Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
thryckz
not donitz but its ok

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0
SHO DOCTRINE

what is doctrine?
In Doctrine, you are the captain of a submarine in a war that you are losing. Your country is surrounded by people who disagree with the fate of Travoskya and would rather see your metal coffin sink to the depths of the ocean. Your crew is tired and scared. Food is low and there are little ports left to resupply. Doctrine is not a game about sinking ships or scoring the most kills. Doctrine is a game about survival. The player has to face the fact that they will without a doubt die in this war. However, whether they die in a heroic battle that lasts three hours or running from their enemy and their country is up to them. Doctrine will break you one way or another.

features that set itself apart from other simulato rs
Doctrine takes place during a civil war in a fictitious country during the late 70's and 80's. The cold war put a strong emphasis on stealth as detection technology got exponentially better. What this translates to is we are putting forth the effort to make this a hell of alot more complicated than silent hunter in terms of systems in the game. Using the wonderful tools that are available for developing video games in 2017, I will add things like fluid dynamics so compartments in the submarine can fill up with particles like water which is dynamically weigh the submarine down.

Doctrine will also have a dynamic campaign to ensure you can never apply the same strategies every time you go into a battle. Everything from your role in the war to the logistics and the technology is randomized. The only thing that is predetermined is you will start on the losing side of the war.

the multiplayer
The multiplayer portion of the game will feature multiple players on board a single submarine and eventually multiple submarines crewed by multiple players.

the ai
The AI has a major focus in the design of the game. Your crew can react to being attacked as motivation to do their jobs harder or they can cower in the corner crying if their morale is low. The AI of ships in the game will dynamically follow a doctrine of war as the game progresses on (the game's campaign is randomized at the start) so they will be aggressive if they are winning the war or generally be more passive if they are losing.

the systems
Things like sonar and radar of course will be fully simulated to the player but things like engine simulation and reactor simulation we are taking extra special love for. The player will have to manage their submarine in the effort that it doesn't break down or worse.

nukes?
Nukes. Simulated nukes.

how do I buy
It's on steam and humble bundle. I'll update the pages when there is more to show. I also plan to add it to subsim upon release of the steam and hb copies. You will also be able to purchase a copy on our website when the time comes.

how can I help
We have a discord server. You are welcome to join and contribute to the creative process of the game by suggesting ideas or even donating 3D models to the game we can use. Cash donations are fine also. Make them out to thryckz@live.com

Last edited by thryckz; 06-24-2018 at 12:47 PM.
thryckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Xaron
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Now that sounds awesome. I wonder why noone has commented yet?

Good luck, looking forward to your game!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Timo_Tags
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 81

Looks awesome Thomas, keep it up.
Timo_Tags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Downloads: 18

Default welcome aboard!

Timo_Tags!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 389
Uploads: 195

Keep us posted

It works for me
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
CapitaCatalunya
Watch

Downloads: 75

No news on this project since august...any news? Anything
' has develepement stopped?
CapitaCatalunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
thryckz
not donitz but its ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaCatalunya View Post
No news on this project since august...any news? Anything
' has develepement stopped?
Sorry!
I'm the only programmer on the team so the slow speed of the development is pretty much all on me. I've worked on small projects before but nothing like a video game so I have had alot to learn since this project was announced on SubSim. However, I can assure you that I am still working hard on the game and we recently just committed to using placeholder art for everything instead of trying to get a nice looking art style so we can hurry and demonstrate the actual gameplay (The main reason for the slow development was trying to work on the art style)
Some time in the next few weeks I should be uploading a series of videos so I can get feedback from the submarine nerds at SubSim!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 AM   #8
CapitaCatalunya
Watch

Well that sounds great, thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:41 AM   #9
Hawk66
Captain

Downloads: 33

Is your discord channel down, since the invitation link is invalid ?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
thryckz
not donitz but its ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
Is your discord channel down, since the invitation link is invalid ?

Yes, sorry.
I put up my personal discord before, but its pretty inappropriate for a discord regarding the game. I'll update it in a few with the discord link but fair warning were all irl friends in ~20-25yr so we talk a lot of very unrelated stuff and it's pretty nsfw if that's not your thing. There's no nudity or anything like that lol just alot of cursing and the occasional rant about something random

---

ADDED DISCORD LINK

Last edited by thryckz; 05-29-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
thryckz
not donitz but its ok

radar

I added a link to my website and blog that I will post further updates on. It's nothing against SubSim but I hate vBulletin's way of posting stuff and editing a post to add my update is irritating. I'll re-format the original post when appropriate to demonstrate the game in further detail but I will not be posting updates on SubSim.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but the good news is the game is coming along well! I'll still reply to any questions or comments about the game!

Last edited by thryckz; 06-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
CapitaCatalunya
Watch

so anything new in the game at all?? release date or dev updates??
Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
thryckz
not donitz but its ok

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaCatalunya View Post
so anything new in the game at all?? release date or dev updates??

Short:
Yes! Just yesterday I pushed an update to the internal build on steam and I've gotten some good reception. I'm currently working on the electrical system for the game which will allow the player to actually diagnose issues in the submarine (i.e. after a torpedo hit) and attempt to fix it. I've redone a lot of the code to allow easy changing from my end so I can cater to all markets so to speak. I mean, I'm talking that if the player wants to startup the submarine they good as well can and actually that's the first thing on the list as it ties hand to hand with the electrical system.

Long:
I put up a blog at my website here which I'm going to try and keep populated as well of SubSim but I've been doing a tremendous amount of work on the game for the past few days. I'm off my IRL job for the entire week so I can really pull 10 hour days all of this week so expect a insane amount of news probably by the end of this week or on the blog. I'm on a roll. I hope to have the basics of the electrical system finished today and I'll work more on the functionality of the submarine today and tomorrow. Then depending on what gets done I can decorate the helm a little more so I can MAYBE do some pictures or something so SubSim can see the current state of the game.
There is a apparent issue though. The submarine that is currently in the steam build is modeled after a Type VIIC and I've altered it slightly to allow for more modern equipment. The issue arises when I realized I know very little about the components of the submarine so to factor in that issue I've been taking a little longer writing all of the code so that I can make it so whenever I correct an issue of realism in the submarine it won't be impossible to fix. This is actually a very nice addition.
Now, you're probably wondering what type of game this is going to be. The simple answer is I want it to be a 1970's-1980's submarine simulator built for modern computers. However, the tough answer is I'm not sure yet. I want it to be as realistic as you all are used to Silent Hunter mods but there's so much more when your dealing with submarines that can launch nukes. Everything modeled in the game is fictitious and that is simply because we can't exactly look inside a Los Angeles Submarine. However, the end goal is to make this a game where you can do full campaigns on, have short 10 minute patrols or spend multiple days on the patrol. I want it to play like you are a cog of the war machine and you have your orders and the other subs have theirs.

I hope that gets me off the hook for the next two days for my extreme lack of transparency with you guys.

Thanks for being such a great community!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
thryckz
not donitz but its ok

SHO

First off. I'm going to be posting the link to this thread on SubSim if you don't like reddit. I know there's only a handful of subscribers on /r/rustysheep so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Now, the main question. Where is DOCTRINE?
My goal is to make a DCS-level submarine simulator. I want the player to be able to play the game how they want to play it. I've worked on big projects before such as THRIVE (just briefly) and programmed the back end (which has now probably been replaced) to what would become ARMA 3 LIFE. Ever since I played Silent Hunter for the first time I loved submarine warfare. The whole concept behind the "silence before the storm". I knew that if I learned how to make a game I would have plans to make it better. And over the years of me learning new things, all it has done is increase the list of ideas for my submarine game.

I've had good runs of development with Doctrine. Really good runs. I wish I made posts about the work but in retrospect here are some features I was waiting to show you. It's not impressive by any means but it laid the foundations of all of the systems in the sub which meant it was smooth sailing from that point on.

* All CRT/LCD screens were rendered separately outside the world meaning that I had an insane amount of control over how they reacted. For example if I wanted the text to print red on a screen all I would have to type is LCDScreen.PrintInColor.Red("Testing"). That is really impressive for how everything functioned on those screens.
* Electrical System + Startup. (The player had to turn all of the systems on in the submarine to get each individual thing working. This was programmed so it can be as modular as possible just in case the player didn't want to deal with the whole starting up portion of the submarine (Which I assume a lot of people would). Lights would flicker if they weren't getting enough power and the power draws were all dynamic meaning the electrical system would actually try to balance out the power between all of the objects which could make things not function. (Lights being dimmed, LCD screens turning off or flickering)
Entire sub was finished and furnished. This took a lot of time because I had to think a head about how I wanted everything laid out so if I ever wanted to add functionality to something then I wouldn't have to make a pact with the devil just to make a button work.

Now again, Where is DOCTRINE?

Doctrine is no where. I am back to square one. I have all of the assets on my server so whenever it's possible I am going to redo the project. I had DOCTRINE on a SSD and it just stopped working one day. Replaced the cable & tried different ports and ultimately I just bought a different SSD and haven't worked on the project since.

Are you going to work on DOCTRINE anytime soon?
Yes. I am just not sure when. It's not that hard of a game to make it's just tedious being the only developer. I have to do everything multiple times to get it perfect which involves me learning a lot more. I think I mentioned before that Unity3D is on the path to introduce what is called ECS which would be a enormous benefit to DOCTRINE as it would allow me to have thousands and thousands of ships being modeled at once without any performance hit. That's insane. The issue lies with two things though.

Unity3D's implementation of ECS is still in it's infancy. It's possible but you have to program a lot of features that Unity is going to include later down the line anyway.
Programming using ECS is very different than programming for a game in general. I'm not comfortable programming in such a way yet.
I want the game to use ECS and by all means it will. I just need to choose when to start.

Lastly, why the silence?
I'm a 21 year old high school dropout who's sub-contracting as a carpet installer. I'm lower class living in a ****ty area. A lot of money went towards this game and when my SSD failed I just felt broken that all of my hours of work were down the drain (I still have the assets though) . I had friends that would play test the steam version for me and give really good feedback on stuff they liked and straight up ask me "What the **** are you thinking" on the things they didn't. I had a friend that could care less about submarines but would fund this project to hell and back if I showed progress. I had a lot more help than a lot of other developers had and I wasted it all. I've lost the trust of SubSim because of it.

So, I ask. Do not hold your breath for Doctrine. If it comes and I hope it does then I will surely make it up to you. I won't make the same mistakes I've been making with the lack of communication and being an overall dumbass with how I was handling the project. I just get so discouraged when things go wrong. I wish all of you the best. I'm so sorry that there was hype was built up and nothing was met.

Taken from reddit.

Tags
indie , modern , simulator , submarine , unity