SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-07-17, 11:09 AM   #1
Battle Wagon Sailor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Multiple SH3 Installations and JSGME

Hello Fellow Skippers,

I've been poring over the forums searching for the best solution for multiple SH3 installations and how to most effectively utilize JSGME with these installations.

My intent is to create separate installations for vanilla SH3, GWX 3.0 Gold and NYGM Tonnage War. My goal is to avoid the problems that can affect multiple SH3 installations and save myself the headache and work required to recover from these problems.

So far, the options I've found are:

1. Create multiple copies of a clean, unaltered SH3 installation.
2. Use MultiSH3 to manage multiple SH3 installations.
3. Use SH3 Front-End to manage multiple SH3 installations.

Not having experience with any of these options, I'm seeking your insight regarding which option will best meet my goal.

I've also noticed several approaches to implementing JSGME. Some approaches utilize a single JSGME installation, while other approaches utilize a JSGME installation in each SH3 installation.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike
Old 10-07-17, 03:07 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi Mike
Personally like you I prefer individual pristine copies of the original installation.
When it comes to allocating one of these to a game MultiSH3 comes into play where each game gets its own 3 digit game save folder.
I would also keep JSGME on a local basis copying the exe into each game.
Always keeping 1 pristine copy knowing if you should have a corruption somewhere then it is just a case of copying and pasting over the current game.

Highly Recommended SH3 > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > 99.99% Stable > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 03:48 PM   #3
Battle Wagon Sailor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Peter, thank you for your reply. When creating and using multiple copies of a clean SH3 installation, is MultiSH3 essential to managing these installations or can they be effectively managed without using MultiSH3? I'm curious as to what benefit MultiSH3 provides in this case versus managing the installations manually and separately.
Old 10-07-17, 03:53 PM   #4
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

I have used option 2) successfully...
Old 10-07-17, 04:49 PM   #5
Battle Wagon Sailor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you Obltn Strand, MultiSH3 seems to be the popular choice.
Old 10-07-17, 05:18 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When you install SH3 and play it, the game creates a Save folder in My Documents (or whatever, based on your OS). So the Stock game will make a "My Documents" folder, such as "C:\Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ SH3". When doing multiple installs of the game for use with mods, if you keep your Stock game, that's the folder it would use. You create a 2nd copy of the game and activate WAC5 in its MODS folder. If you leave things the way they are, the game would use the same "SH3" Save folder in My Documents, which would then cross-contaminate the game (potentially both copies). Using MultiSH3 inside that 2nd copy of SH3 root folder for use with WAC5, it will bring up a little dialog box that allows you to change the Save folder of that particular SH3 game copy. So for me, I use "WAC", which I now have folders "SH3", "WAC", and now "LSH" (Living Silent Hunter 2015), for the copies of the game and mods I currently have going... Works wonderfully, just like MultiSH4 does for all of my SH4 copies... Unfortunately, there isn't one for SH5 yet...

C:\ Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ LSH
C:\ Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ SH3
C:\ Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ WAC

is how things look in the My Documents folder for my SH3 Save folders...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 06:12 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER

Hi pb
LSH3-2015 creates its own save game folder V15 which does not interfere with any other SH3 game.
You do not need to use MultiSH3 for LSH3-2015 if adding this installation to your existing SH3 games.
Peter

Old 10-07-17, 06:27 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

See, that's what I get not wearing my glasses while looking at the little type in "This PC"... I definitely stand corrected, sir!

I'd just installed it (wonderful mod, btw) kicked the tires, and took her 'round the block for a drive. Really nice and smooth install, that is to be emulated by all, if we have the skill set... but that's another story. Does LSH use MultiSH3 though to create the folder, or just "do it directly" then? It shows it's in the package... Not to go off into the weeds too far, possibly stepping into a rabbit hole...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 10:23 PM   #9
Battle Wagon Sailor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
When you install SH3 and play it, the game creates a Save folder in My Documents (or whatever, based on your OS). So the Stock game will make a "My Documents" folder, such as "C:\Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ SH3". When doing multiple installs of the game for use with mods, if you keep your Stock game, that's the folder it would use. You create a 2nd copy of the game and activate WAC5 in its MODS folder. If you leave things the way they are, the game would use the same "SH3" Save folder in My Documents, which would then cross-contaminate the game (potentially both copies). Using MultiSH3 inside that 2nd copy of SH3 root folder for use with WAC5, it will bring up a little dialog box that allows you to change the Save folder of that particular SH3 game copy. So for me, I use "WAC", which I now have folders "SH3", "WAC", and now "LSH" (Living Silent Hunter 2015), for the copies of the game and mods I currently have going... Works wonderfully, just like MultiSH4 does for all of my SH4 copies... Unfortunately, there isn't one for SH5 yet...

C:\ Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ LSH
C:\ Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ SH3
C:\ Users \ UserMe \ Documents \ WAC

is how things look in the My Documents folder for my SH3 Save folders...
Thanks for the thorough explanation propbeanie! So it appears that the path for the SH3 "My Documents" folder is hard coded and the path can't be modified unless you use MultiSH3. This is a very cool program!
Old 10-07-17, 10:35 PM   #10
Battle Wagon Sailor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

One quick order of operations question. When using MultiSH3 with multiple SH3 installations, the MultiSH3 documentation states "If you wish to use JSGME, install it in the stock game folder, run it and generate a snapshot of the game files before proceeding."

I take that to mean that I should install JSGME in the original SH3 folder before I make additional copies of the folder. This seems like it would create problems when JSGME is run in the newly created SH3 folders.

Would it make more sense to copy the original SH3 folder without JSGME installed and then individually install JSGME in each subsequently created SH3 folder?
Old 10-08-17, 03:00 AM   #11
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Wagon Sailor View Post

Would it make more sense to copy the original SH3 folder without JSGME installed and then individually install JSGME in each subsequently created SH3 folder?
Possibly but I followed directions just be on the safe side...
Old 10-08-17, 04:26 AM   #12
THEBERBSTER

Hi pb
The beautie of LSH3-2015 is that everything is already setup for you and working.
4gb patch.
HSIE V16B patch
SH3Commander with automatic rollback.
As part of the installation LSH3 gives you the option to make further copies using MultiSH3 or SH3-MultiCopy-2015

Peter

Old 10-08-17, 10:55 AM   #13
Battle Wagon Sailor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obltn Strand View Post
Possibly but I followed directions just be on the safe side...
Thanks Obltn Strand. You're right, probably best to follow the directions.