SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-17, 03:59 PM   #1
Dave Kay
Gunner

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default A Submarine Is Stuck in the Muck in Hackensack

I thought it my patriotic duty to bring this story to the attention of submarine enthusiasts and U-boat fanatics alike;

A Submarine Is Stuck in the Muck in Hackensack

If the link doesn't work search U.S.S. Ling
Dave Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 07:58 PM   #2
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

They need some deep pockets. Maybe they could get Disney to pay to move the USS Ling to Castaway Cay.

Personally, I'd just make a law that says any previously commissioned USN vessel or enemy combatant that serves as a museum piece in the USA must be maintained to the highest degree by the USN, or the USN gets no money for new vessels. Every nautical museum showpiece problem would be solved within the next year.

Last edited by em2nought; 07-01-17 at 08:08 PM. Reason: elaborate
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 05:54 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I hope this isn't the beginning of an ignominious end for the old girl.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 08:48 AM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

What a sad predicament; a short video clip on this and another decent article/news story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/30...-nj-river.html

".... when the boat arrived at the river, it was 30 feet deep. Now, at high tide, it’s 10 to 12 feet deep"

"When Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, the museum on land flooded and the sub floated."

-----------------------------------------------
USS Ling's Go Fund Me page:

https://www.gofundme.com/uss-ling
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 09:36 AM   #5
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Thanks Dave Kay for bringing this story to the attention of the readers of the Subsim forums. This really is a tragic story. Years ago, There was a Tench Class Submarine in Tampa Florida, the Requin, that fell into a state of disrepair.

Senator John Heinz of the Heinz Ketchup, pickles and condiments family, now deceased, worked hard to bring the Requin to the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh, Pa.

I traveled to Pittsburgh for a wedding and took time out to visit the Carnegie Science Center and of course, the Submarine. In spite of being moored on the Ohio River which is inhospitable, icy and cold in winter, the Submarine was in excellent shape and lovingly maintained. The Requin is treated and regarded as a centerpiece of the Science Center and everyone I met involved with the Submarine, including maintenance personnel, were enthusiastic in answering questions and taking people on tours.

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org...uin-submarine/

http://www.hnsa.org/hnsa-ships/uss-requin-ss-481/

I'm hoping a similar scenario develops for the Ling with a science center around the country in conjunction with a Naval Veteran's group. The Ling is a veteran itself and should be regarded and treated as such.

Maybe something was learned in letting the most decorated American Naval vessel languish and eventually be broken up for razor blades. I am of course referring to the " Big E " or CV-6 U.S.S Enterprise.

Quote:
"The carrier that fought the most through the entire war..."
Dedicatory Plaque, Enterprise Tower, U.S. Naval Academy

Enterprise entered World War II on the morning of December 7, 1941, when her scout planes encountered the Japanese squadrons attacking Pearl Harbor. Not until May 14, 1945, when a Kamikaze attack off Kyushu, Japan, left a gaping hole in her flight deck, was she forced to leave the war.

Of the more than twenty major actions of the Pacific War, Enterprise engaged in all but two. Her planes and guns downed 911 enemy planes; her bombers sank 71 ships, and damaged or destroyed 192 more. Her presence inspired both pride and fear: pride in her still unmatched combat record, and fear in the knowledge that Enterprise and hard fighting were never far apart.
The most decorated ship of the Second World War, Enterprise changed the very course of a war she seemed to have been expressly created for.

Naval Veterans are still bitter about the demise of the Enterprise, not from enemy actions but rather the actions of short sighted politicians.

Quote : Subsequent attempts were made at preserving the ship as a museum or memorial, but fund-raising efforts failed to raise enough money to buy the vessel from the Navy, and the "Big E" was sold on 1 July 1958 to the Lipsett Corporation of New York City for scrapping at Kearny, New Jersey. A promise was made to save the distinctive tripod mast for inclusion in the Naval Academy's new football stadium, but was never fulfilled; instead, a memorial plaque was installed at the base of what is still called "Enterprise Tower." Scrapping was complete as of May 1960.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28CV-6%29

With most ships of the American Pacific Fleet destroyed or heavily damaged after the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th of 1941, it was up to the Submarines and their brave crews to carry the fight until the civilian run industries could be mobilized to support war time production of tank, ships, Submarines....

Although the Ling wasn't Involved in the war effort as other ships due to her late construction date and commissioning, it still stands as a testament to the brave men that crewed these vessels. Hopefully, Intervention will prevent the Ling from becoming another victim of short shortsightedness.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 07-02-17 at 10:51 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 01:58 PM   #6
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

The reporter who wrote this article needed to do some more research

Quote:
But the death blow for a vessel built to face German U-boats may come from, of all things, the decline of the newspaper business.
I don't think that any Balao's were built to face German U-boats. There were 24 U-boats sunk by allied submarines during WWII.

Quote:
They have no money to even replace the gangplank on the Ling, the only remaining high-speed submarine from World War II.
Well there are seven other Balao submarines on display as museums. Not including 3 Tench class submarines which had the same speed as the Balao. There are 6 GATO class submarines on display and they were rated at almost one knot faster than the Balao and Tench class.

I am not aware if the Ling was used in any of the GUPPY tests. The Wikipedia page on GUPPY identifies all boats used in the GUPPY programs and the Ling is not on that list.
Old 07-02-17, 08:04 PM   #7
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15 That isn't muck she's stuck in....

In Jersey, it's excrement.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 12:41 AM   #8
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Maybe something was learned in letting the most decorated American Naval vessel languish and eventually be broken up for razor blades. I am of course referring to the " Big E " or CV-6 U.S.S Enterprise.
The USN is VERY shortsighted in this area of building a sense of history into our citizens. CV-6 would practically be a shrine, I would literally weep if I set foot aboard. Weep for what is lost, weep because of what has been permitted to replace it. ...and I'm not even talking about hulls named for politicians, not that that's a great idea either.
Old 07-10-17, 01:34 AM   #9
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69

It sounds like the people who have been involved with that submarine restoration project have been incompetent from the beginning.

There is no way a properly run crowdfunding campaign should bring in just $25

I'm sorry but stupidity causes things like this. The best thing they could do for that project is ask somebody with more talent and brains to get involved and to take over the entire thing.

Permits required to move it, my ass. Shoot first ask questions later. Nobody - nobody - is going to complain if somebody with a dredge and a crane decide to haul that thing to dry land or somewhere out to sea.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 05:27 PM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
The USN is VERY shortsighted in this area of building a sense of history into our citizens. CV-6 would practically be a shrine, I would literally weep if I set foot aboard. Weep for what is lost, weep because of what has been permitted to replace it. ...and I'm not even talking about hulls named for politicians, not that that's a great idea either.
I wouldn't blame the USN. I'm sure that Congress is not eager to appropriate the funds for such a project.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 09:37 PM   #11
jerseytom
Watch

Unfortunate news. Grew up in NJ (could ya guess?) and I remember taking a tour of the Ling probably 20 years ago when I first got into this stuff.
jerseytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 10:23 AM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I wouldn't blame the USN. I'm sure that Congress is not eager to appropriate the funds for such a project.
Exactly. There ships and subs are provide free/small fee to the city that is accepting them. It becomes the cities responsibility once the USN chainsaws the entire wiring system so these vessels never run again. Although the navy does inspect the hulls annually of those still floating.

In this case the sub in NJ was privately owned I believe. The owner now wants no parts of it.
Old 08-20-17, 09:33 PM   #13
Dave Kay
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Glad to see my post stirred some interest. Being in the heavy lifting business (cranes & hoisting) IMHO this vessel could be picked up and moved over road like a house (big~!) as there are mobile cranes that can pick it. But cost-wise, my ball park guess would be a multi million dollar operation needing a commensurate return on investment.

Going out on a limb; Perhaps one of our more well connected Kaleus on here might possibly know of and/or entice some personal interest from a philanthropist-type who may have the means to at least look into the saving of this vessel. After all, what's a few million to a multi-million-billionaire?

Not that I rub elbows with such folk but I have personally worked for men of great means who collect and restore such things as ships and aircraft--- obviously not a workingman's' hobby, but these type of fellows are certainly out there and they aren't much different than us regular guys. Think Richard Branson.

Just a thought.
Dave Kay is offline   Reply With Quote