SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-11, 11:32 AM   #316
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Reguardless of what happens, many thanks to the GW Team!

Everything you folks gave us for SH3 was the best thing that could have ever happened to SH3.

The circumstances for choosing to end the project, are understandable, reguardless of what happened with SH5.

From the looks of things, former members of the team are working on SH4 and SH5 anyways, so over time, I'm sure both will shine just like SH3 does and has for some time. It may just take a little longer, so thanks for the continueing work you guys do even individually.

You guys make, and have made the heart of the SH series really beat!

And since it's close enough now, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 04:49 PM   #317
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
Reguardless of what happens, many thanks to the GW Team!

Everything you folks gave us for SH3 was the best thing that could have ever happened to SH3.

The circumstances for choosing to end the project, are understandable, reguardless of what happened with SH5.

From the looks of things, former members of the team are working on SH4 and SH5 anyways, so over time, I'm sure both will shine just like SH3 does and has for some time. It may just take a little longer, so thanks for the continueing work you guys do even individually.

You guys make, and have made the heart of the SH series really beat!

And since it's close enough now, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
On behalf of the team, thank you very much

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 12:56 PM   #318
Admiral_Stealth
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default SH3 and SH5

Your work on SH3 to make GWX was excellent, extremely professional, GWX is the flagship Sub Sim, enormous fun to use and as challenging as it gets. I profoundly thank you, there is nothing out there as good.

You alluded to SH5. Is there a real likelihood now that a GWX team, will take up arms and fix SH5 to SH5GWX mod?

My SH5 sits in the box awaiting SH5GWX. By the way I hate the SH5 torpedo solution system, not a scratch on your SH3 version. All navigation and tools far far superior in SH3.

To reward the team can you sell services to Ubisoft entertainment to fix SH5 and make it not only playable but at your quality standard?
Admiral_Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 01:13 PM   #319
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

IMHO it's a pity to waste GWX Team experience, knowledge and talent for doing nothing. SH5 never be a base for next GWX, but what about SH4? GWX Team tried to adopt SH4 for GWX second version, but project was cancelled after first infos about SH5 release plans. As we can seee now it was wrong decision. Why don't use this group of talented kaleuns for creating something good for SH4? SH4 is close to SH3 in philosophy of playing, much closer than SH5. There is a solid base - Operation Monsun. It's not necessary to start work from the beginning, with Lurker permission it will be easier to create addon for OM similar to GWX (drakkhen20 tried to start something, but without help from others it's impossible).
Don't you think the same mates?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 01:19 PM   #320
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It would be nice, but remember you're not talking to a team now, but rather individuals who have moved on to other things. Some of the members are working on other things, some of them don't even come around much anymore, and at least one key member has disappeared, seemingly off the face of the earth, and doesn't answer any messages from other members.

There is no GWX team anymore, and only one of them posts here on a daily basis. Another team might be assembled for SH4, and I wish someone would do that, but the 'mates' you're talking to don't even exist anymore.
Old 01-04-12, 01:28 PM   #321
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Stealth View Post
My SH5 sits in the box awaiting SH5GWX.
Your SH5 is going to have a mighty long wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
IMHO it's a pity to waste GWX Team experience, knowledge and talent for doing nothing. SH5 never be a base for next GWX, but what about SH4? GWX Team tried to adopt SH4 for GWX second version, but project was cancelled after first infos about SH5 release plans. As we can seee now it was wrong decision. Why don't use this group of talented kaleuns for creating something good for SH4? SH4 is close to SH3 in philosophy of playing, much closer than SH5. There is a solid base - Operation Monsun. It's not necessary to start work from the beginning, with Lurker permission it will be easier to create addon for OM similar to GWX (drakkhen20 tried to start something, but without help from others it's impossible).
Don't you think the same mates?
No. There is no more GWX team. They're gone, they're not coming back. Making it sound like the GWX team are the only ones who can improve upon the SH games is very disrespectful to the folks who have done awesome things with SH4 and SH5.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 01:53 PM   #322
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Your SH5 is going to have a mighty long wait.

No. There is no more GWX team. They're gone, they're not coming back. Making it sound like the GWX team are the only ones who can improve upon the SH games is very disrespectful to the folks who have done awesome things with SH4 and SH5.
I don't want to disrespect any people creating addons for SH4, they make superb works, like lurker for instance. I only wanted to say that it was fantastic work doing something with GWX Team. I know it's a past and never return, but some of team members still exist on this forum and could be helpful with this work.
There is no info about any new simulator of Uboot in close future, so facelifting of SH4 ATO would be strongly appreciated.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 02:07 PM   #323
Admiral_Stealth
Swabbie

Jaxa you are right in what you say.
SH4 is excellent I agree and indeed a stronger more substantial sim than SH5, and SH5 more disappointing than was expected.

Added to your argument a generous amount of work on the SH4GWX mod is already done, and at present wasted. Indeed the task of finishing the SH4GWX mod is likely to be far simpler and more likely to succeed in a short timescale. Whereas an SH5 undertaking could last a long time, and require completely redesigning the sim.

However the potential of a first person type SH5 appeals, although in practice as presented it is very fiddly and interactions boring. How many of us couldnt get down that hatch from the bridge fast enough, indeed got stuck using the mouse to get into it! However well my missions went due to the game glitches I never got out of British waters!

I think the potential for that the game could be brilliant, and with more sub classes; but at present its a mess. And a lot of necessary tools available in SH3GWX just arnt there. The present limitations are so severe that I doubt its possible to take on a decent destroyer or group of them, or aircraft!!!!! and survive as can be achieved by a good captain in SH3GWX with skill.
One often has to listen to the sounds oneself to judge evasions, to have have the right information available; alas the separation of the periscope up the ladder from the sound sensor is so far....

OK better have an excellent SH4GWX mod please!
Old 01-04-12, 02:46 PM   #324
Admiral_Stealth
Swabbie

Default SH4 and SH5

mookiemookie
Interesting to read your thread to Jaxa concerning the very many people who are also making superb mods. What do you think is the way forwards for these subsims?
Old 01-04-12, 03:11 PM   #325
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
mookiemookie
Interesting to read your thread to Jaxa concerning the very many people who are also making superb mods. What do you think is the way forwards for these subsims?
I think as Dark Wraith makes progress in his GR2 tool, we get closer and closer to allowing many things to be changed in SH5. The one thing keeping me away from it is the pitiful selection of merchant shipping...once people are allowed the ability to add and change ship models, I think the floodgates will be opened on that.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 05:52 PM   #326
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Added to your argument a generous amount of work on the SH4GWX mod is already done, and at present wasted.
Any work done on a GWX version for SH4 was trashed long ago.
In some ways I regret deleteing all the good stuff, but it's done and no one can change that fact.

Quote:
Indeed the task of finishing the SH4GWX mod is likely to be far simpler and more likely to succeed in a short timescale.
Without the ORIGINAL work done for GWX 4?
How could it be simpler?
At the time the project was ended?
We projected AT LEST 1 more year before testing even started on an Alpha!
I don't consider that a short time scale.

There is NO GWX TEAM anymore.
There are very few GWX 4 original files anymore.
There are very few GWX Devs who even Mod SH series of games now.

So to put it bluntly?
If you poop in one hand and wish in the other?
Which one gets full first?
Old 01-05-12, 06:39 PM   #327
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I've noticed something as supermods go. Generally speaking (and i realize i'm painting with a fairly wide brush ), most the people behind the supermods from SH3, SH4, and i believe, even Sh5, are all from the same "generation" of subsim members/modders. In fact, some of these people have even worked on the most widely used supermods from both Sh3 and SH4. As the old timers go, their ranks have gotten progressively thinner with each sequal of the SH series.

My point is, as time goes on, people move on to new pursuits. So maybe it's time for a new generation of modders to step forward instead of everyone perpetually relying on the same old crowd of people who have moved on to other pursuits or hobbies.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 06:44 PM   #328
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'll second that thought!

I only like doing simple things for others here and there myself.
I keep waiting for the 'next' Guy to really step up and go for it instead of demanding or begging for this or that.
Old 05-11-12, 07:11 AM   #329
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Location: Tamworth UK. Presently,somewhere Below The Atlantic
Downloads: 364

First a very BIG THANK YOU to the Grey Wolves Dev Team for making SHIII such a wonderful sim.

I think that the age of the Uboat Simulator is slowly coming to an end, after the introduction of SH5. This latest of the series was long over due, but didn't come up to the expectations that everyone expected. First there were all the bugs in the stock game and to top it all, the blasted DRM that made the game only playable on line, connected to Ubisoft servers. This was a great dissapointment, but has recently been overcome by the option to play off line, even though it is for single player only.

I have noticed that since SH5's release, the Modders have been busy at it again to try and make a decent job of SH5, although I don't think it will ever reach the following of SH3, which in my opinion is the most enjoyable version to play. Ok, you can't interact with the crew, but that is not the be all end all, it's what the game has to offer in reality, which is the most important and SH3 doesn't come much better than it can with GWX Gold.

I think SH5 will be the last Sub Sim in this series, regarding a German Uboat simulator from Ubisoft, unless some other company can come up with something better, which I very much doubt.

So it is time to take stock, of what has been available since Sub Sims first came on the scene and what we are left with. First we had Silent Service, SH1, Aces Of The Deep (still one of the best, but sadly out of touch with modern computers) Then SH2, became available for Windows 98. The ultimate SH3, then SH4, and finally SH5. The last three are obviously the ones most people still play and enjoy and these are still at the forefront of Submarine Simulation. I think that we have just got to carry on with these three and hope that SH5 will reach the goals that SH3 reached with GWX, but I doubt it will ever come up to the playable standards that we have all come to enjoy (and) my favorite, SH3. Unless SH6 should become possible to a standard that we have all yet to see, made perfect. Who knows what future technology may bring us. Remeber, Not so long ago, Silent Service was the bees knees.

I joined the navy to see the world
What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!
RustySubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 12:31 PM   #330
guntherprien
Hand rag

Downloads: 170

GWX 3 Gold

If Carlsberg did mods................

Probably the best mod in the world,
I have played it regularly for years,and am still coming up against new ships/scenarios,utterly breathtaking.
I feel honoured to be a part of this community,and feel sorry for folk who are unaware.

I could never understand why the modders didn't form their own company and made their own games.

A sincere thanks to all you guys who made this SH3 such an enjoyable game.
You will never die,you have made a little bit of history,you are eternal.
guntherprien is offline   Reply With Quote