Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-17, 12:50 PM   #1
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5 on the living room TV

Hi,
I thought some people might be interested in this. I spend my day attached ot a PC so in general I don't want to sit at one for gaming, which is why from the moment of downloading SH5 early last year to early this year I hardly got into it.

However a couple of weeks ago I got more interested and bought a solution. What is this you might ask?

Well it is Steam Link and the Steam Controller. What the Steam Link is is a tiny little box about the size of your hand that sits under your TV and connects to your home network via ethernet. If you don't have your network accessible near your TV you can just buy powerline adapters which is how my house is connected.

So I have a capable PC in one room and my Steam Link under my TV. Now we just turn on the Steam Link via the controller and because my SH5 is the non-steam version I add it to my Steam library manually (actually you have to add the uplay.exe and then launch SH from that). The game runs full screen on my TV and the controller bindings just need setting up. By default much of the game works with the controller (eg moving around the sub, panning views, zooming in the attack scope etc) but I plan on some manual bindings so I can call up various options and teleport to stations more quickly. So far I've noticed no stutters or other ill behaviour.

Anyway, it works nicely for me, and is a way that I can get more out of this game. If anyone has any questions I can try to answer them.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 01:28 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Very cool.
Old 01-19-17, 05:36 PM   #3
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

does the device support a standard keyboard and mouse?
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 08:44 PM   #4
OldCoder
Soundman

Apparently it does though I haven't tried that yet.

Worth saying the steam controller is a pretty decent substitute for kb and mouse for most games. It contains two track pads so one of those behaves as the mouse and it supports multiple 'sets' of controls so by holding down a button it's possible to modify pretty much all the controls to different bindings.

But yes if you didn't want to go that route it does supposedly support physical kb and mouse.
Old 01-20-17, 02:50 AM   #5
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

I've got my PC hooked up to a large TV through an HDMI cable.

As for steam controller. Absolutely hate them. I returned mine not long after purchasing. I'd rather use a real gamepad or real mouse/keyboard.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-17, 08:13 PM   #6
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Yeah I can't get used to the xbox controller. I'm a PC gamer.

Used to have a PC hooked up to the TV, but I'd rather stream it from my game machine.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-17, 10:52 PM   #7
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Yeah I can't get used to the xbox controller. I'm a PC gamer.
Yes you can. I've been a PC Gamer since the mid 80's. 5 years ago i would have laughed at you if you told me i'd play 90% of my PC games with an xbox controller sitting on a couch. Yes it was weird at first. But im used to it now. And thinking back to all those annoying arguments with my console friends.. i now agree with them that the controller is just more comfy. But when it comes to multiplayer FPS's, give me a mouse and keyboard and i will put a virtual bullet between your eyes with the flick of my mouse

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 04:46 AM   #8
Domestos
Seaman

Downloads: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
Hi,

Anyway, it works nicely for me, and is a way that I can get more out of this game. If anyone has any questions I can try to answer them.
Haloo!

I have the non-steam SH5 added to my library with WOS but it's no-go on my Steam link. I've tried running Uplay and SH5.exe with admin status and without, and I've made Uplay online and offline but the game either won't launch or it loads and then complains it can't access the internet and won't let me continue.

How did you get yours to work?
Old 09-22-17, 05:23 PM   #9
OldCoder
Soundman

You need to manually add uplay to the Steam library (not the sh5 exe) and then launch that via Steam link and choose sh5 (or any other uplay launched game you might have).
Old 09-23-17, 04:26 AM   #10
Domestos
Seaman

Downloads: 323

Yep, that's what I'm doing but it don't like it! It either fails to run or says it can't connect to the internet and only gives me the option to quit.
V. annoying!