Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-10, 10:13 AM   #811
xoranium
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Shadow problem after patch 1.2

Hi all,

I have just updated via steam to 1.2, loaded my last mission and noticed the shadows were very specky and pixelated, also when panning around the submarine the specky shadows remained in the same position as if the shadows were not part of the submarine more like part of the background, the same could be found when looking at the shadows on crew members faces & surfaces on the dock etc.

When i turn shadows off in the menu, obviously there is no problem as there is no shadows.

Prior to the patch shadows were fine.

I running:

2 x 480 SLI (197.41)
Everything maxed out

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by xoranium; 05-14-10 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added pic
xoranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 10:24 AM   #812
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate View Post
Better take another good look at the picture and if that is not good enough read the text below the picture.

Here I'll refresh your mind:

"A "jack" (Goesch or Gösch in German) is a small version of the national flag that is flown from a jackstaff on the bow of a war ship to indicate its nationality, while a military or war ensign is flown on the stern. A jack is below shown flying from the jackstaff on a new submarine just launched at the Krupp Germania Wharf Kiel, in the period ad at the left.

Do you still want to call the writer a liar??
The Gösch was just flown at Warships, a U-Boot is, in Kriegsmarine Terms, not a ship its a Boat. In the Kriegsmarine from 1918 to 1945 the Gösch wasnt flown at smaller Units like U-Boots and Schnellboots, Minesweepers etc.
Showing the Gösch at smaller units was against the Traditions and Regulations of the Kriegsmarine.
The Flag flown at the U-Boot at Krupp Germania ist the regular Civilan Naval Flag which was always flown at Boots or Ships before the Handover ceremony to the Kriegsmarine, then the Civilan flag was removed and the Reichkriegsflagge was put up (only in Peacetime).
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 10:41 AM   #813
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoranium View Post
Hi all,

I have just updated via steam to 1.2, loaded my last mission and noticed the shadows were very specky and pixelated, also when panning around the submarine the specky shadows remained in the same position as if the shadows were not part of the submarine more like part of the background, the same could be found when looking at the shadows on crew members faces & surfaces on the dock etc.

When i turn shadows off in the menu, obviously there is no problem as there is no shadows.

Prior to the patch shadows were fine.

I running:

2 x 480 SLI (197.41)
Everything maxed out

Thanks in advance for any help

I already checked , the settings for the Shadows before and after the 1,2 patch are exactly the same , therefore zero changes on the shadows settings

Old 05-14-10, 10:50 AM   #814
xoranium
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk View Post
I already checked , the settings for the Shadows before and after the 1,2 patch are exactly the same , therefore zero changes on the shadows settings
Thanks for your reply,

I checked my shadows cfg and all seems as the same as you have shown, however visualy the shadows as shown on the pic are nothing like they were prior to the patch.

Oh ya, and Steam patched me from v1.00, also under the patch notes for 1.2 it says "Shadow optimizations" somets changed otherwise i wouldn't be posting :P

Not sure if there is a way to undo the patch as I am using steam

I'll try the new drivers from nvidia, just checked and 197.75 is available

Regards

Last edited by xoranium; 05-14-10 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-14-10, 11:10 AM   #815
tonschk
Admiral

The Shadows need optimization , I was changing the shadows settings and please see the results in the screens below , before the tweak and after the shadows tweak ,

BEFORE

AFTER

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-14-10, 11:27 AM   #816
grucha22
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default HowTO?

Hello,
I have ma mission to find a distroyer.

So i heave to patrol some area. But there is no ship that I have to sink.
Then I recive new order to move my submarine in other location, but there is also nothing.

How to find the ship I have to sink?

Please help.
grucha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 11:35 AM   #817
xoranium
Swabbie

Quote:
The Shadows need optimization , I was changing the shadows settings and please see the results in the screens below , before the tweak and after the shadows tweak ,
Ah great,

The before image is exactly how mine is, how can i optimize my shadows to gain the same results?

tonschk what exactly did you tweak?

Thanks again for your prompt help

Regards

Last edited by xoranium; 05-14-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 12:39 PM   #818
tonschk
Admiral

Is not easy , there are three sets of settings , for the bridge , exterior and bunker , This is a matter almost of gessing the numbers of the settings , I just upgrade the video card , let me check first what happen with this new video card to know if increasing the amount of video memory can improve the performance
Old 05-14-10, 12:40 PM   #819
xoranium
Swabbie

Quote:
Hey

I don't mean to be a pain in the arse but what do you change in the Shadows.cfg to get the results in your "After" example.?

Regards
Old 05-14-10, 12:53 PM   #820
xoranium
Swabbie

Quote:
Is not easy , there are three sets of settings , for the bridge , exterior and bunker , This is a matter almost of gessing the numbers of the settings , I just upgrade the video card , let me check first what happen with this new video card to know if increasing the amount of video memory can improve the performance
Ok no worries, I hope your new card works good.

I have tried to play with the settings a little but nothing i have done yet changes the fuzzy pixelation.

I will keep trying lol

Regards
Old 05-14-10, 01:07 PM   #821
tonschk
Admiral

WOW .... I just upgrade from a nVidia 8800GT to a ATI EAH5870 ,,, and went from average 8 - 12 FPS to 60 FPS playing sh5

Those shadows settings are very very difficult , before my video card upgrade when I was able to get a well defined Dynamic Shadows in the middle of the sub ,on the other areas ( bow and Stern ) the shadows disappear or were worst ( very blurred ) than before , this is the reason for the moment is useless I give you the numbers of my tweak shadows settings , I hope with this new video card with more memory the situation can be better
Old 05-14-10, 01:16 PM   #822
xoranium
Swabbie

Quote:
WOW .... I just upgrade from a nVidia 8800GT to a ATI EAH5870 ,,, and went from average 8 - 12 FPS to 60 FPS playing sh5

Those shadows settings are very very difficult , before my video card upgrade when I was able to get a well defined Dynamic Shadows in the middle of the sub ,on the other areas ( bow and Stern ) the shadows disappear or were worst ( very blurred ) than before , this is the reason for the moment is useless I give you the numbers of my tweak shadows settings , I hope with this new video card with more memory the situation can be better
I am glad your FPS has such a good boost

However having spent almost £900 on 2 x 480GTX's, I find it disgraceful that in order to play the game to the standard I want, I have to spend hours maybe even days messing around in a .cfg file. This is fine if you want to adjust for performance, but to get the game to look normal????

Sorry but this game is getting uninstalled, and I certainly won't be looking at Ubisoft for any future games.

Its things like this that fuel the piracy of games

I'm just glad some of you can enjoy the game
Old 05-14-10, 01:27 PM   #823
tonschk
Admiral

A screen with the new Video card , the shadows ( stock settings ) are a bit less blurred in my opinion

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-14-10, 01:41 PM   #824
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Well I just loaded my Steam version and still V1.1.5 so I deleted the local content and have it downloading. I hate to say it but I may actuallly be forced to figure out how to also install the DVD version I still haven't opened.

Can't help but be a little aggravated that I have to jump through so many hoops just to be able to play this dang game with the morale and weather being saved properly. I would have gladly payed twice the price for something that was well done and finished.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 05:13 AM   #825
xoranium
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Well I just loaded my Steam version and still V1.1.5 so I deleted the local content and have it downloading. I hate to say it but I may actuallly be forced to figure out how to also install the DVD version I still haven't opened.

Can't help but be a little aggravated that I have to jump through so many hoops just to be able to play this dang game with the morale and weather being saved properly. I would have gladly payed twice the price for something that was well done and finished.
Couldnt agree with you more Ubisoft do this alot, if there is any developer thats good at getting it right 1sr time it has to be (in my book) the likes of Activision & Atari.

Don't get me wrong Ubisoft end up with really good titles but why so much pain for the customer!!!