SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-18, 10:22 PM   #1
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default v1.5 issues?

I installed v1.5, which works well overall, but have a couple of little issues

1. CO2 warning displays after a short submerged stretch. Running on the surface does not lower it.
  2. Suddenly, the Pacific ocean is populated with HUNDREDS of red target indicators, the majority of which seem to have no connection with realty.
USS Balao, US campaign, up to mid 1943

Thoughts?
TIA!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 02:10 AM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

#1 is a long time issues with an easy fix. Surface, save your game and reload it.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 06:55 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hey there, jimmbbo! Like ETR3(SS) says, the Save of the game, exit the game, re-start the game, and reload the Save will clear your CO2 level, and hopefully will clear the red markers. Are you seeing a bunch of "ship sunk" icons? Or red triangles for airplanes, or red squares for ships, or all of the above?

Your first issue is usually caused from "shelling-out" to Windows, either by use of the <Ctrl><Tab>, <Alt><Tab> or <Windows> key combinations. If you need to leave the game, it's best to Save and exit the game. None of the Silent Hunter games are compliant with a 'modern' Windows OS, as far as audio streaming and other 'modern' features of a newer computer go. In other words, the game does not release the resources it is using, and Windows assumes it does, so takes back control of those resources. When you go back into the game, Windows gives the resources back to the game, but with different "addresses" of where they are, and the game then "loses its place", if you will, and can't find where it was, so kind of stumbles along with what it has, resulting in quite a bit of weirdness.

The second issue might be related to that, but what can also happen is if you are using mods, and load Saves. As an example, say you activate a mod, play the game to check-out the mod, then Save the scenario you're in for later use. You then de-activate that first mod, and either play Stock, or activate a second mod, and you see that first Save and want to try it in the new set-up, you might find that the Save is no longer compatible with the game the way it is now set-up, resulting in a game that runs, but has all sorts of strangeness about it... You cannot use a Save from stock in TMO, and you cannot use a Save from TMO in stock. You have to keep Saves in their original "environment".

If you like to check-out several mods, look into using MultiSH4 (download link) to create new Save folders for each copy of SH4 you use. There is also a Release thread for it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 12:29 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

gear

Many thanks, gents!

Am playing unmodded (except for adding a Gato sonar bearing fix) v1.5 from the Uboat add-on CD. I want to gain more familiarity with the platform before venturing too far into "mod land".

I have "shelled out" to Win 10 off and on, and that discussion makes sense.

I discovered the exit and return CO2 "fix" by happenstance.

The red symbols are all square or diamond "targets in waiting", ships, convoys, task forces. I also save games frequently and start my sessions from a saved game... Will do some experimenting to see if that's the culprit
http://s244.photobucket.com/user/jim...rgets.jpg.html

Last edited by jimmbbo; 07-27-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 12:54 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Wow! That's a lot of "reports", is what it is. The game has quite a few of those active, so it looks like your munged Saves have been keeping all of them over the different times you've been in the game. Deleting the Save folder should fix that also... maybe...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 02:59 PM   #6
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Likely the situation... I have a TON of saved games, and only need the current one so will give deleting the old ones a shot, or plan on spending the rest of the war trying to get to my next objective ... Thanks!

EDIT: Uhh... unable to locate the saved file folder in my SH4 game directory... Where are the saved games hidden?

Last edited by jimmbbo; 07-27-18 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 03:19 PM   #7
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Saved games are in your Documents folder, in a folder name "SH4"
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 02:25 PM   #8
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Thanks! Found and deleted the files..

Still have the massive number of targets, but could be artifacts from the old saved files... Will see what happens when I start a new career.