SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-17, 09:46 PM   #1
starkwolf
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Engine won't restart without diving first

This is a bug that has bothered me for some time. I have SH3 commander installed, but I do not have sabatoge/malfunctions turned on. Sometimes when I turn off my engine, it won't turn back on again. I switch the telegraph multiple times between various speeds and off. Nothing. No difference in crew between when it works and when it doesn't.
starkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 12:05 AM   #2
PapaSmurf
Bosun

Downloads: 129

I have this bug occasionally and have heard of others that had it too. I just have to throw it in reverse and right back to a forward speed and it works fine, no diving necessary.
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 03:54 PM   #3
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

I think it happened once so far for me.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 07:47 PM   #4
starkwolf
Watch

Reverse doesn't always work for me. Any downloads that fix this bug?
Old 10-08-17, 02:19 PM   #5
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Uploads: 1

My oil-hand-Mashine guys seems to misinterpret my Stop-Command by the Telegraph as "Feuer aus". It is not possible to turn on or turn back on this large Diesels without special procedure, wich takes time.
So i never ever use the Stop-Comand. Instead i move the Telegraph-Finger manually to zero. Then my guys are working korrect.

Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 07:59 PM   #6
starkwolf
Watch

Actually, I think I found the problem. The game does not accurately record whether the sub is surfaced or submerged.

In the current case with my Type VII, the sub is shown to be underwater. However, my crew are in the diesel engine compartment. So, moving the telegraph does nothing (but I do not get a "cannot comply" response). I move my sailors to the electric engine compartment, and I do get a "cannot comply" response when I move the telegraph.

It seems that the game has recorded whether the submarine is surfaced or submerged incorrectly, and yet won't move backwards or forwards. Thus, surfacing if the bug occurs when submerged, or diving if this occurs on the surface fixes the problem by getting everything to line up. Something in the files relating to whether the sub is submerged or surfaced might be getting corrupted, because this happens especially often when loading a save. It will, however, happen mid-patrol too. However, when it happens mid-patrol, that is when throwing it in reverse works.