SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-10, 10:17 PM   #1
kevinh803
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Just installed 688(I)

I just discovered a copy of Jane's Naval warfare collection with Fleet Command, F-18, and 688(I). Got Fleet Command loaded and running (barely) on my windows 7 laptop, and 688 is running fantastic in XP mode. This is version 1 and I was wondering if I have to patch (realism?), or if I should leave well enough alone. Thanks for any and all help!
kevinh803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 11:26 AM   #2
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Right click on 688I_HK.exe and select Properties.
On the window appearing (i am not sure if it is the same in your window 7), there should be a tab named "Version"

There, ignore the "file version 1.0.0.0", Sonalyst did not updated the info there, but you should see a panel named "Other version information", in the list click on "Product Version".
If your 688 is already patched to the latest version, you should see " 1.07 ", so no need to patch as the "realism patch" is already installed on your game.

If you have an inferior version to 1.07, you can see what are the changes coming with the latest version here to decide if you want to patch or not :
http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/g...107_README.txt

The 1.07 download patch can be found there :
http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/g...s_content.html

The 1.07 patch is just a new version of 688I_HK.exe , so you can just backup your current one and use the 1.07 version to see if it works.
(on XP i had a need to download the updated renderware DLL listed under the 1.07 patch on Sonalyst website, but on Window 7 you may have no need or them, unless they are already installed on the version you have)
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 02:24 PM   #3
kevinh803
Swabbie

Default Thanks

Thanks, Rob. I'm in Windows 7 and the detail tab says version 1.0, so I guess I'll patch. Hate to do it since it's running so well, but I've been making bad decisions leading to screwed up computers for many years, so I guess I'll just keep it up! My only other problem is printing that huge manual, I've wasted over two hundred pages already. Appreciate the help. I'll probably be back here after the patch...
Old 02-06-10, 03:48 PM   #4
kevinh803
Swabbie

Default errored out

Yep, you got it...the patch done crashed in W7. Guess I'll be hookin' up with those DLL's, and screwing things up even more. Any help finding and using them would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-10, 04:09 PM   #5
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

For me on my XP, along placing the renderware DLL into the 688 directory, i need to setup the compatibility tab for 688I_HK.exe to Window 98, and "Disable visual themes" ticked.
Then i have no problem.

But notice that as i said the "patch" is just a newer 688I_HK.exe, to go back to your previous version, you just have to replace the newer 688I_HK.exe by your previous one.

Now if you install the renderware DLL, back up any already present DLL they may overwrite in your 688 directory.
Old 02-07-10, 10:16 AM   #6
kevinh803
Swabbie

Default Reply

I got it running, though it crashed out once, and once I couldn't get the sub to change speed, though that appears to have fixed itself. Does the patch just change the .ini file, or does it have some other improvements. I don't think I made any compatibility changes to this new .exe, so I'll go back and give that a try. Any recommendations for a nice short .txt file for learning how to play this game? Once again, thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-10, 10:41 AM   #7
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Yes, if you read the patch readme, 1.07 has some bugs fixed in comparison to 1.0 (towed array bug fixed in 1.02, broadband tracker not assigning correctly etc...).

There is a good 688HK FAQ here that should help you for the game mechanism and for the missions :
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...r_killer_a.txt

Even today 688 remains a very good subsim.
Old 02-07-10, 11:33 PM   #8
kevinh803
Swabbie

Default While you're here...

Do you have any recommendations for my next subsim? Something that'll run in 7, be easy to learn and use, but allow to get immersed and complicated if I should feel it? Thanks again.
Old 02-08-10, 02:07 AM   #9
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh803 View Post
Do you have any recommendations for my next subsim? Something that'll run in 7, be easy to learn and use, but allow to get immersed and complicated if I should feel it? Thanks again.
Sub Command and Dangerous Waters run in windows 7 (and Vista) 32 or 64 bits. You just have to install them outside the normal programs folder, otherwise UAC kicks in and makes life miserable.
I'd choose DW if only because it extends a lot the capabilities of Sub Command. Players have written tens of tutorials, strategy guides and you can find them all over the place (www.subguru.com for one, CADC for second etc...). And if you have problems, well thats what the DW section of this forum is for.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 12:33 PM   #10
kevinh803
Swabbie

Default Alrighty then...

Thank you for the kind assistance, gentlemen, I will try and make the best of 688 and maybe move up to DW. Your help is most gratefully appreciated!
Old 02-09-10, 10:56 PM   #11
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

688 has a very good campaign, featuring nice videos and all.
It has even a "gamey" upgrade system in which you can buy with the points earned from completing missions, allowing you to work around the fact there is only 1 playable submarine, as by customising it then you could "simulate" that you are driving some other sub.

I think this makes the campaign more enjoyable than in the later Sub Command and Dangerous Waters.

Something 688 has that Sub Command and Dangerous Water do not is the possibility to actually "hear" the faint sound coming from the enemy sub while you study the waterfall in broadband, you did not have to only use the waterfall and sonar peaks to figure out a contact.

This feature was removed in a Sub Command patch, as Sonalyst toned down a very lot the sound produced by the subs, so you could not really hear them anymore yourself (as the sound of the water was then higher) you could only hear the surface vessels, torpedoes and biologic, and from what i read Sonalyst kept those the same in Dangerous Water.
Old 02-15-10, 05:18 PM   #12
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie View Post
688 has a very good campaign, featuring nice videos and all.
It has even a "gamey" upgrade system in which you can buy with the points earned from completing missions, allowing you to work around the fact there is only 1 playable submarine, as by customising it then you could "simulate" that you are driving some other sub.

I think this makes the campaign more enjoyable than in the later Sub Command and Dangerous Waters.

Something 688 has that Sub Command and Dangerous Water do not is the possibility to actually "hear" the faint sound coming from the enemy sub while you study the waterfall in broadband, you did not have to only use the waterfall and sonar peaks to figure out a contact.

This feature was removed in a Sub Command patch, as Sonalyst toned down a very lot the sound produced by the subs, so you could not really hear them anymore yourself (as the sound of the water was then higher) you could only hear the surface vessels, torpedoes and biologic, and from what i read Sonalyst kept those the same in Dangerous Water.
I recently got 688i running in a virtual WindowsXP using qemu on my Linux laptop and I have to say I was surprised how well this game has held up. Hard to believe it was originally release in 1997. The 3D view now looks pretty cheesy, but other than that it still plays quite well.

I has to laugh when I read the recommended system requirements for 688i - a 90 MHz Pentium with 16 MB of RAM and Windows95. Even trolling eBay I think you'd have trouble finding a system that limited today.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 05:07 AM   #13
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for telling us to change the comptability tab, I could not get my version 1.07 running because of not knowing that!

Easy
Old 04-01-10, 05:10 AM   #14
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakarpatska View Post
I recently got 688i running in a virtual WindowsXP using qemu on my Linux laptop and I have to say I was surprised how well this game has held up. Hard to believe it was originally release in 1997. The 3D view now looks pretty cheesy, but other than that it still plays quite well.

Does the audio of the game work ? I mean sound effects and all ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 09:05 AM   #15
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie View Post
Yes, if you read the patch readme, 1.07 has some bugs fixed in comparison to 1.0 (towed array bug fixed in 1.02, broadband tracker not assigning correctly etc...).

There is a good 688HK FAQ here that should help you for the game mechanism and for the missions :
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...r_killer_a.txt

Even today 688 remains a very good subsim.
interesting, that link says external link access not allowed!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote