SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-14, 03:55 AM   #1
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Default Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
For specific technical help with crashes or bugs, please go to the troubleshooting thread instead.
  • Where can I download Sub Commander?
    Download links are in this post: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...96&postcount=1

• Is there a Mac or Linux compatible version?
    Not yet. Some players have reported it is possible to run the game through Wine on Linux and Wineskin Winery on OSX, however. The following instructions were posted in the Reddit thread for the game by user arcsey:
    "Use Wineskin Winery. Create a wrapper with Wineskin 2.6.0 (current version) and use WS9WineCX13.1.0 as your engine. Just move the subcommander_0_23 folder into Program Files and set subcommander_0_23.exe as the executable. It should run fine without having to change any other settings."

• There are too many random accidents on board the submarine! How do I make them less frequent?
    Set the sub_reliability parameter in gameoptions.ini to a higher number. The mean time between failures on the sub is 10 + 2*sub_reliability seconds, so higher numbers mean accidents are less common. Setting this value to -5 will completely prevent random accidents from occurring.

• Is there a wiki/manual/game guide?
    The guide.txt file in the game folder lists all of the keyboard controls and describes most of the subsystems in the game. An updated, improved manual will be released soon.

• How do I change my submarine's nationality?
    Set the player_nation line in gameoptions.ini to whatever you want. As of version 0.24, your choices are:
    • USSR
    • USA
    • United Kingdom
    • China
    • East Germany
    • West Germany
    • France
    • Spain
    • Italy
    • Turkey
    • Japan
    • South Korea
    • North Korea
    • India
    • Pakistan
    • Brazil
    • Philipenes
    • Indonesia
    • Cuba
    • Argentina
    • Australia
    • South Africa
    • Libya
    • Iran
    • Israel
    • Poland
    • Canada
    • Sweden
    • Finland
    • Peru
    • Venezuela
    • Colombia
    • Chile
    • Taiwan
    • Netherlands
    • Norway

Last edited by TheGeoff; 09-24-14 at 11:06 PM.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 09:07 AM   #2
SubwayCommander
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

I have questions that I haven't found the answer to in the guide! I'm not yet a pro submariner, but this game is very entertaining.

• Does using the radar make me easier to detect by enemies?
  • In the weapons system, if ships are "unknown vessel", how do I identify them?
  • What else can I do with the sonar, besides scrolling through ship signatures with + and -?
  • How do I read sonar signatures? I don't see how the signature lines and sonar output correlate.
  • If a steam turbine is damaged, does it suffer further damage if I keep it turned on? The turbines always seem to fail spectacularly.
Old 06-18-14, 07:14 PM   #3
TheGeoff
Planesman

Good questions!
  • Does using the radar make me easier to detect by enemies?
    Not at the moment. In the future, however, some enemy vessels and aircraft will be able to detect and track your submarine's radar emissions.

• In the weapons system, if ships are "unknown vessel", how do I identify them?
    To determine the exact type and name of the ship you need to get close to it (within ~6 nautical miles) while at periscope depth or shallower. The ship's name, nationality and type can then be seen by viewing it through the periscope (T to cycle targets).

• What else can I do with the sonar, besides scrolling through ship signatures with + and -?
    You can also target ships by pressing 'T' to cycle through sonar contacts. If you select a target this way before firing a torpedo, the torpedo will automatically track the target vessel. Targeting a sonar contact will also show its sound signature on the LOFAR analysis screen, allowing you to identify the ship by comparing its signature to the database.

• How do I read sonar signatures? I don't see how the signature lines and sonar output correlate.
    Select the sonar contact by pressing T until it is highlighted. The contact's sound signature will now appear in the LOFAR analysis screen - you can determine what type of ship it is by comparing the signature to the database.

• If a steam turbine is damaged, does it suffer further damage if I keep it turned on? The turbines always seem to fail spectacularly.
    Most mechanical systems on the submarine (turbines, generators etc) have a speed governor which prevents the machine from exceeding safe limits on speed, power output etc. If the governor is damaged, other components in the system (like the rotor) may also be damaged if the system is not promptly shut down. If a turbine is damaged you should immediately shut it down using the turbine control panel so it can safely be repaired.
Old 06-24-14, 04:47 PM   #4
Fenex
Swabbie

Default Sonar

I coudn't help but notice that you said you can scroll through signatures of ships in the sonar panel I have tried this but can't i can only change my heading so what am i doing wrong, also the f1 dousn't show anything about ship signitures

EDIT:Sorry I am a idiot I downloaded wrong the wrong version.
Fenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 01:31 PM   #5
kust
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Default User created subs ?

Will we be able to create our own submarines or will we get more submarines ?
Keep the good work up with this game

Last edited by kust; 08-05-14 at 01:45 PM.
kust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 07:38 AM   #6
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kust View Post
Here is the latest Sub Developer Tools program, have fun designing your own sub!

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 08:39 PM   #7
TheGeoff
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kust View Post
You can create your own submarines using these tools: http://goo.gl/MxBNIc

There is a step-by-step guide included to walk you through the process. Be warned that the submarine editor has a terrible, unfriendly user interface at the moment and is kind of hard to use - hopefully I'll get time to make a better version soon!

Let me know if you have any problems, and feel free to share your creations with us!
Old 08-06-14, 11:16 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

Kust!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 06:58 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome kust

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 07:42 PM   #10
P-Dup
Swabbie

What exactly does the Turbine Generator do and what happens if it is damaged or destroyed?
P-Dup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-14, 03:09 AM   #11
zog081
Bilge Rat

Default anti submarine warfare

Hello,

I registered to ask this one question.

I have no trouble sinking surface targets, radar use, periscope use, and sonar target identification.

I generally have found the weapons system control panel to be difficult to use.

Now I get to the nut. I can see incoming torpedoes from enemy submarines in the weapons system control panel, but cannot find the enemy subs themselves. what I have yet to figure out is how to target enemy subs.

please advise, I can identify them from sonar, I can see their incoming torps, but I cannot see them to target them and return fire. just laying a spread in the direction of incoming fire is not effective.

Maybe something like an active sonar pulse to identify submerged targets?
Or am I missing something obvious?

That said, excellent game, great work so far. and thank you!
zog081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 01:19 AM   #12
TheGeoff
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dup View Post
What exactly does the Turbine Generator do and what happens if it is damaged or destroyed?
The turbine generator generates electrical power from the steam produced in the reactors. Basically, the more damaged it is the less efficiently the power will be converted (meaning less power is available for pumps, radar etc.), and if it is completely destroyed, no electrical power will be generated from the reactors. The power lost in the turbine generator is listed as 'INEFFICIENCY' in the power summary display on the power systems control panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog081 View Post
Hello,

I registered to ask this one question.

I have no trouble sinking surface targets, radar use, periscope use, and sonar target identification.

I generally have found the weapons system control panel to be difficult to use.

Now I get to the nut. I can see incoming torpedoes from enemy submarines in the weapons system control panel, but cannot find the enemy subs themselves. what I have yet to figure out is how to target enemy subs.

please advise, I can identify them from sonar, I can see their incoming torps, but I cannot see them to target them and return fire. just laying a spread in the direction of incoming fire is not effective.

Maybe something like an active sonar pulse to identify submerged targets?
Or am I missing something obvious?

That said, excellent game, great work so far. and thank you!
It's not obvious, and I think a lot of people have missed this:

Selecting a target on the sonar screen (by pressing T) will 'track' the target exactly as if it was selected on the weapon systems control panel. So if you select the target on the sonar, then switch to the weapon systems panel (or periscope) and fire a torpedo, the torpedo will automatically steer towards the target. The target will not be marked on the map, but your sub is tracking it nonetheless.

Hopefully this clarifies things. Active sonar might be added soon anyway, which will change the sonar targeting system slightly.
Old 02-05-15, 05:25 PM   #13
Austin90
Nub

Downloads: 5

First of all, I ended up coming back just to say that I'm enjoying your game.

If I send a crewmate to pick up an item from storage, does this automatically equip? because one time my reactor decided to go full "nope" on me, had to shut it down, got someone to equip the radiation suit after radiation has gone from the thousands to the 10s just to make it stable enough while I head back to port.

Second - If my reactor is damaged and have to be shut down, when I go to port, does it get repaired then?

Me and the crew always end up with a nuclear problem, the coolant just dies on us.
Austin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-15, 09:06 PM   #14
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin90 View Post
First of all, I ended up coming back just to say that I'm enjoying your game.

If I send a crewmate to pick up an item from storage, does this automatically equip? because one time my reactor decided to go full "nope" on me, had to shut it down, got someone to equip the radiation suit after radiation has gone from the thousands to the 10s just to make it stable enough while I head back to port.

Second - If my reactor is damaged and have to be shut down, when I go to port, does it get repaired then?

Me and the crew always end up with a nuclear problem, the coolant just dies on us.
When you send someone to pick up some equipment, they automatically carry it/put the item on, so they will be walking round carrying a toolbox and wearing a radiation suit/gas mask/SCBA gear, if they have collected it.

Second, when you repair in port everything is fixed, including borked reactors and dead crew members.

I deal with reactor pump failures/coolant leaks by surfacing the boat, closing all ventilation valves except the reactor room and opening the main induction valve. Also, lower the running speed of the affected coolant pump. This helps minimise the amount of coolant that is lost and radiation that is leaked. Then get someone suited and booted and in there quickly to repair the damage before it all gets too nasty.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 01:33 PM   #15
Panos1221
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Icon9 Changing the resolution?

Uhm one question its more about the game options is there any way to change the resolution cause on my screen the windows is so much small and I cant see anything?
Panos1221 is offline   Reply With Quote