SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-18, 01:46 PM   #1
Kelly621
Officer

Downloads: 336
Uploads: 0
Default Great Legs!...six years later.

Hi All
almost six years ago I posted the following and had some interesting responds.

Quote:
Great Legs!

No, it not what you were thinking.... What I mean is that SH3 is one long legged U-boat sim. It has been out for eight years now and still going pretty strong. The player community here and on other websites are still very active. There are several super mods and tons of individual mods that allow you to shape SH3 into pretty much what you want. There are still modders here working on new mods and keeping some old mods up to date. Finally, SH3 has weathered all the different Operating Systems from Windows 98 up to the current Windows 8 and still keeps running fine.

So what is going to kill off SH3 and put it in the "I use to love that sim" and move it down to the Subsim radio room Classic subsim forum? Just wondering what you all think will do it.

My meager thoughts on the subject:
SH5....maybe...in a few years, but not yet for me personally.

A new U-Boat sim....maybe....But I am not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

A loss of interest....I personally don't think so

A new PC OS....This I think is likely. Eventually a new OS ( Microsoft sure spits them out quickly anymore) is going to make SH3 almost impossible to get up and running correctly. I think this is the likely death of SH3.

But hey! I am sure going to enjoy as long as I can.

Well here it is almost 6 years later and there are still new mods and super mods being added...the latest WAC 5.01 and a newer version of LSH in development. Seems like no one has lost interest is SH3 just yet Well the forum is a bit slower, but certainly not dead.

SH5 especially with the Wolves of Steel mod has been a great improvement..but it still has not replaced SH3 for me. There are a few Sub games in development, such as U Boat...but I am not convinced they will replace SH3.

We now have Windows 10 and SH3 is still chugging along. I still think it is going to be a new OS that finally does the old girl in but it sure has not happened in the six years that have pasted since my original post

Any thoughts ?
Kelly621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 02:20 PM   #2
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

Well it looks like SH3 is alive and kicking as long as there are players to play and especially moders whose mods keep the game alive.

I would like to thank them all and congratulate them on a job excellently done.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 10:50 AM   #3
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Recently dusted off my copy of SHIII and it is stil a joy to play. I remember deckgunning ships from a type VIIC with my eldest son sitting in my lap...and now he's outgrown met and will graduate somewhere next year. That's how long SHIII has been around....and it still rocks!