SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-16, 05:09 PM   #1
Mr_Dirt
Swabbie

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default using kill flags in Fall of the Rising Sun

Is it possible to use the kill flag mod in FOTRS. I have the mod loaded with jsme, but it does not show up in the game. I am using Silent hunter WOTP VERSION 1.5. The FOTRS version is version 1.3 en. Thanks for the help.
Mr_Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 06:50 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

A sub skin is not dependent on what mod you are using. It will work with any mod configuration and doesn't even need to be installed in port. What kill flag mod are you using. Can you post a link?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 07:10 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Just to echo what RR says, any of the Kill Flag mods will work just fine woth FOTRS. I use them myself quite often.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 07:20 AM   #4
Mr_Dirt
Swabbie

I downloaded the sub skin from www.battleflags.com. The skin is the SS 228 USS Drum_Gato Fooskin. I have not been able to see it in the game. I have also downloaded the files you posted in a kink RR. The link was in a post about the kill flag mod here in the sh4 mod section. It had all the files that you were given from a gentleman who left this forum. I have not figured out how to use them yet to add kill flags to my sub. I am returning from several years away from SH4, but I was around when battleflags was first offered. I always wanted to use the mod then, but never got around to it. I thank you gentlemen for your help. RR I have read and used many of your suggestions. Thank you for all of your help.
John
Old 10-24-16, 12:09 PM   #5
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dirt View Post
I downloaded the sub skin from www.battleflags.com. The skin is the SS 228 USS Drum_Gato Fooskin. I have not been able to see it in the game. I have also downloaded the files you posted in a kink RR. The link was in a post about the kill flag mod here in the sh4 mod section. It had all the files that you were given from a gentleman who left this forum. I have not figured out how to use them yet to add kill flags to my sub. I am returning from several years away from SH4, but I was around when battleflags was first offered. I always wanted to use the mod then, but never got around to it. I thank you gentlemen for your help. RR I have read and used many of your suggestions. Thank you for all of your help.
John
Many of the mods made for SH4 come in JSGME form which simply means that they can be installed via the JSGME. It involves a folder within a folder. When you open up the main folder use the one that you see next to install. At least I suspect that is what happened.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 01:25 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If the file is actually from (the www dot battleflags dot com link is not valid):

http://battleflags.us/submarines/Gat...name&order=asc

then the mod is properly built for use with JSGME. You just have to make sure you put the "SS212Gato..." folder in the MODS folder of SH4, and then activate it with JSGME. It then overwrite the "Submarine" and "Textures" folders under "Data" with the new info. I haven't a clue as to what the difference between stock and the mod skins would be. It might just be something subtle...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 08:25 PM   #7
Mr_Dirt
Swabbie

I downloaded the files from your link and I still see no change in my sub skin. I am using jsme to load my FOTRS MOD. I cannot figure why it will not load my skins too.
Old 10-27-16, 06:39 AM   #8
propbeanie

I finally found what I knew was on this site:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=122870

I'd forgotten that you had to "file an after-action report" with them (the Killflags Team), and they would do the flags and other emblems for you. It basically involves making a new skin... Read what you want of the thread, it's 108 pages long, and I'm sure there's some useful info in there. Just browsing through, I found on Page 95 where Digital Trucker announces the de-activation of the Killflags Team in 2009. It looks like that FADM Gryphon took over for a while, but it apparently didn't last long, and I've quit reading there. Some mention that the team had left instructions for how to do the mod somewhere, but I've not found those yet. My "Search" skills leave much to be desired...

So basically, what you downloaded is a nice skin, not too much different from "stock" or any other skin. The Killflags Team did the adding-on of emblems and killflags for the members. If you go to the "root" of that http://battleflags.us/ site, you'll see a link for the "Updates" that members could download their skins. You had to log-in to download. That particular site was set-up by another SubSim member here, and is just a mirror of the original, and is no longer actively maintained.

Edit: Say, I found this linked to in that thread:
- ToobYu vid

with a bit of noodling, you'll be able to do it yourself.

... and it imbedded the vid here... I just wanted a linkie - oh well

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-27-16 at 09:52 AM. Reason: wow... hyperlinks are a ~bother~
Old 10-28-16, 08:38 PM   #9
Mr_Dirt
Swabbie

Thanks for your help I will read that link and see if there is any way to make the mod work. I hope so I know RR had another link that had all of Digital truckers files in it. I have not spent enough time ever modding anything. RR talked about uploading the file to this forum, but I have not seen them yet. I did download the skins but the emblem sows up with a dds viewer, but not in the game. Thanks for your help. I have watched that video also, but now I need to watch it closer to see how it is done. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-16, 08:07 AM   #10
propbeanie

Gimp has like a gnu license and is freeware. It works similarly to Photoshop LE, but is different enough to cause me confusion. 'Course, I fall asleep at 9pm, wake-up at 6am the next day, and can't remember my name, so I'm easily confused... Anyway, Gimp has a dds plug-in, and I'm not remembering right now if I got from their site, elsewhere, or if it came in the package... but it's easy enough to dig around on their site and get up to speed.

There is a sub skinning tutorial on the site here, in the Mods Workshop forum, probably a-ways down the list far enough to have to be "Searched" for here, and there's some tips on how to figure out what goes where in the skinning, if that vid doesn't go into enough detail. The difficult part of skinning for me is getting things to look "real". My stuff is always either too much, or not enough, making things look either "buried", or else sticking out. Then again, I never was any good with staying inside the lines in a coloring book either...

RR will get that stuff posted soon. He's just a little busy lately with the FotRS Ultimate project, and that Matthew dude that went through his town down there in Florida and left a bit of a mess...

Old 10-29-16, 09:01 AM   #11
Mr_Dirt
Swabbie

Thanks again for the info. I hope everything is ok with RR. I have both Gimp and Photoshop, but have mastered niether one. I have tried making a few aircraft skins, but like you said art is not in me. I struggle to draw a straight line even with a ruler. I will look into the Gimp program and see if I can do any better with a sub. Thanks again for your help.
Thanks John
Old 10-29-16, 09:19 AM   #12
propbeanie

"Duh" on my part... over in the Mods Workshop is Onkel Neal's SH4 Master Thread... and in that is a link to Sub Skinning Tutorial

Photoshop also has a dds plug-in, but a lot of folks use the one from nVidia... now, where's that link...

Old 10-29-16, 10:15 AM   #13
Mr_Dirt
Swabbie

Thanks I think I already have the dds from NVIDA for photoshop. I once upon a time thought I was talented enough to create a skin for my cargo business in a sim called Air Hauler, so I downloader all the programs and things for photo shop. I downloaded Gimp also. The problem was I am much to impatient to be a good artist. Good skins come with time and I am always moving on to something else. That is why I am indebted to the fine people who take the time to develope the wonderful mods we get. I am thankful for the talented people who devote their time to make all our sims better.