SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-18, 03:20 AM   #1
Wiscman87
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Almost 100,000 tons of merchants

I had the most epic mission/run ever going, 3 Nippon Maru and an assortment of smaller merchants that totaled around 98,000 tons and while going back to Fremantle in time compression my game decides to CTD!!!
Wiscman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 06:58 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is not cool, eh? Can you tell us about your computer? What kind of cpu, operating system, how much RAM, etc.? Then, tell us about your SH4 game, such as: is it a disk version or a download, and where did you get it from? Do you happen to know which version it is? The most common versions are v1.3 and v1.5. Next, where do you have the game installed (drive and folder), and are you using any mods?

The way to find which version you have of the game is to go into the game folder and find the SH4.exe file. Right-click on it and choose "Properties" from the resultant 'context' menu. On the properties window that opens, left-click on the "Details" tab, and just about the middle of that window is "Product version..." On my copy, they use commas to separate the values, so v1.5 looks like "Product version: 1,5,0,0" from a Gold Edition disk install.

As to what happened for the CTD, it might be that you were using a very high compression, and you happened upon a large convoy, or a bunch of airplanes, and the computer couldn't handle things happening that fast in this old game. It could also be that, especially with airplanes, things happened so fast that your boat was sunk and you died before it came out of time compression. This is one of several bad things with time compression in the game. At one time, I had down a rough guess-timate as to how far a submarine travels at 10 knots when you're traveling at 8192x TC. It's like 6 minutes to travel a nautical mile at 1x... ?? (whatever you do, do NOT rely on my math... )

I'm sorry you lost such a good patrol. One way to attempt to avoid such in the future is to Save as you make contact with something, and save after the engagement - but make separate Saves for them. As you leave port on patrol, the game makes an auto-save. You want to make your own separate Saves, such as "Engagement_01_0815_surface" and then later "PostEngagement_01_1312_PD" or whatever scheme you want to use. That way, if the game crashes, you might be able to Load the saved game, and continue from where you were...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 12:48 PM   #3
Wiscman87
Swabbie

I cant get my pc to do a screen shot right now but what I'm running is 1_TMO_25_small patch, TMO 2.5, RSRD_TMO_v502, RSRD_v5xx_patch1 and the 1.5 optical targeting correction031312 for RSRDv502, my pc is pretty up to snuff beside my processor I know that a little outdated its a dual core 2.3 and my other pc parts are a GTX 960 and around 24 gigs of ram. I was around 6NM from Fremantle and at 1550 or 1520 TC when the crash happened. I'm also running V1.5 of the game and its the steam edition.
Old 07-03-18, 02:21 PM   #4
propbeanie

OK, Steam is fine, but does require some "tweaking" to do mods correctly. Did you "manage" your Steam Library, to install the Silent Hunter game outside of the "Program Files (x86)" folder structure? Steam can be in there, but the Silent Hunter games cannot. Windows does not like to "see" cfg files changed in its "protected" folders, such as any of the Program Files folders. Let us know where you have the game installed. Also, the mods, you don't need the TMO patch if you're using RSRDC, not that it would hurt anything...
1. TMO 2.5
2. RSRDC TMO 502
3. RSRDC TMO v5xx Patch
4. OTC for TMO/RSRDC
and just to make certain, you're using this?
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 RSRDCv502

When you do mods, be sure that you've deleted the content of the SH4 Save folder in My Documents. You do not want to use any previously saved material, else you will contaminate the game, and end up with a CTD. If you are in the Program Files folder, your mods are only partially activated, and you could end up with a CTD from the game, if it even ran... Check things and let us know!

Be sure and check-out THEBERBSTER's thread SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <..., and pay particular attention to links he has marked with "STEAM User Information"

Old 07-03-18, 05:07 PM   #5
Wiscman87
Swabbie

I ended up messing it up and had to re-download steam and this time I made sure steam and all components are going into my regular programs file instead of (x86) and yes that is the correct aim correction I am using and thanks ill have to cut the TMO patch out now and the way u placed the mods up is that the correct soup I should be using? I know everyone has their own way of placing mods.
Old 07-03-18, 10:45 PM   #6
propbeanie

Steam should be installed in one of Windows' "Program Files" folders, and the default folder it uses is the easiest to use, and what you want. The folder "C:\Program Files\" is used for 64-bit applications, while "C:\Program Files (x86)\" is used for 32-bit programs. Both folders are 'protected' by Windows from 'unauthorized' alteration. Steam is an 'authorized' app, since it uses a Windows install routine, as is Silent Hunter. It's when you go to alter files in Silent Hunter with a mod, that you run afoul of the Windows protection. JSGME is just a little utility that is used to over-write files, such as text, graphic and other files in a game, and keeps track of the ones it changes. It does not use a Windows install routine. In other words, it's not 'authorized'by Windows to make such changes. Therefore, if you want to activate mods, you have to use the Steam app on your computer to put the Steam game Library for a Silent Hunter install somewhere else, like "C:\Games\" or some such. Read this post:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...05#post2537205

It's one of several I've posted before, and has a picture of the Steam app on my computer. There's also a link to the Steam Tech site with instructions on how to manually move your Steam Library if you have to. It takes a while, but when completed, you can mod your Silent Hunter games. It is a good idea to browse through some of those links in THEBERBSTER's thread I linked above. Peter keeps more up-to-date on this stuff than just about anybody.

As for the mod order, it is important many more times than not. Parts of TMO are over-written by RSRDC, and parts of the both of them are over-written by OTC. If you don't do those in the correct order, things will not function correctly, and you could very well CTD.

Old 07-03-18, 11:00 PM   #7
Wiscman87
Swabbie

I tried to move the games to a different folder in my pc but steam wouldn't let me at the time so I just deleted and started over, thinking that would fix my problem oh and I don't have another hard drive that I could use either. what steam is telling me is that the select drive already has a steam library so it will manage multiple game installs from said folder.

Last edited by Wiscman87; 07-03-18 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 11:31 PM   #8
propbeanie

That would be the situation where you have to do it manually then. You make a new folder, and then copy and paste the Steam games into it, plus like a half-dozen other steps, which would be the 2nd way here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

I printed out that post and also had all of my log-in info, just in case. Read their instructions several times, and get it straight in your head before you start on it. If you've got very many games, it could take several hours, but that is what I used on my laptop. I used the Steam app and Manage Library on my desdktop, which has 3 drives, which went much faster, but still took a while...

Old 07-04-18, 12:30 AM   #9
Wiscman87
Swabbie

I finally got the steam files to move to a different place and it works verified the downloads as well. ill give you an update after my first patrol on how it worked and how I did. THANK YOU!!!
Old 07-04-18, 02:45 AM   #10
Wiscman87
Swabbie

Update wasted all night reinstalling the SH4 and U-boats, on a plus side steam and the games are no longer in the program folders, hoping later today ill get a patrol in. Thanks again!
Old 07-04-18, 05:11 PM   #11
Wiscman87
Swabbie

Update first patrol ended with me being sunk by a jap sub after a long dual on the surface. it was fun to duke it out that way lol
Old 07-04-18, 05:26 PM   #12
propbeanie

You're like me. You go to do a "test", and get distracted with things that go "boom!"...

Old 07-04-18, 07:12 PM   #13
Wiscman87
Swabbie

first time I ever seen another sub in any of the games so I was like ooooh lets sink it lmao
Old 07-06-18, 05:54 PM   #14
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

a jap sub!! Never seen one since day 1 of SH4, you are soooooo lucky
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 01:35 AM   #15
Wiscman87
Swabbie

the jap sub that I encountered had a faster cruising speed than my flank which was 20 knts the only way I caught up to it was when I opened fire on it with the deck gun. which was a mistake because jap subs have a dual 20 on front of the bridge and a triple 20 on the rear plus the main cannon. He had me in about 3 minutes, while being evasive.