SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-12, 08:17 AM   #16
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thank you for the nice comment guys

Let me know what is you favourite version, and keep me informed on any bug or any ping fx availabe on the web that you think should be added to this tiny mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad29 View Post
I suggest to something like in green to Your mod presentation

Thank you vlad,

how could I have been overlooking such an important disclaimer before? I will consult my lawyer and see to rectify the mistake with the next version

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Do you have permission to use something that is green and spins
PS nice mod .
Something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonA View Post
The label is nice but it is not be displayed correctly.
That's maybe due to my pc-screen resolution.
Yep, try increasing screen resolution: in order to reduce file size, I had to split the animated banner in 4 parts. Normally, the first three parts should be on the same line, but due to your reduced resolution the 3rd one is misaligned, thus spoiling the final effect
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 01:46 PM   #17
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

If anyone has a single mission to test these sonar-sounds please send a link.
Old 10-28-12, 06:41 PM   #18
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonA View Post
If anyone has a single mission to test these sonar-sounds please send a link.
Fx updates test mission
Old 10-30-12, 06:08 AM   #19
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Fx updates test mission
I don_t understand. What do you mean with "Fx"? A future Fix?
Old 10-30-12, 07:03 AM   #20
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

FX Update for SH5 by TheDarkWraith - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174511

included test single mission..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 05:11 PM   #21
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Awesome mod Gap
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 05:49 PM   #22
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Yep, nice work, many thanks gap!
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-13, 05:38 AM   #23
gap
Navy Seal

I am glad you are enjoying this mod, guys

Any suggestion on further optional ping FX that could be added?
Old 02-06-13, 08:06 AM   #24
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Wonderful work, Gap

Keep goin' the good work !!

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-13, 09:12 AM   #25
Hangman195
Swabbie

Downloads: 47

Nice sounds especially distorted one but is it possible to use randomly different ping sounds like it is not same all the time
Hangman195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-13, 11:19 AM   #26
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman195 View Post
Nice sounds especially distorted one but is it possible to use randomly different ping sounds like it is not same all the time
I know some sounds can be scripted, but I don't know much more on this topic. Maybe Stormfly or Philipp_Thomsen can answer your question
Old 08-15-15, 09:44 AM   #27
goodpoints
Watch

Downloads: 87

I know at least the "distorted" and "high pitched" tracks are recorded from the SONAR station on the surface ship , NOT from the target submarine. (hence the jumpy rhythm you hear, that's the ping, then the echo off a close range target) Here's the full recording that the clip comes from: http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploa...07/track30.mp3 Most sonar recordings I've heard seem to also be recorded from the transceiver end. Also note that the sound is not the actual pulse by itself, but the sound the operator is hearing from the speakers, the emissions are at the very high end of the human hearing spectrum (16-24 KHz) and are blended with a lower frequency tone, while retaining the other properties of the original pulse/echo, through a process called heterodyning to provide the audible aid to the operator (that's all the characteristic noise itself is, an aid) see: http://www.maritime.org/doc/sonar/chap7.htm for technical info on receivers

The same sequence recorded from the target sub: http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploa...07/track32.mp3

Granted, there's no indication of the range those pings were recorded at (or what kind of coating it has), but it's definitely much more subtle. (though potentially just as unnerving) Most of that sound I believe would originate from the harmonic resonance of the sub rather than the actual pulse.

I'm curious where you found the booming one, though it still sound like the transceiver end, as well as likely synthesized (not that there's anything wrong with the later since I doubt there's many actual recordings, but it should at least sound like it's heard from the correct end)

Here's something interesting though, a recent recording of the active sonar transceiver on board the restored USS Lionfish: That could be used (or serve as inspiration for synthesis) for the ranging and depth ping on the U-Boats if there's no recording or info on what the German transceivers sounded like. note: if you do search for that, I'm almost 100% sure every one of these http://www.uboataces.com/ref-sonar-sounds.shtml are fake.
goodpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-15, 01:13 PM   #28
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpoints View Post
I know at least the "distorted" and "high pitched" tracks are recorded from the SONAR station on the surface ship , NOT from the target submarine. (hence the jumpy rhythm you hear, that's the ping, then the echo off a close range target) Here's the full recording that the clip comes from: http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploa...07/track30.mp3 Most sonar recordings I've heard seem to also be recorded from the transceiver end. Also note that the sound is not the actual pulse by itself, but the sound the operator is hearing from the speakers, the emissions are at the very high end of the human hearing spectrum (16-24 KHz) and are blended with a lower frequency tone, while retaining the other properties of the original pulse/echo, through a process called heterodyning to provide the audible aid to the operator (that's all the characteristic noise itself is, an aid) see: http://www.maritime.org/doc/sonar/chap7.htm for technical info on receivers
Thank you for your remarks good point, you made some... good point.
I confirm: the the "distorted" and "high pitched" sound fx included in this mod are taken from that recording, and they are, therefore, the sounds heard by the sonar operarator.

Quote:
The same sequence recorded from the target sub: http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploa...07/track32.mp3

Granted, there's no indication of the range those pings were recorded at (or what kind of coating it has), but it's definitely much more subtle. (though potentially just as unnerving) Most of that sound I believe would originate from the harmonic resonance of the sub rather than the actual pulse.
Stock sonar ping is ca. 2.744 seconds long. A longer sound fx would be truncated every time a new pulse is generated, so that only the beginning of the file would be actually heard. I have cut two samples of the same duration off the recording pointed by you. I would like you to hear them and to tell me which one represents better the real thing. You can download them form here.
And, as we are at it, the said recording got a lot of background noise similar to the static noise of a radio receiver. I wonder if that noise should be heard from inside the sub, or if it is rather caused by some some sort of electromagnetic interference during the recording of the sound pulses.

Quote:
I'm curious where you found the booming one, though it still sound like the transceiver end, as well as likely synthesized (not that there's anything wrong with the later since I doubt there's many actual recordings, but it should at least sound like it's heard from the correct end)
I am sorry, but it has been a long time since the release of this little mod, and I forgot where I got the original samples from. Shame on me for not taking note of my sources in the aknowledgements section of the readme file

Quote:
Here's something interesting though, a recent recording of the active sonar transceiver on board the restored USS Lionfish: That could be used (or serve as inspiration for synthesis) for the ranging and depth ping on the U-Boats if there's no recording or info on what the German transceivers sounded like. note: if you do search for that, I'm almost 100% sure every one of these http://www.uboataces.com/ref-sonar-sounds.shtml are fake.
Recording that sound and post-processing it for use in game should be quite easy

Last edited by gap; 08-18-15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 01:43 PM   #29
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

This is fantastic work!
Well done!

KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ping, sonar, sound