SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #1501
Wolfstriked
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
Hey guys

Why cant the silent running slow sinking be utilized with GWX?
If I am not mistaking it could with a quick change of the mass of the boat in each sub.sim file.Could easily be modded in for those that want it.


But the thing is from what I gather...I think that silent running actually might cause the boat to surface instead of submerge.Uboats have a negative tank that is rapidly filled with water as soon as dive is ordered and filled again very quickly the instant the boat is submerged.They did this for safety reason.It forces a "slight" bouyancy so that the sub will surface if you say lose your compressed air to fill the ballast with.actually though as long as you have some forward movement I think the boat is easily kept below the surface since slightly positive buoyancy is easily countered with slow speed when near the surface.

From the site I found info at....

""In diving quickly, the negative tank is important. By flooding this tank the submarine becomes negatively buoyant. This gets the boat under water quicker. Once submerged, though, the negative tank will be blown or pumped out, to restore neutral buoyancy. You want to be heavier than water as you dive, but you don't want to stay that way once you're under. If the negative tank remained full and all power was lost the boat would quickly sink below crush depth and kill everyone aboard.""

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 06-15-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #1502
Wolfstriked
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

New post as I didn't want this to get lost in post below.Hsie,I think what would be good to fix is to remove the "radio damaged/radio repaired sir"...."hydroplanes damaged/hydroplanes repaired sir" etc.

With the realistic repair times mod you still see a ton of these messages and ruins the feel when things get fixed a second later.Since they have no effect on the game I think a removal of this info would benefit the patch.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #1503
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team
 
Hitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Spain
Posts: 6,215
Downloads: 108
Uploads: 2


Default

Wolfstriked I think you can disable them by deleting this entry in the menu.text file:

Quote:
707=%s repaired, sir!
and leaving it blank.
__________________
One day I will return to sea ...
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #1504
h.sie
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,192
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0


Default

@Wolfstriked: Is equipment is repaired seconds later, there is something wrong. Or you have only insignificant damage. Normally, equipment should take hours now to be repaired (and also the message, that certain equipment has been repaired). Exception: Compartments - they still take minutes, because they are coupled inseparable with the flooding recovery.
__________________
My Mediafire page: http://www.mediafire.com/hsie
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #1505
h.sie
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,192
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
Hey guys

Why cant the silent running slow sinking be utilized with GWX?
For a certain reason, Stiebler made the periscopes longer in NYGM in order to make the SR mod run properly (I don't remember details). GWX doesn't have these longer periscopes, so I assume that could cause problems.

But you can try it out. If you don't see any problems - there is no problem.
__________________
My Mediafire page: http://www.mediafire.com/hsie
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #1506
Wolfstriked
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Wolfstriked: Is equipment is repaired seconds later, there is something wrong. Or you have only insignificant damage. Normally, equipment should take hours now to be repaired (and also the message, that certain equipment has been repaired). Exception: Compartments - they still take minutes, because they are coupled inseparable with the flooding recovery.
Hsie,realistic repair works fine and takes hours to repair damage though I use NYGM(whats the difference between the two?).What I am talking about is the damage tied in with the individual compartments that takes seconds(minutes actually I exaggerate slightly) to repair if a person is in that room.What Hitman advised would work and maybe you decide if it will be in next version...or...maybe you like the small damage messages that get repaired quickly.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #1507
h.sie
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,192
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0


Default

@Wolf: If you use NYGM, Stiebler recommends NOT to use my Realistic Repair Times Fix, since NYGM has its own damage model.
__________________
My Mediafire page: http://www.mediafire.com/hsie
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #1508
Wolfstriked
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Wolf: If you use NYGM, Stiebler recommends NOT to use my Realistic Repair Times Fix, since NYGM has its own damage model.
Gotcha,yes I disabled it in the options.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #1509
KarlKoch
Planesman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 188
Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0
Default

h.sie:

One think i always bothered with in SH3: Ships accelerating and changing course way too fast.
Is there maybe anything that can be done about that in the SH3.exe?
Is it worth trying at all? Its not like it happens every second ship you encounter, but everytime i try to shoot the stationary ship in the tutorial mission, i have to laugh.

Just an idea, i can live happily ever after if nothing will change.
KarlKoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #1510
h.sie
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,192
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0


Default

@KarlKoch: Ship acceleration is already on my growing todo list. In the meantime try Thomsens Ships. It's for GWX if I'm informed correctly and reduces ships acceleration and deceleration as well as turning radiuses.
__________________
My Mediafire page: http://www.mediafire.com/hsie
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #1511
Wolfstriked
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@KarlKoch: Ship acceleration is already on my growing todo list. In the meantime try Thomsens Ships. It's for GWX if I'm informed correctly and reduces ships acceleration and deceleration as well as turning radiuses.
Didn't he cut the engine horsepower in half.This causes the ships to not reach their top speeds in many cases.Then he upped the drag drastically which also causes reduction in their speed,especially turning.This then causes their turning radius to grow by large amount since ships speed determines turning speed.That said I think he pulled the ship acceleration tweak from his ships mod due to above reason.Could be wrong here.

What could be done though is instead of putting drag very high just drop the COG for each ship down very low.This way you can use super low drag settings to control the "horrible" excessive pitch/sway of the boats.Now you have a bit more control for turn radius since you have less forces slowing the boats down in a turn....basically its just the engine power now.Then just play with rudder drag for the turn speed you want.For ship top speed you can then test a ship on 0-wind ocean and see what speed it hits at flank speed setting.If it goes over or under its max speed you can drop or raise the horsepower to compensate.

Its a huge undertaking but all the ships could be made very realistic.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #1512
KarlKoch
Planesman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 188
Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@KarlKoch: Ship acceleration is already on my growing todo list. In the meantime try Thomsens Ships. It's for GWX if I'm informed correctly and reduces ships acceleration and deceleration as well as turning radiuses.
I know Thomsens Ships and i used them quite some time ago, but i remember there were incompatibilities with other mods i wanted to use. So i stopped using Thomsens Ships because it was the least downside in my opinion. But great to see its on your list.
I am happily reading every post from you in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Didn't he cut the engine horsepower in half.This causes the ships to not reach their top speeds in many cases.Then he upped the drag drastically which also causes reduction in their speed,especially turning.This then causes their turning radius to grow by large amount since ships speed determines turning speed.That said I think he pulled the ship acceleration tweak from his ships mod due to above reason.Could be wrong here.

What could be done though is instead of putting drag very high just drop the COG for each ship down very low.This way you can use super low drag settings to control the "horrible" excessive pitch/sway of the boats.Now you have a bit more control for turn radius since you have less forces slowing the boats down in a turn....basically its just the engine power now.Then just play with rudder drag for the turn speed you want.For ship top speed you can then test a ship on 0-wind ocean and see what speed it hits at flank speed setting.If it goes over or under its max speed you can drop or raise the horsepower to compensate.

Its a huge undertaking but all the ships could be made very realistic.
Problem with that approach is, that it will break every single formation of ships and every traffic in port, because the AI is not considering the changes in its decisions. If however, it is anyhow possible to change the acceleration and turnrate in the AI-routines, everything would still work. At least its what i think at the moment. I am afraid that i look at this way too easy. But i have no insight in any routines there.
KarlKoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #1513
Wolfstriked
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKoch View Post
Problem with that approach is, that it will break every single formation of ships and every traffic in port, because the AI is not considering the changes in its decisions. If however, it is anyhow possible to change the acceleration and turnrate in the AI-routines, everything would still work. At least its what i think at the moment. I am afraid that i look at this way too easy. But i have no insight in any routines there.
I see your point.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #1514
pelucho25
Loader
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Valladolid (Spain)
Posts: 85
Downloads: 1279
Uploads: 0
Default

Hello I wonder if this patch can be upgraded from one version to another post. Example: V15F3 to V15G1. What you should do if we have an older version and want to update? It would be a bit annoying having to uninstall everything and start over. Are a god thank you very much.
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #1515
h.sie
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,192
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0


Default

@pelucho:

An unhumble wish. For you it would take the same time (about 1-7 minutes) to update either from unmodded sh3.exe or from V15F to the last version V15G. For me, every Patch-Kit takes hours to configure. There are better ways for me to waste my time. So maybe another person wants to update from V15B to V15E1? Or from V15A to V15F2? A downgrade option would also be nice!!

I think I spider (Ich glaube, ich spinne!)
__________________
My Mediafire page: http://www.mediafire.com/hsie

Last edited by h.sie; 06-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim