or something? "

I guess included in the zip file could be a .bat file to perform the copy/renames for the user. Since I know nothing about the patcher, does it have any ability to run an external batch file when performing its work?

"Also, will any afterwards user Uplay updates somehow interfere with your fix?"

I can't be sure, though my uplay folders and the osi.exe file are dated March last year which is probably when I installed them.
Old 01-25-17, 04:33 PM   #395
Choum
Sparky

Downloads: 343
Uploads: 3

On Windows 10, the Osi_ubisoft.exe will be launch with High process priority, not realtime don't know if this is normal thing.
Choum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 09:17 AM   #396
Putera aditya
Nub

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa View Post
As told in my last post, here it is a detailed explanation about my discovery and the procedure to use for fixing this terrible bug .

Starting from the assumption that something was related to a missing response from the OSI application or the SH5 main game i first started looking inside the OSI executable but with no result. From my knowledge it looked all right and with no apparent problem at all . I excluded the game files since they were the same as ever and the only changes occurred were part of the UPlay updates frequently released (with no apparent communications with the users, it seems... changes to more important games were followed by news or changelogs, for Silent Hunter 5 no informations were given ).

Second important element was that not all users were experimenting this issue, thus leading me to a problem related to single computers with problems on Handling threads or processes flow. The OSI is at all effects an emulator of the old DRM system (or part of it at all, i don't know) and it send pings to the main game every few seconds before releasing further data to the game prior a game response. This timed procedure pointed me at looking at the running processes of my PC and there it came to my mind an old application dedicated on freeing resources of the PC as to have better performances for a game :

This application simply changed the process priority of the game launched and lowered all Others to allow the computer a dedicated amount of resources for the game. Usually a PC handles all the processes automatically aiming to a balanced performance of all the applications running and the priority assigned gives more resources (RAM, CPU usage and so on) to the main applications running... i wondered if it could be our case and there it came the discovery.

Coming to the problem, here is the bug : the OSI application, started each time with the SH5.exe file, is a background application and the PC usually gives little resources to it, however the SH5 game is instead a demanding one and is given a lot more resources than other running processes... now, it seems that this big difference from resources allocated to the SH5 main game and the ones allocated for the OSI is the responsible for the missing communication between the two running processes .

My first idea was to manually raise the priority of the OSI process and it worked !! The DBG Viewer helped me on checking the correct communications between SH5 and OSI and at the moment it works everything correctly . As everyone can note the DBG Viewer is only a tool to check if the game works properly and it is not needed to fix the bug. The only thing to do once is to set the OSI.exe file to be runned with administrator rights because only in this way it can be directed from the Windows Task Manager.

The file is located in the UPlay folder, this is the link where it is usually installed :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\data\3\osis\13\OSI.exe

After that the procedure to follow is this :

- Start Silent Hunter 5;
- When the game finishes loading and you are in the main menu go to the desktop using Alt+TAB;
- Start the Windows task manager and go to the process list;
- Find the OSI.exe process and right click on it;
- Go to "manage priority" and set it to "real time";
- The computer will ask if you want to do it, click yes. It will then tell you that it cannot enable the real time and instead it will set it to "high", that's ok, click on it;
- Close the task manager and return to the game;
- Start or load a saved game and enjoy it !

That's all ! Be aware that the OSI process is killed each time you exit the main game and it is restarted at each SH5 launch, so it is necessary to raise the priority each time. Since it takes only 30 seconds or less to make the modify i don't think it will be too difficult or long to apply .

At the moment i tried more than 20 sessions with the vanilla game and a modded one and no more issues were found, all campaigns are updated regularly and the infamous tonnage bar is filling correctly . As said in my previous posts, every feedback would help on understanding if this bug can be considered solved or not, feel free to ask about it, i will help if i can !
I cant change OSI Priority to realtime, my Windows 7 says unable, any ideas?
Putera aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 11:03 AM   #397
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Pa
Make sure your .exe applications are running as administrators.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 03:39 PM   #398
m00d
Swabbie

Downloads: 63

I know this is a old thread but this saves me some time so I wanted to share it. Instead of setting the osi.exe each time I play the game I use this little program that permanently stores the priority settings in windows 10 so that osi.exe always starts in 'realtime' for me. You can choose 'high' as well. It's very easy, just like the task manager except you set it once and your done.

http://systemexplorer.net/

Thanks!
m00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 04:16 PM   #399
THEBERBSTER

Hi m00d
You do not need to worry about that.
The only time of concern is when moving on the day from your current campaign to the next new one.
Peter
Old 08-08-17, 11:13 PM   #400
m00d
Swabbie

Ok thanks, I must have misunderstood the fix by MaMa. I thought we needed to keep osi.exe running at high priority in order for the tonnage bar to increase consistently. I figured I'd forget to Alt/tab out and manually do it so I used that lil program to keep osi.exe at real time without relying on my memory. Also thanks for all the great tutorials you have posted, they have helped me several times already and I'm sure I'll be back reading new ones very soon. Thx!

Last edited by m00d; 08-08-17 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 04:02 AM   #401
THEBERBSTER

Hi m00d
The tonnage bar and campaign icons problems are all down to the Ubisoft Game Launcher.
When Ubisoft passed it over to Uplay a couple of years ago it as has never worked properly since.
Are you trying to play the stock game with the tonnage bar?
Peter
Old 08-11-17, 12:13 PM   #402
m00d
Swabbie

I was thinking of playing stock UI with just a few enviroment mods so the tonnage bar was showing then. Now I'm using Wolfes from the deep mega mod with the MagUI interface so no more tonnage bar issues. Thanks!
Old 08-11-17, 02:11 PM   #403
THEBERBSTER

Hi m00d
WOTD is a nice alternative to TWOS and sobers mega mod although it does not have Real Navigation but does have a nice UI.
Unfortunately I had to give up on it as I kept getting a ctd in Kiel and could not get out of the harbor.
Peter
Old 08-14-17, 01:37 PM   #404
m00d
Swabbie

I haven't had any CTD's yet. I just finished the first campaign and will be heading out on the 2nd tonight. Yes the UI is why I went with this mod, I love the MagUI.
Old 08-27-17, 04:24 AM   #405
OldCoder
Soundman

Hi guys,

For TWoS 2.0 users, I updated optional Campaign Advance Verifier mod to make it compatible. Because of the way campaign advancement works in TWoS you don't strictly need it, but I like to see that the game is scoring properly.

You can download from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ix8ida...r_TWoS_2.0.zip