Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-08, 05:21 AM   #16
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
is RSR really worth investing the time in?
Of course it is!

The campaign system is a blast and you will be surprized how much details it simulates. It beats even DW in various ways.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 06:24 AM   #17
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

Quote:
So, if you've played most of the modern games, but do like retro-gaming (like playing AOD) is RSR really worth investing the time in? Or is it too dated when compared to a Harpoon or SC/DW?
Yes, it's a classic game worth the time. But, if you do decide to check it out, then if possible, seek out an original boxed copy with the full manual. The manual is a big part of the RSR experience in the classic Microprose style, well written, informative and really helps set the mood for playing the game. And, as has been said many times, the campaign is a blast to play, with the different time frames and subs available, years of replay value (and I mean YEARS). One of Sid Meier's best, IMO. It's only dated in graphics, the gameplay is timeless.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 07:31 AM   #18
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop
Yes, it's a classic game worth the time. But, if you do decide to check it out, then if possible, seek out an original boxed copy with the full manual. The manual is a big part of the RSR experience in the classic Microprose style, well written, informative and really helps set the mood for playing the game.
If you can't find a boxed copy or if it comes without manuals you might find the manuals as pdf somewhere.

Quote:
It's only dated in graphics, the gameplay is timeless.
Although I must say the dated grafics never really cared me, I would even say the dated grafics gives a big nostalgia bonus to the experience, reminds you on the good old times
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 12:49 PM   #19
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

wow...

Thats all I can say.

Wow. I for one can not WAIT to be able to play this on my windows machine. I am GLAD that he is basing this on the Amiga version.

I am an avid player of RSR. I used to play it on an Amiga all the time. Alas, my beloved Amiga died one day and I could not play it. The IBM version sucked by comparison. The graphics, sound, and ease of play were just not the same. I could not really play it with as much enjoyment.

Then one day WinUAE came to be and I could play it again when I just wanted to have fun.

To those who say that the dynamic campaign is simplistic, it may be, but there was a playability and a feedback for your actions. It REALLY made you sweat and try harder

I have the manual for Red Storm Rising. I never got rid of it as I was hoping to find a used Amiga to play it again on. If you want, and you have the patience, I can scan the entire manual cover to cover.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 05:41 PM   #20
SandyCaesar
Chief

Downloads: 0

Yeah, maybe this is going waaay too far, but I'd like to see a few features added to RSR. Like the ability to leave more than one knuckle in the water, or--long shot--multiplayer maybe, both co-op and sub-on-sub. LAN wolfpacks, yum.

But I still play RSR on DosBOX. There's nothing like sneaking up on a 24kt Alfa-class, swimming a Mk-48 above the layer at 8000 yards, then steering it into his baffles, dropping it below the layer, cut the wire, and...

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 10:44 PM   #21
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I'm stoked that this guy made a version of Kenedy Approach ! I used to LOVE that game on the C64 !
Old 10-25-08, 10:51 AM   #22
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The game itself is certainly outstanding from what I have readed so far. The real pity is that this guys doesn't seem to be willing to use the modern computer power and technology and add better graphics. I'm not talking about graphics acceleration or even 3D environment, but just about better screen resolution and overall 2D graphics. Even with Silent Hunter I graphics this game would look so much cooler and be som much more playable, that it would be amazing.
Old 10-25-08, 12:21 PM   #23
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

In a project like making a remake for Red Storm Rising, the most important things to code right are :
-the gameplay mechanics
-the AI

Because they are the backbone of everything in Red Storm Rising, and that's why the coder is focusing on those currently according to what can be read in his website.

Graphic and interface resolutions can be improved in the end of the project with some 2D artist help (as a coder is not necessarly a graphic artist), after the priority goals have been reached.

I don't know if you ever heard about Battle for Wesnoth, an open source wargame project, but it was basically the same, in the original release graphics were not really the best part of it, gameplay was everything.

But versions after versions as gameplay was already done right, graphics got more focus in development and they are now a very lot more superb than they were originally.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 05:41 PM   #24
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I don't know if you ever heard about Battle for Wesnoth, an open source wargame project, but it was basically the same, in the original release graphics were not really the best part of it, gameplay was everything.

But versions after versions as gameplay was already done right, graphics got more focus in development and they are now a very lot more superb than they were originally.
Oh that's GREAT! I really would like to see improved graphics in that game, not just because of eye-candy but to improve playability. The game itself is really looking very complete and throughout, it just lacks that final touch in graphics -even if 2D ones-
Old 10-25-08, 06:06 PM   #25
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

Thanks for this thread!

I spent this afternoon reading the manual to see what the game is about. (Thinking about getting the book as I never read it. I remember it used to be common include theme books with games ... like when I got Flight of the Intruder from Spectrum Holobyte.)

Well, I can get my hands on the game for about $6 (DOS 5.25" ... I haven't seen one of those drives in years ... still always order systems with 3.5" drive ... but it will make my install legal). Reading the manual, conceptually the game should not be too big of a learning curve as all the necessary concepts I have already been exposed to with: Harpoon, Sub Command, and Dangerous Waters.

I am also highly influenced by the fact that it is a Sid Meier early game. So, many of his early games were master pieces like: RT1 and CIV. Although I think that more recent releases reflect much less genious, but instead an attempt to capitalize on the brand which is "Sid Meier".

I'll post back when I've got it set up.

Off to Amazon to see if I can find a cheap copy of the book. But one last question ... is reading the book going to spoil some of the suspense and possible paths of the game for me?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-08, 07:21 PM   #26
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Off to Amazon to see if I can find a cheap copy of the book. But one last question ... is reading the book going to spoil some of the suspense and possible paths of the game for me?
Don't think so. IMO, reading RSR and then playing the game will enhance your enjoyment. This is a sub game, but you can "fill in the blanks" with your imagination after reading the novel.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 07:34 PM   #27
SandyCaesar
Chief

Right, reading through the book will--if anything--increase your enjoyment of the game. It definitely won't spoil anything for you.

But if the game asks you to do an "Operation Doolittle" type mission...you will know, and you will have fun.

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 10:09 PM   #28
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I've been configuring this under DOSBOX. I think maybe I need to drop the CPU Cycles for the strategic transit. Things are wizing by and it looks like a fast edition of some 1980's arcade game. How many CPU cycles are you guys running the game with in DOSBOX? Is Strategic Transit supposed to have planes zipping back and forth?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-08, 10:22 PM   #29
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

I don't know how 'fast' you think fast should be, but I believe that was the purpose of the strategic transit. In fact, you should be able to move your sub even faster. I can't remember the exact key combination, but it might be a Shift+Arrow (or Ctrl+Arrow?) to have your sub moving at high transit speed.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 11:09 PM   #30
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

I have the cycles set at 6000
I have frameskip=1 but i don't know if it is necessary in the case of RSR, usually it helps with the mouse.
output=ddraw because usually for my system it is the output method that is the best
and i play windowed not full screen so the pixels are nicer to the eye.

Red Storm Rising seems to run at the correct speed with such settings.

In the main map, the planes move fast, satellites even more but not lighting fast to be unbelievable.
The enemy ships and subs move at a more slower speed like my sub, i believe them to be at normal speed if i remember well when i played this without DOSBox.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote