SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-17, 04:40 PM   #1
Artur Salwarowski
Iron Wolf Studio

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 UBOOT: The Board Game

Hello everyone,

I represent a young game dev studio that is working on the board game rendition of ‘UBOOT’ by Deep Water Studio. The vision behind UBOOT: The Board Game is to take the realistic feel of PC subsim games and seamlessly merge it with the fun aspect of boardgaming to create the first ever cooperative tabletop submarine simulator. Yes, a subsim that you could play together with your friends over beer and pretzels Certainly not as realistic as the most prominent PC representatives of the genre, yet definitely faithful enough to be called a simulator.

What we are aiming at is blending the best of both worlds, and putting it into one, hopefully awesome package. With emphasis on player-to-player communication, chain of command, crew management, and hidden information regarding the outside world, we are trying to make the experience as close to the real thing as possible (e.g. contacts have to be tracked via the companion app, and then marked on the paper map by the navigator using a dry erase marker).

One of our goals is to make players talk to one another as much as possible, passing information and orders, while constantly working under the pressure of time. There is much more I could write at this point, but I don't want to attack you with a wall of text from the outset With that in mind, I'm gonna end it right here and let you have a look at some of our stuff.

Here is our early components prototype:

Please bear in mind, that my intention is not to promote the game as much as it is to reach out to the community of enthusiasts in the field of submarine simulation in order to lend an ear to their feedback and expertise (provided that they are willing to share it ). Therefore, if you are curious of how we want to achieve the above mentioned goals, then please visit our website for a full game description, as well as the first instalment of our designer diaries:

http://uboottheboardgame.com/

Last, but not least, here is our silly-ass teaser-trailer:

Right, I guess that's all for now. Thank you very much for your interest and I'd be thrilled if we could sail into the uncharted waters together!

Last edited by Artur Salwarowski; 03-04-17 at 04:55 PM.
Artur Salwarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 09:50 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Looks really good. My daughter and friends play board game, I look forward to bringing this to a game night.

Can you describe the "companion app" in a little more detail? I am interested in the mechanics of your game.
Old 03-05-17, 12:58 PM   #3
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Hi Artur,

from a component perspective this looks really awesome ! If the game is full cooperative, can it played also solo like the recent u-boat games from GMT ?
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 09:32 AM   #4
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427

I'd like solo-play rules as well.
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 10:57 AM   #5
Artur Salwarowski
Iron Wolf Studio

Downloads: 4

Yes, the game will definitely feature a solo mode!
@Onkel Neal:
Have you had the chance to look at the Designer Diary on our website? It tells a little bit more about the app. In short, the mobile app is going to be something like 'Silent Hunter Lite', yet presented in a format that keeps a lot of the information secret, unless players make an effort to reveal it. Like, for instance, when the weather is bad for a few days in a row and you can't use the sextant to determine your position, then you will have to rely on where the navigator BELIEVES the U-boat actually is. Without using the sextant, you can only calculate based on your course, speed, and the passage of time. Of course, once you use it, then you will be able to say approximately where you are, but it is not that you will see the boat's position on the map at all times Simply because... there is no map in the app - the navigator has to determine and draw the course on the paper map

And there are tons of such things in the game - we are really thinking outside the box with this one. Have I mentioned that you will have to tamper with the Enigma to decipher messages, and also engage in a guitar hero-style rhythmic game to send messages using the Morse Code?
And that is still the tip of the iceberg
Artur Salwarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 10:59 AM   #6
Pilot_76
Chief

:Kale un_Cheers::salu te:
Old 10-03-19, 03:44 AM   #7
haloawsome
Nub

Downloads: 2

This looks great.
haloawsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 12:30 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

haloawsome!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 02:00 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > haloawsome
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 11:31 PM   #10
Pilot_76
Chief

Icon14 Sent this to the design team via website...

Please consider the following:

App:
-Random Campaign
-Random mission assignments
-Random Areas to patrol
-A realistic Enigma decoding/encoding process (optional). One feature as well would be for the Enigma decoding process to take some time like 10'. We could also use apps with Enigma that emulates. PC too.
-Whole war available 1938-45
-fictitious war scenarios, like the War ending beyond 1945.
-Unlimited time
-Fuel management
-Sextant would also take time. Around 10-15'. Only during twilight.
-More subs included like Type II and XXI, Type IX.
-More audio options (English, Portuguese etc) We could record our own too
-Saving the game is already in the works, tks!
-US Navy version! Balao/Trench class please!