Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-13, 10:09 AM   #1
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Default The man who fought on three sides in WW2

Quote:
American paratroopers in Normandy in June 1944 thought they had captured a Japanese soldier in German uniform, but he turned out to be Korean. His name was Yang Kyoungjong.

In 1938, at the age of 18, Yang had been forcibly conscripted by the Japanese into their army in Manchuria. A year later, he was captured by the Red Army after the Battle of Khalkhin-Gol and sent to a labour camp. The Soviet military authorities, at a moment of crisis in 1942, drafted him, along with thousands of other prisoners, into their forces.

Then, early in 1943 he was taken prisoner at the Battle of Kharkov in Ukraine by the German army.

In 1944, now in German uniform, he was sent to France to serve with one of the Wehrmacht’s eastern battalions made up of Soviet prisoners to defend Normandy at the base of the Cotentin peninsula. After time in a prison camp in Britain, he went to the United States. Yang settled there and died in Illinois in 1992.
[...]
source

A quite interesting story. Yeah, it was published in the Daily Fail, but the author's name should ring some bells. It's pretty well written, as the author doesn't take the moral high ground and judges the guy, but tries to make the reader understand his situation. Later on, the article describes some other events in WW2 from the pov of the common people.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 11:07 AM   #2
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105

I rented a dvd this past summer that played out this story. I fail to recall the name of film but thought it was good. Although subtitled it focused on the hatred between the Korean and Japaneese characters through the whole movie.
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 11:18 AM   #3
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default Found Movie Title

My Way
http://www.redbox.com/movies/my-way

After emerging as bitter rivals and enemies as young marathon runners, Korean native Kim Jun-shik and Japanese aristocrat Tatsuo Hasegawa both find themselves in the Japanese army, fighting the Chinese and Soviets in a bloody battle. Jun-shik is there under duress, while Tatsuo is a powerful colonel. After both are taken prisoner by the Soviets, their mutual hatred and mistrust boils over into a violence that is only stopped by the continuing horror of the war. Forced to fight for the fithSoviets, the two eventually rely on each other for survival, making it to Germany, where they are in turn separated and forced to fight for the Nazis. They meet again at Normandy Beach, both unlikely survivors, bonded together by history as they struggle to survive one more terrible battle as the Allies arrive on D-Day.

Rated a 4.0 still thought it was good for the rental rate also!
fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 07:39 PM   #4
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
My Way
http://www.redbox.com/movies/my-way

After emerging as bitter rivals and enemies as young marathon runners, Korean native Kim Jun-shik and Japanese aristocrat Tatsuo Hasegawa both find themselves in the Japanese army, fighting the Chinese and Soviets in a bloody battle. Jun-shik is there under duress, while Tatsuo is a powerful colonel. After both are taken prisoner by the Soviets, their mutual hatred and mistrust boils over into a violence that is only stopped by the continuing horror of the war. Forced to fight for the fithSoviets, the two eventually rely on each other for survival, making it to Germany, where they are in turn separated and forced to fight for the Nazis. They meet again at Normandy Beach, both unlikely survivors, bonded together by history as they struggle to survive one more terrible battle as the Allies arrive on D-Day.

Rated a 4.0 still thought it was good for the rental rate also!
fith

That movie sounds good. I might just hunt that down...
Old 02-23-13, 09:29 PM   #5
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

I just ordered it from amazon.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 12:02 AM   #6
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I'd tip my hat to Yang Kyoungjong if he where still living most people if they where faced with going through all that would have taken their own lives and given up.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 09:15 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quite extraordinary set of circumstances...I wonder if he ever really knew where his loyalties lay.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 09:19 AM   #8
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Ya wanna stay alive! Follow orders!

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Old 02-24-13, 09:31 AM   #9
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Triple agent XXX then
Old 02-24-13, 12:32 PM   #10
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

There's much more of those than you would think.

English and Germans fighting against the bolsheviks, immediately after WW1 in 1919 and 1920, Americans joining the SS and fight the Russians together with the Finns and staying there until 1945, stay-behind troops behind the WW2 russian steam roll and fighting as partisans (yes, also english and american ones), or germans who went, or were taken to, the USA, England and Russia after WW2.
Not so much black and white, and of course seldomly mentioned in those official history lessons.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 12:13 AM   #11
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Default My Way

I just finished watching My Way on my 'puter. Good movie IF you like blood, guts and gore.

Old 02-26-13, 02:00 PM   #12
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
There's much more of those than you would think.

English and Germans fighting against the bolsheviks, immediately after WW1 in 1919 and 1920, Americans joining the SS and fight the Russians together with the Finns and staying there until 1945, stay-behind troops behind the WW2 russian steam roll and fighting as partisans (yes, also english and american ones), or germans who went, or were taken to, the USA, England and Russia after WW2.
Not so much black and white, and of course seldomly mentioned in those official history lessons.

I know that it was very common for the Germans to force Soviet POWs to fight for them usually ones form outlying states like the Georgia and especially Mongolians that where in the Red Army.

This person is a bit different though because he was forced to fight for three different sides.Most other only where forced to fight for their captures and only once (Soviet POW forced to fight for Germany)
Old 02-26-13, 07:06 PM   #13
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I know that it was very common for the Germans to force Soviet POWs to fight for them usually ones form outlying states like the Georgia and especially Mongolians that where in the Red Army.

This person is a bit different though because he was forced to fight for three different sides.Most other only where forced to fight for their captures and only once (Soviet POW forced to fight for Germany)
In the movie he had a choice....Fight or die. Some choice. I think I would fight.

Old 02-26-13, 08:08 PM   #14
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

They should make a movie about him.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 08:25 PM   #15
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
In the movie he had a choice....Fight or die. Some choice. I think I would fight.

I would fight as well and then surrender to the nearest allied unit as soon as possible if I was fighting in western Europe if I was near an SS unit I might just sneak in and off as many as possible before they kill me a worthy trade off.This is what most forced labor combatants did when they where under German control.If in the Soviet Union I'd try to escape and attach myself to a Soviet unit if I prove helpful they wont ask any questions and assume that I am new troop skip from one unit to another if need be.Soviet soldiers that had been captured and escaped would sometimes get back to Soviet lines and attach themselves to a unit they really kept fairly poor track of new troops so you could easily avoid suspicion which was placed on any person taken POW that escaped.

Either choice though you may die the true choice is do you die on your feet or on your knees I do not plan on dying on my knees at least on my feet I have a chance of survival.Of course if you are born into this world then you will also pass from it one way or another.

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-26-13 at 08:36 PM.

Tags
ww2, yang kyoungjong