SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-18, 09:02 PM   #6316
Milano
Swabbie

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

I apologize, I don't have both installed. Frankly I tried one didn't see a splash screen then tried the other one as well.
Milano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 09:42 PM   #6317
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano View Post
I apologize, I don't have both installed. Frankly I tried one didn't see a splash screen then tried the other one as well.
Steam can present the user with some challenges. You cannot install the Silent Hunter games in any of the "Program Files" folders in Windows. Those are "protected" by Windows from alteration by "unauthorized" sources. JSGME is not a 'modern' Windows app, and is therefore "unauthorized", as far as Windows is concerned. When you apply mods to files in the "Program Files" folder, Windows "sees" the activity and rolls some of the changes back to the original files. The dds files (pictures) are generally left alone, but to a "T", all of the "cfg" files, which Silent Hunter uses to configure the game, Windows interprets those as "system" files, and puts them back. You end up with partially activated mods, and this will often crash the computer.

Look through THEBERBSTER's thread SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <... for help, paying particular attention to the ones designated with ">Steam User Information". As an example, I responded in Started installing mods - need help to a person needing to move their Steam games install. Steam stays where it is in the Program Files folder, but Silent Hunter gets moved. The Steam site itself has Moving a Steam Installation and Games, which is linked to in the previous link. If you have multiple hard drives in your computer, you can use the Steam Library, as depicted in my picture in the thread linked above, but if you only have one drive, you'll have to do the move manually, as they show on the Steam page, in the second half of their post. Once you get the games moved to a folder of your own choice, the mods should then "stick" after you activate them... Patience is key here, because it will take a while to move things. But after that, and after following some of the links THEBERBSTER has for the Wolves of Steel, you might actually like SH5 better than SH4, though I think you'll like Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate the best...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 10:09 PM   #6318
Milano
Swabbie

Darn, well thank you very much for the detailed answer and links. I will be reading through this and going from there. Thank you again
Old 07-12-18, 02:04 PM   #6319
propbeanie

You're welcome. Let us know how you get along!

Old 07-12-18, 10:46 PM   #6320
Milano
Swabbie

I must say your directions are tip top! After doing all the stuff in option 2 (the change steam directory manually thing), then verifying reinstalling JSGME, etc then to launch and see Yamamoto's quote about the awaking the dragon I almost fell out of my chair! Thank you.

Alittle problem though. As it is first loading it gives several errors and crashes back to Steam. The errors are "There is a new (not implemented) page: <page choose load\save> !" then "There is a new... <player rank>" then "<page intelligenceunits> <WeaponsAndSensors> then the error "Menu id not found: 0x6101000b"

Any help with these errors?
Old 07-12-18, 11:29 PM   #6321
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
I must say your directions are tip top! After doing all the stuff in option 2 (the change steam directory manually thing), then verifying reinstalling JSGME, etc then to launch and see Yamamoto's quote about the awaking the dragon I almost fell out of my chair! Thank you.

Alittle problem though. As it is first loading it gives several errors and crashes back to Steam. The errors are "There is a new (not implemented) page: <page choose load\save> !" then "There is a new... <player rank>" then "<page intelligenceunits> <WeaponsAndSensors> then the error "Menu id not found: 0x6101000b"

Any help with these errors?
You have Buyed silent hunter by Steam, and SH4 uboat mission? You need this
Old 07-12-18, 11:53 PM   #6322
Milano
Swabbie

Yea I bought both of them, and installed both. This is getting frustrating, thank you all very much for you're continued help.

Edit-- So I have been searching for anything about this and cannot find anything. I also disabled the mod and restarted the vanilla game. I see that is v1.3 Does this help with anything?

Last edited by Milano; 07-13-18 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 12:38 AM   #6323
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano
So I have been searching for anything about this and cannot find anything. I also disabled the mod and restarted the vanilla game. I see that is v1.3 Does this help with anything?
That's a good and important hint.

Obviously you have not yet installed or activated SH4 V1.5 (UBM).
This causes your problems...
Old 07-13-18, 09:01 AM   #6324
Milano
Swabbie

Thank you. More and more ften Steam drives me crazy...
Old 07-13-18, 09:27 AM   #6325
propbeanie

Steam isn't so bad, it's the Windows versus the "Legacy" game, which is now going on 15 years old, counting the SH3 release... Do the same set-up for your v1.5 install, as Bleiente suggests, and use it to mod with. As far as I'm aware, there are very few mods available for the v1.3 game around anymore...

Old 07-13-18, 10:43 AM   #6326
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Thank you. More and more ften Steam drives me crazy...
I have SH4 steam,believe me Milano good work with steam never problem

Ehy Milano.. Maybe you Italian?
Old 07-13-18, 12:01 PM   #6327
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Mhmm... i have a "stupid" question.
What is the correct installation order for FORTSU?

I also wanted to test it now, but it does not work - crashes after activating the modes (FortsU V0.71) when starting the game.

I have used WinRar to unpack, but I can also try again with 7z...
Old 07-13-18, 01:51 PM   #6328
propbeanie

There are a few instances when the game will crash. Be sure and read the ReadMe file "010_Cumulative_Fix_May_20_2018 README.txt", found in the mod's "root" folder "100b_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.72_PublicBeta _EN" after un-zipping the mod. The file has this:
What needs to be removed from the Fotrs Ultimate v0.63......

Before going further, FOTRS Ultimate will need to have three ship units removed from the Data/Submarine folder:

"AI_Fleetboat"............. ClassName=AIFleetboat
"NSS_AI_Uboat9d2".......... ClassName=AITypeIXD2
"NSS_Uboat9"............... ClassName=German Uboat

These units are replaced with the present AI_Subs and should not be used. These ships are not Stock game units, and need to be removed from the Ultimate v0.63 mod. The three units have additional files in the “Data/Roster/American (German)/Submarine” folders:

AIFleetboat.cfg
AITypeIXD2.cfg
German Sub.cfg

These three need to be eliminated too.

If you have those subs in the game when you do the v0.71 update on top of an existing FotRSU v0.63 iinstall, they won't be deleted. They will cause a CTD when encountered.

Next up. are the changes to the Campaign and quite a few of the ships' calls. You ~HAVE~ to have a clean game install and a ~CLEAN~ Save folder for the game (also helps with the above), else it will CTD due to, as an example, some of the Type=6 CL now becoming Type=18, which is now "Light Warships with Scout Planes". If you have done that, then the issue(s) would be beyond what I can tell...

Old 07-13-18, 02:02 PM   #6329
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Edit:
I am sorry, my mistake.
Will try again today.

Last edited by Bleiente; 07-13-18 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 03:09 PM   #6330
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

You can find the FOTRS in the download section of Subsim. The version is .71 and it is in beta. Or you can go to the first page of this thread and find the link there too! Enjoy! They have done a great job!
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote