SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-07, 09:53 AM   #46
Tassaddar
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I am about getting a copy of 3DS Max 3.1 so let me know if you need any help converting.
Tassaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 10:08 AM   #47
Tassaddar
Watch

I agree with Sea Queen and TLAM; it would be great to get more land units and man portable weapons. Remember Jane's WWII Fighters? There were ground untis such infantrymen, horse-drawn charts, field guns, trucks, tanks...

It would rock to have some bad guys in technicals to blast them from the shore with the Phalanx or the OTO-Melara gun. :hmm: Ground support missions would bring renewed interest in surface and AA-SA warfare rather than always centering on ASW one.
Old 09-03-07, 08:34 PM   #48
To be
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 8

Air combat is really bad in DW, in practice it is completely unworkable. It is possible to fake air to air and air to surface combat with scripts, but if you try setting up a true aerial attack (or defense), the limitations of the DW engine become obvious.
To be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 09:44 PM   #49
lorcan3
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
What era?

Of what era are we talking of? I served during the Cold War (76-79) and at the time all we were concerned with was russian Alpha and Whiskey clas subs. When I went to Sonar "A" school in April of '76, we just recieved news that they were building the "Typhoon" class sub. Of course they were building the "Kiev" and Moskva" class ships, half battleship, half aircraft carrier. I was serving on board the USS Aylwin (FF-1081) and we had an AN-SQS 26CX sonar with a MK 114 Fire control system for the ASROC system which was later outfitted to fire Harpoons too. We also had an AN-SQS 35 VDS (variable depth sonar). Below the main deck at the fantail was a large room that held a crane and the sonar. You had to read your charts VERY carefully because Ensign Hymen didn't and he slammed it into an undersea mountain! After the captain gave him 10 new rectums later, dropped him 1 in rank and pay, the gov'ment paid 15 million doleros for a new fish. We're talking approx. 6 feet in length by 4 feet high. We never used it very much because of the accident I just told you. The CX sonar had Omni- directional, convergence zone, triple frequency and two more I can't remember. We usually had it passive, that way you could hear a russian sub run their garbage disposal, open/close their torpedo doors and listen to their awfully noisy enginesfrom a max of 150 miles away. We used to sneak up on them when they were cruising at periscope depth and hit them with a 7 second pulse from our sonar! They would surface and we would cruise around them in circles taking pictures for the CIA and the Navy.
lorcan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 11:17 AM   #50
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Well the time frame is basicly from when the P-3s started flying (mid to Late 70's I think) to 2020.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 08:44 PM   #51
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

My current project is to do some oddball database editing and repainting of skins so I can make a GI Joe mod for the database. I'm also plugging away at an attempt to make a "Death Star" of an oil rig/battle platform (Inspired by Sakurra Mod ).

I may also reskin some stuff to do some near future science fiction kind of battles/espionage situations.
Old 04-10-08, 10:35 AM   #52
K19hiroshima
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
models

hi, currently im starting work on the sh4 cold war mod, but first i want to know somthing guys, i know on dangerous waters you can make new Ai craft, but is it possible to make playable vessels?
e.g. an alfa or victor class?
K19hiroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:55 AM   #53
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

FAQ.

No soup for you!!!!
Old 04-10-08, 11:31 AM   #54
phil21
Sailor man

Downloads: 7

Quote from the FAQ:

Quote:

"It might be hard to comprehend, but money for game development is finite, hence SCS made a descision which platforms should be playable and which not. Since this game is by all means a Tactical Antisubmarine Warfare Simulator they choose to simulate platforms which main job is to hunt submarines. If SCS decides to make an Expansion to the game, they will surely include more playable platforms - however don't expect them to shell out tons of them. The most likely approach to this will be the addition of platforms from nations to credibly oppose the current playable platforms to allow an even better Multiplayer experience. So the most likely platforms to be included in a future Expansion will again deal with ASW. And NO I don't think SCS will make a playable Carrier, or something to that extend. If DW however sells really well, SCS might decide to expand the scope of the game to include AAW and ASuW which would prompt the inclusion of a Ticonderoga or similar."

and

"Back in the days of Sub Command some enterprising modders created an utility to switch the skins/models for the playable platforms and thus allowing players to "drive" different types of submarines. While SCS tolerated it at that time, they have stated (pretty clearly) that they explicitly reserve the right to create playable models for themselves and messing around with DLLs, EXE files and so on (which would be necessary to create a SCU like utility for DW) is a big NO NO! However modders are free to and actually encouraged to create improved textures, modells and so on for the game to visually, and audible enhance it. So while you might see all of the platforms from the real world in Dangerous Waters at a future date, you will only drive those SCS makes."
phil21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 11:03 AM   #55
K19hiroshima
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
thanx phil

thanx phil for that clarification
K19hiroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 11:27 AM   #56
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

We all been yelling for years about new playables and making the origionals look better but what about the two small minor details that have been missed?

Sub command incorperated one of these and they are:

The diving klaxon
And the man battle stations alarms

Did we over think these minor details they would be good to implement

my 2cents

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 09:24 AM   #57
Tassaddar
Watch

Agreed on the klaxon and man stations alarm.

Something I would really like to see implemented is fire damage onboard, like in Destroyer Command. After all, fire is one of the worst things that could happen inside a sub and, as far as surfarce warfare is concerned, during the Falklands War the British lost many a ship not due to hull damage (taking water) caused by the missile explosion but rather to damage caused by uncontrollable fires that fed on the Exocets' fuel.
Old 02-19-09, 09:28 AM   #58
Tassaddar
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be
Air combat is really bad in DW, in practice it is completely unworkable. It is possible to fake air to air and air to surface combat with scripts, but if you try setting up a true aerial attack (or defense), the limitations of the DW engine become obvious.
I know. I spent months doing AAW and antimissile tests in DW, checking database and doctrine tweaks. Too bad Sonalysts didn't include a modeling of radar behaviour and air physics. That's something that is already available from air sims engines outta there; they should have included that in DW...