Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-18, 06:44 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar 688 Attack Sub: Modern Analysis

Nice video of a guy bringing a modern perspective on the first in the Jane's 688(I) series.

I sure loved playing as the Alfa
Old 06-24-18, 07:07 AM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

I remember the game, it feels like yesterday.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 12:51 PM   #3
swampwater
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Hi all - Nathan here. I made the video. I can't thank you enough for posting this here. This was one of my first jumps into the sub sim genre. I played a few others, years ago, but I can't remember them very much sadly. I had no idea there was such a dedicated community to these types of games - and now I'm going down the rabbit hole, and discovering new games, and receiving recommendations of what to play.

Again - thank you for the warm welcome, and sharing my video. You didn't have to do that, but I sincerely appreciate it.
swampwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 06:03 PM   #4
jaop99
Loader

Downloads: 25

I was fan of all subs games since the EA's 688 Attack Sub, which I modded (cracking the code in ASM language), and added sub launched missiles and many other features to the game.

Nice video!
jaop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 03:41 AM   #5
swampwater
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaop99 View Post
I was fan of all subs games since the EA's 688 Attack Sub, which I modded (cracking the code in ASM language), and added sub launched missiles and many other features to the game.

Nice video!
That's really interesting. Did you crack the DOS version? Do you still have your mod you made?

Thank you! If you have any suggestions of cool, retro sub games I should check out, I'd love to tackle the genre again. I don't wanna write the genre off just because one game wasn't for me, y'know?
Old 06-26-18, 10:43 AM   #6
jaop99
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwater View Post
That's really interesting. Did you crack the DOS version? Do you still have your mod you made?

Thank you! If you have any suggestions of cool, retro sub games I should check out, I'd love to tackle the genre again. I don't wanna write the genre off just because one game wasn't for me, y'know?
Oh no, I would have want it!, I was working in those years (since the end 70's) in the Cuban Armed Forces, and it was impossible to copy anything on a diskette and remove it from the building. All the magnetic support must be kept in a closed folder, by a rope embedded in a plasticine, sealed, and stored in the secret office

And yes, was the DOS version, I cracked it with the Borland C Debugger, and changed the code directly in the exe file
Old 06-27-18, 04:48 AM   #7
swampwater
Swabbie

That is SO COOL! Shame you couldn't keep it/take it home. Have you modded any other games? I definitely like the DOS version better, so would be interested to see some cool mods for it.
Old 06-27-18, 02:11 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Remember it well. I also distinctly remember my first desktop. Emachine 550 Monster.
Old 06-27-18, 03:30 PM   #9
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Cool video! Inspired me to load the DOS version on to my 1st gen iPad, using Powerdos, so I can try it out.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 06:57 PM   #10
swampwater
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Remember it well. I also distinctly remember my first desktop. Emachine 550 Monster.
Just looked that machine up. "Never obsolete", according to the sticker, eh? :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
Cool video! Inspired me to load the DOS version on to my 1st gen iPad, using Powerdos, so I can try it out.
That's pretty handy. I'd imagine it would work well on the iPad. How does the game hold up for you?
Old 06-27-18, 10:10 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

swampwater!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 03:44 AM   #12
swampwater
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
swampwater!
Old 06-29-18, 01:12 PM   #13
jaop99
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwater View Post
That is SO COOL! Shame you couldn't keep it/take it home. Have you modded any other games? I definitely like the DOS version better, so would be interested to see some cool mods for it.
As you know, US had an embargo against Cuba for many years (and today Trump renewed it!), that's why many of the software that arrived to Cuba was bought in a private scale. There was a team in the Armed Forces that cracked most of this software, in order to install in many others PCs without license. In this case, I modded the game for my own!

After that, the Cuban Navy was interested in simulators, and I designed a Harpoon style strategic and tactical system, first for the Navy, and later all branches wanted it, and was included air and ground forces aswell, was programmed in C for Windows 2.11 (1989)

That was the last mod I did for a game, was tired and hungry, I left the Armed Forces at mid 90s, later I left Cuba for good!
Old 06-30-18, 03:45 PM   #14
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I have DosBox on my computer with D-Fend Reloaded as a front-end and Magic DosBox, DosBox Turbo on an Android tablet but there isn't a better retro interface than this Powerdos for Apple devices. I don't know if they still have it available on the Apple store. Anyways it isn't a very powerful tablet being so old but these 1990 dos games are great on it. I have to admit I find the Sega Mega Drive really fascinating, never knew about it before.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 06:32 AM   #15
swampwater
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaop99 View Post
As you know, US had an embargo against Cuba for many years (and today Trump renewed it!), that's why many of the software that arrived to Cuba was bought in a private scale. There was a team in the Armed Forces that cracked most of this software, in order to install in many others PCs without license. In this case, I modded the game for my own!

After that, the Cuban Navy was interested in simulators, and I designed a Harpoon style strategic and tactical system, first for the Navy, and later all branches wanted it, and was included air and ground forces aswell, was programmed in C for Windows 2.11 (1989)

That was the last mod I did for a game, was tired and hungry, I left the Armed Forces at mid 90s, later I left Cuba for good!
That's so interesting! You designed a sim for the navy? I'm guessing you won't have the source code for that - as you mentioned taking floppy disks outside was impossible. You said you haven't modded a game, but have you been coding still, since you left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
I have DosBox on my computer with D-Fend Reloaded as a front-end and Magic DosBox, DosBox Turbo on an Android tablet but there isn't a better retro interface than this Powerdos for Apple devices. I don't know if they still have it available on the Apple store. Anyways it isn't a very powerful tablet being so old but these 1990 dos games are great on it. I have to admit I find the Sega Mega Drive really fascinating, never knew about it before.
I didn't realise there were so many Dos related programs, and addons for DosBox. Kinda keep it simple when I use DosBox in case I break something lol.

The Mega Drive is amazing. It was HUGE in Europe, especially the UK, so it's kinda inevitable that I grew up being a Sega fan boy. Taking off the nostalgia goggles though, the SNES was the better system all round, but the Mega Drive/Genesis had some brilliant games, and music! I'm working on my next video, which looks at the licensed game of that old Nick show - Aaaahh!! Real Monsters. If you liked what I brought to sub sim genre, and you're interested in learning more about the Mega Drive, I'd love to see what you think of my future videos.

I just wanted to say thanks again to this community. My video is nearly at 500 views - and I honestly couldn't have reached that without the support of this website.