SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-18, 04:58 AM   #16
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi it
Are you running GE-Force Experience by any chance?
You only need this if you are running the latest games so not needed for Silent Hunter ever.

If yes you can turn off driver updates.

Quote:
Neither time was it tied to an nvidia driver update.
Yes, I agree with you in regards to Nvidia updating your driver but in your case Microsoft has updated your driver not Nvidia as part of its latest Creator update.

This is the reason I keep on about being able to fix it.
This an LSH3 fix which is good for SH3, still worth a look.
The problem „L/SH3 show only black screen… but with sound“ (only with Widescreen Mods) is solved > Latest Information By Urmel.

This is worth taking a look at
More Information On Drivers And Settings
Downloading one of these working drivers will solve your problem.
Here is a link to download 378.92 which you can see is listed as working.
The download is a binary file.
Click on the link under the tabs to download.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/gefo...ownload,1.html
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 09:39 PM   #17
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I realize this thread was started some time ago, however itaylor57 has not stated his black screen has been fixed.

I offer this workaround which corrected my Black Screen upon running the game after a Windows Update.

It's from my Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install thread.

I also have the 1803 Windows 10 version....no problem with the update running SH4 after having the game set to run in the Windows Compatibility mode: Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 05:06 AM   #18
THEBERBSTER

Hi CS
I have never had a problem with Windows 10 updates having to run in any compatibility mode for SH4 or SH5 only SH3 is a problem and has to be run in Windows 7 mode and administrator is also essential on the SH3.exe.
I am also running the latest 1803 update.

Peter
Old 06-11-18, 12:05 PM   #19
itaylor57
Watch

Downloads: 46

still not working for me even trying the ideas posted. sh5 works fine btw.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled sh4 still no Bueno.

Last edited by itaylor57; 06-11-18 at 12:55 PM.
itaylor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 01:16 PM   #20
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Where do you have Steam installed? Where do you have SH4 installed? Are you trying to run mods? Have you re-installed DirectX v9.0c? It comes with the Steam install, or is available from MS Downloads, or here on SubSim Downloads. As has been mentioned before, MS will overwrite and / or delete files without telling you. Some of those files are needed by older 3D games.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 01:20 PM   #21
itaylor57
Watch

I reinstalled because I did have mods installed (which was all working before the windows update).
Which is why I did a clean reinstall to eliminate any changes I may have introduced into the install.
Steam has a whole folder with the correct version of directx so that is not the issue.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1803(OS build 17134.81)

Last edited by itaylor57; 06-11-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 03:44 PM   #22
propbeanie

Not the answer to the questions. Steam defaults to installing into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" on a Win10 box. Usually, the games come under that below the "SteamApps" folder. If this is where Silent Hunter is, no matter the version, Windows will not allow proper modding, and will do partial "roll-backs" of the files. Steam itself is "authorized" by Windows to make changes to your game. If you have "managed" your Steam "Library" to another drive and / or folder for the Silent Hunter installs, great. Things should work fine there. This is probably not why your screen goes to black though, just a contributing factor.

As has been mentioned before, the most recent Windows Update, and any performed after that, can and will delete files from your computer without telling you. Windows 10 devs do not want anything potentially "conflicting" left on your computer that would potentially interfere with the operation of the OS the way ~they~ want it. This includes video drivers and older DirectX version files. They don't just overwrite what is there, they remove any left-overs of old versions. This is why you sometimes have to re-install older video card drivers and / or DirectX v9.0c -AFTER- the Windows Update. Microsoft could NOT care less whether they break something old on your machine, and they seldom do updates after-the-fact that fix what they broke of the old stuff. In fact, if behooves them to do things like this, so that you go out and purchase the latest / greatest of everything, including games. None of the game companies, much less Microsoft, want you playing something that is 12-15 years old, because you are then not out buying something ~new~... Re-installing DirectX v9.0c will NOT overwrite anything new. Windows wont' allow it to. But it will re-install the old 3D library file that the Silent Hunter games need to run their 3D portion of the game interface. Similarly, if you go to a black screen for the menu, which is 2D, you re-do the video driver. This is why THEBERBSTER has been talking about the video drivers and rolling them back. It is so that the re-install overwrites what the Windows Update did to your computer, which was to remove the old "backwards compatible" files. Don't count on Microsoft or Ubisoft to fix it for you, because they most likely won't...

Old 06-11-18, 06:33 PM   #23
itaylor57
Watch

All my steam apps are on the D: drive.
I have tried a bunch of previous nvidia drivers to no avail.

As I have said I have encountered this same issue before and the only thing that fixed it was a windows update.
I am quite sure that windows has a bug deprecating directx behavior.
I did not report the issue I had previously cause I knew there was no "answer" to fix it and it was resolved with a windows update not achange to the nvidia driver.
I am not a novice, but a retired s/w engineer of 32 years.

I do appreciate the ideas to resolve though.

I have tried each post to no avail including reinstalling direct x etc.
I will gladly post when the fix comes just like it did in the past.
And I uninstalled and reinstalled over 15 nvidia versions just so you know.
Old 06-12-18, 08:56 PM   #24
Snow Rose
Swabbie

Downloads: 108

I was having the same issue. I just enabled Vsync and it mysteriously fixed it. If you cant even get into the game change the settings in the main.cfg in documents/SH4/data/cfg. It will be under video and change the "Synchronized=No" to "Synchronized=Yes"
Snow Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 03:34 AM   #25
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Snow Rose (Beautiful log in name deserves a mention here)
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3-4-5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
Old 06-13-18, 11:25 AM   #26
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Snow Rose!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 06:35 AM   #27
itaylor57
Watch

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1803(OS build 17134.137)

Nvidia driver

Still broken just wanted to update thread even though no progress.
Old 06-27-18, 09:16 AM   #28
THEBERBSTER

Hi It
In regards to your current situation there is no reason why it cannot be fixed its just a case of what solution works for you.
There will be one I am sure as I have never heard of any one to date having to wait for the next update before they can play a SH game again.

I would suggest you go through my tutorial fixes.
If your previous driver worked ok then you could look at a roll back which might be the best and easiest solution.

Both CapnScurvy and propbeanie from the FOTRSU team are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to giving advice on these types of situation.
Peter

Old 07-02-18, 04:22 PM   #29
itaylor57
Watch

Well it is playing now. I reinstalled the nvidia driver why it is working now I am not fully sure but glad it is. Thanks for all the support.
Old 07-02-18, 05:38 PM   #30
propbeanie

Windows, in its infinite wisdom, knew that you ~really~ wanted the xBox One (or whatever they call their latest / greatest), and decided to help you along the road to your decision by overwriting an important portion of the video driver (needed by 'legacy' games) so that you would get frustrated with those old games and want to go out and buy new hardware and software... I am being facetious, but only to a point. They definitely don't want to try to maintain 'legacy' driver "technology" for their 'modern' operating system 'updates'... sorry, I went back into 'legacy' facetious mode...

Glad you're going again! ...