SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-17, 07:53 PM   #1
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Persistent contacts?

Could we have those, please? Right now you can't do TMA based on active sonar as that require the contact to stay "live" even when you cannot track it on passive sensors..

Also it's pretty unrealistic contact goes from 95% to wild guess at a drop of a hat.
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 03:05 AM   #2
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Well, you can always keep a paper plot yourself... think of that as the output from the automatic combat system.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 04:40 AM   #3
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Can modern subs get a range estimate from a contact that is using their active sonar?
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 05:38 AM   #4
Spartaner251
Watch

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
Can modern subs get a range estimate from a contact that is using their active sonar?
In theory maybe? But depth, layer and all the other factors would make it as good as a guess...

I would like to have active getting assigned as contact too.
So if you have surface ships pinging away that you don't have on sonar, your crew assings it as A(active?)+number and tries to get a bearing on it according to how the position of the incoming active sonar changes relative to your own?

So that once you pick up the screws or EMS, you get an even better solution on the contact?
Spartaner251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 09:56 AM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleyman View Post
Also it's pretty unrealistic contact goes from 95% to wild guess at a drop of a hat.
As soon as a contact turns or changes speed, the solution is no longer correct. I get what you mean with the solution can like bounce twice as far back all of a sudden when a contact does this, but as time goes on without reestablishing a solution, the error in the ship's position based on the previous solution does just keep going up.

Just thinking out loud here, but having the solution go wild is a good way to communicate that the solution is no longer valid. There isn't any real, overt cue that the contact has changed course or speed otherwise.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 11:51 AM   #6
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
As soon as a contact turns or changes speed, the solution is no longer correct. I get what you mean with the solution can like bounce twice as far back all of a sudden when a contact does this, but as time goes on without reestablishing a solution, the error in the ship's position based on the previous solution does just keep going up.

Just thinking out loud here, but having the solution go wild is a good way to communicate that the solution is no longer valid. There isn't any real, overt cue that the contact has changed course or speed otherwise.
I've done my time on DW TMA station, lining up those dots..

It's not about changing speed etc, if you lose contact for any reason the solution is immediately reset to "zero". This can happen if you change layer, increase speed etc. Usually at that point you still pick up pings but they don't keep the contact live.

The game obviously does not have a persistent state for the TMA, if you lose the contact for a moment it jumps to a some default distance immediately etc.
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 01:25 AM   #7
-Pv-
The Old Man

As has been mentioned, a high % contact which is degrading, should not be as extreme is it currently is. A smart crew will project a path based on last known course and speed and continue to tract that as a ghosted probability until new data corrects or the contact has had no new data for a long time, then show last guess as a marker "?"

This idea that a high prob target going ghost and jumping to what is obviously a ridiculous position should get the TMA team scrubbing the toilet the rest of the campaign.

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 10:04 PM   #8
Austria
Nub

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
This idea that a high prob target going ghost and jumping to what is obviously a ridiculous position should get the TMA team scrubbing the toilet the rest of the campaign.

-Pv-
Yeah whenever I get that I just go "This guesstimate is bollocks" and prosecute on the old dotted line.
Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 11:18 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Austria!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-23-17 at 02:15 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 07:14 PM   #10
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
From one ping? no.

What you DO have a REALLY good piece of contact data. If you know the characteristics of the sonar used you now have an approximation of class (I.e. what ships USE that sonar).

That is a HUGE piece of intel for a tracking party. You now know the rough capabilities of who you are tracking.

You also know for SURE the bearing the contact is on. This can take a fuzzy plot and turn it into a firm contact.

Any combat comes down to intel. The more you have the better idea how to beat the other guy.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote