SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-11, 10:15 AM   #1
Death2allofu
Swabbie

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 0
Torpedo Training!!! Help!

I'm a massive fan of SH4. I've had it for over a year and a half now. Theres just one problem. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to conduct a torpedo attack on moving ships.

I've tried as many training missions and walk-troughs as i can find. I know how to launch torpedoes (drrr) and I know everything about the boat. But I still can't figure out where i should fire my torpedoes at.

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys!

(If you're wondering how I've been playing, I've gotten amazing at sneaking into harbors and blowing everything in them to high heaven. Also, I've gotten great a surface raids.)

Last edited by Death2allofu; 03-24-11 at 10:54 AM.
Death2allofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:53 AM   #2
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Ahoy Death,
I'm assuming that you're using manual targeting. Do you also use TMO or any other supermod?
If not, If you're using manual targeting and you have your weapons officer option enabled then you may need to go back to square one and see if your actually collecting all the data the system needs to score a hit. Also make sure you get as close in as possible. I like under 2000 yrds, 1000 if possible.

As you know you need 4 pieces of data, Bearing to target, Angle on bow, Range to target and Speed of your target. Thats it! Once that is programed into the TDC if the ship continues on it's course and your torpedo is good you should score if your close enough. I'm sure you will get more questions and pointers from the other skippers here. Keep plugging away and keep asking questions and the skippers here will get you sinking ships.
Good Hunting
D40
Old 03-24-11, 11:04 AM   #3
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Welcome aboard.

Take a look at the Dick O'Kane method and the John Cromwell method. Links are in the helpful hints/bag of tricks sticky. They are pretty easy to use.
Like Dogfish said, you need some vital pieces of information input into the TDC-range, speed, AOB, and bearing. There are numerous methods for gathering that information. Search around the forums for some of the more common.

The TDC is like any computer-garbage in, garbage out. This game is not like a point and shoot game. You need patience and time to develop your solutions. The more observations and the more accurate your observations and information, you'll hit more often.

Don't be afraid to ask more specific questions.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 11:30 AM   #4
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Manual targeting tips

Fire them at the target.

So you feel like this, do you?

Seriously, look at the Skipper's Bag of Tricks sticky thread for various techniques. Learn the O'Kane technique as it is fast and easy. That will get you in the water, so to speak.

To understand the theory of manual targeting, read Hitman's tutorial on Maual Targeting at 100% Realism. It is a PDF. Print and play through some missions until you undertand it. This where I started, and I knew nothing about the subject when I began.

If you want to pracitice any attack techniques, including the above, download and activate via JGSME Rockin Robbins' Dick O'Kane practice mission. You practice sinking a tanker in the waters of southern California. The mission can be replayed as many times as you want as you practice.

Hitman's tutorial will help you understand the concept of a target's aspect ratio (it's profile to your boat, which affect the determination of its length as observed through the periscope, and Aob.) You will need to perform some basic math calculations as you work through the tutorial, but once the concept sinks that step will not be required. Also, download and activate the Easy Aob mod from Neal Steven's Popular Mods sticky thread in the mods forum. You will need it later.

Tackling manual targeting seems like a daunting task at first, but once you hit a target it will begin to make sense. Learning this is not a ten minute task. You will spend several hours on the learning curve, and the rest of your career perfecting it and gettng the desired mod set up.

Another basic attack is the constant bearing technique discussed in RocknShoals thread in the Skipper's Bag of Tricks sticky.

Auto targeting - cannot help you on that one, except to say that when the target triangle is green you are good to go.

Come back, tell us how you are doing, and bring cigars when you are ready to announce you are battle ready.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 06:44 PM   #5
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

A list of the mods you're running and the degree of difficulty (map contacts on or off) you're playing will make it a lot easier for us to help you.

With map contacts on it is pretty easy to do manual targeting, all you need is some practice and some good information on how to do things.

If you have read all the training post and still have questions don't be afraid to ask, we've all been there at one time or another.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 03:58 AM   #6
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

hey death,

listen, your only objective, is to obtain a close to abeam posture to the incoming ships. If you play the training mission in vanilla, the cruiser is a mogami, speed 12 knots and holding, all you need to do is O'kanes firing method.

In a near ideal 90 degree position all you need to remember is that AOB is a 10 degree increment from 90 or an addition if they're coming starboard side.

With this little piece of information, and with the actual sighting of the ship, you're able to trace the ship without sonar. a 5 minute observation with yo-yo scoping is all you need to get a plot and bearing. Connect the dots, and if you're divergent add 2 degrees right or subtract if left. rinse and repeat as deemed necessary and eventually you'll hit. Just don't grow despair and learn that great skippers like Mush Morton and Rich O'kane were in school too.
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 09:32 PM   #7
Patrick_Hillary
Watch

Downloads: 43
Default Death to the Stranger

*.Ahoy, "Deathtoallofyou". Glad to see that you like the game. Manual Targeting will take an hour to learn but a lifetime to master, however it is very rewarding when you get the hang of it. This I think will be a long post, so you will require patience and perserverance to work it all out. I will invite all critics.***.Here we go.****..First and most important, in order to collect all relevant data you will need to position your boat ahead of the Target. Easier at night...The T.D.C/ Position keeper will do all the necciary work if you treat her right. Try to make an I.D. of your target a.s.a.p. Enter the mast height into the TDC using the tick icon, alternativly do it manualy using the input on top right...Fix your scope on Target and lock it with "L", key. Input a guess of the target speed, 12 Knots, might be ok to start. Input the percieved angle on the bow. Now use the stadimeter and touch the waterline of the ship to the top of the mast. Enter the bearing/range to the TDC. Click twice the first time you do this. Click on the red GSP button on the bottom left of the TDC. This will begin the psudo track of the target with the infomation that you have entered, which by the way is always in error/incorrect. By how much deciedes whether you hit the Target or not..Now the position keeper part of the TDC will constantly update the track of the target..***.The first piece of info which we will require is the Target course. This is displayed top left of the TDC as a boat shape. You will notice at the bow of the target boat is a compass, you can read of the course from here. Also you will see the torpeodo strike angle, repersented as a red arrow. As well as the angle on the bow which will change as the Target moves along the track.***.NOTE.***.I don't know if all this info is available on stock, I would recomend RFB mod + RSRD. The guy's might be able to direct you to the above...Now around three minutes after your initial input, say Target is 5000 yards range, look at the range readout on the TDC. This numder should be counting down, range closing. Take a new range reading with the stadimeter, If the new range is less than the PK, (Position Keeper), reading then either,(1), the Target course is bearing more toward you than your first input, E.G. First Input was course 270, your course 000. Now you will change the Target course to say 250, using the AOW,(Angle on bow), input......Or,(2), the Target course is good, but he is traveling faster than 12 Knots, which will acount for the range being closer than the PK readout. If the AOB is 40 degrees or less then it is more likely the speed which is out, if the AOB is greater that 40 Deg then it is most probally the Target course which is in error. Input the new data into the TDC. E.G. Course 250, speed 12K, range now 4000. Repeat these steps every 2 minutes until the range on the PK and the observed range are in and around the same. There will be some error in your range estimate always. Now we have a good estimate of the ships course. The AOB will change on the PK as the ship tracks along his course....Look at the bottom boat shape on the TDC. This is your Sub. If you point the mouse over the red line you will see the Target ship bearing. It will give you a readout of the reletive bearing of the Target ship E.G.30 Deg Starbord. Now we will use the PK to find the Targets speed. Take a new range/bearing and input into the TDC. Wait for one minute and now look at what the TDC is telling you regards the Bearing. Observe the bearing with the periscope/ Bridge-mastersight. If you notice a difference between the two then the original speed entered is incorrect. If the TDC says bearing is 35 Deg Starbord, but you observe the Target on 38 Deg then the speed that you have entered is too fast, ie. he is travelling slower than the entered speed. If the TDC says 35 Deg Starbord and you observe the Target on 32 Deg then you have entered the speed too slow, he is traveling faster than your input.....The PK of the TDC is constantly updating the ships theoritical course and speed, the difference between what the TDC reading is and the observed data gives you the Error of input. ..By correcting the data entered you should arrive at a situation where the TDC data coincides perfectly with what you are seeing, ie as the ship tracks along its course the TDC bearing will match the observed bearing, the TDC angle on the bow will match what you are seeing and the range will be reducing at the same rate on the TDC as is is in reality.***.This will take alot of practice.***. Perhaps you can use friendly ships outside the harbour to see if you can track them accuratly. IMPORTANT NOTE. A differance in TDC/Observed bearing does not always meen that you have entered an incorect speed. If the ship is closer to you than than you think he will move farther along the track at the same speed than if he were farther away, and you may think that he is going faster. The reverse is true if the Target is farther away than your estimate...When you have set your fish for depth/speed open the outer doors/flood tubes. Your Beautiful TDC will constantly send the required lead/gyro angle to ALL of your torpedo tubes. Take a final range to target. Input. Correct speed if neccesary. Input. Ajust AOB if neccesary. Input.***.There are two/three/more ways to shoot the Torpedoes...****.Easy way is just shoot and spread with the spread angle dial. Tube one right 3/ Tube two dead center/ Tube three left 3 etc. With the PK on and running****.D 'O Kane method. Turn PK off!!! Aim at rear mast, input new bearing, shoot. Aim at center of ship, input new bearing, shoot. Aim at foremast, input new bearing, shoot. This is a diverging spread.***.Or, a longditudinal spread, For which you will turn the PK off, aim at the bow, input new bearing and shoot your fish as the ship crosses the aiming "wire", formast center rearmast. I am sure that there are other methods at administering the coup de grace, but a diverging spread is the best for countering an evasive target.***. I wish you sucess with your long hours of practice, with work this method of PK tracking is 90% effective, for me anyway. Gute Schlacht und Fettes Botte.
Patrick_Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 10:08 PM   #8
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171

wow...paragraphs please hahaha!
Old 03-27-11, 10:17 PM   #9
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Hillary View Post
*.Ahoy, "Deathtoallofyou". Manual Targeting will take an hour to learn but a lifetime to master....
It will take you a lifetime to read his post. Ever heard of the word "paragraph?"

Read Hitman's tutorial. He has pictures and short paragaraphs, too.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 03-28-11 at 12:13 AM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 09:14 AM   #10
Death2allofu
Swabbie

Downloads: 278
Patrick_Hillary, thank you so much, thats really what I was looking for. And thanks guys, all you input is appreciated.
Death2allofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, location, torpedoes, training