SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-17, 05:08 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Down grading my older computer

As mentioned in some other threads I have a new computer and the one I had before(Vista) is just laying there not being used. In a thread about Linux I said I would try to install this system on my older computer.

That was what I had in mind, until some weeks ago-I have many old game that I really loved to play-MOHAA + adds , COD, SHII and III, Far Cry 1 and 2, and many more games that I seem to have to much problem installing on my new Win10 computer.

Some days ago I ran into information about down grading a Vista to Windows XP.

I have not the knowledge to do so-Either I have to get my local computer store to do this or I have to wait until my Cousin visit me-I also need a hard copy of this old OS.

Furthermore-This computer, with the former OS installed-Will NOT be connected to the Internet.

After XP have been installed and every runs smoothly I install my older games and get the patches from my new computer-Download it, see if there is any virus in it, if not(most likely there will not be any virus) then I move it to a USB-Stick and install it on my computer that have XP and patch whatever game I need to patch/upgrade.

That is my thoughts-Maybe it can't be done. From what I read about this downgrading Microsoft do not support such a move.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 05:45 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

You should be able to get an Xp disc for nothing but make sure it's at SP2. You can then go to Microsoft Update Catalog and get SP3, or any other Xp updates that were delivered. Drivers for your PC hardware are another issue to resolve.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....arch.aspx?q=Xp

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 05:47 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's really a good idea. There is no such thing in Windows as a downgrade path, so you will have to start with a completely new Windows XP installation. However, XP keys are really easy to get from retired computers. And so long as you keep it off the Internet XP is the finest environment for those older games.

In spite of the fact that you can't downgrade from Vista keeping all your programs, settings, favorites, etc intact, I still think that is your best course.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 06:04 PM   #4
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
As mentioned in some other threads I have a new computer and the one I had before(Vista) is just laying there not being used. In a thread about Linux I said I would try to install this system on my older computer.

That was what I had in mind, until some weeks ago-I have many old game that I really loved to play-MOHAA + adds , COD, SHII and III, Far Cry 1 and 2, and many more games that I seem to have to much problem installing on my new Win10 computer.

Some days ago I ran into information about down grading a Vista to Windows XP.

I have not the knowledge to do so-Either I have to get my local computer store to do this or I have to wait until my Cousin visit me-I also need a hard copy of this old OS.

Furthermore-This computer, with the former OS installed-Will NOT be connected to the Internet.

After XP have been installed and every runs smoothly I install my older games and get the patches from my new computer-Download it, see if there is any virus in it, if not(most likely there will not be any virus) then I move it to a USB-Stick and install it on my computer that have XP and patch whatever game I need to patch/upgrade.

That is my thoughts-Maybe it can't be done. From what I read about this downgrading Microsoft do not support such a move.

Markus

The advice from everyone else is good Markus but there is another option as well. If you are talking about a desktop, It may be easier and cheaper to purchase a decent used and retired computer with XP on it and put the money you save into a good video card so you can play your games.

Just a thought.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 07:13 PM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:

Markus
Before you erase the current hard drive, do you have a spare available that you could test either XP or Linux on?

I searched for the games you list, and these are the results for those games through WINE on Linux...

MOHAA
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...cation&iId=662
Gold or platnum, depending on which version of the game and/or WINE.

NOTE: I have the Single Player, and Multi-Player Demos, I could test these and see if they work on the newest version.

COD:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=1346
Gold or Platnum...

Older results for SH2:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=3300
I'll have to double Check SH2 with my CD...

SH3:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=3793
SH3 works perfectly on newer WINE versions, installs and runs fine. GWX works also. Just don't save surfaced.
I have SH3 installed now.

Far Cry 1:
https://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1743
The version from Steam runs on 1.9, but the Retail DVD doesn't like version 1.8...
It may work with the newer WINE, but it is probably hanging up on the copy protection.
You can always put your CD keys into steam and "import" a game to steam.
I'm not saying that is the way to go, but it is a possibility. (You can still install from/use your disk. My bro did this with the original half-life.)

Far Cry 2:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=8522
Appears to be running well, regardless of version/patch.

On the Subject of WinXP:
The biggest issue I find is this, Going back to XP, I do not have a video card older than an AMD HD6750 (unless we count my ATI Radeon 8500 from 2002-ish), While drivers existed for those for XP, you might have to experiment with driver versions to figure out which one works the best.

Again, if you have an additional hard drive, installing the OS to the new drive, would let you leave the Vista OS untouched. Assuming a "worst case scenario", you could just plug the Vista drive back in and still be able to use the old system.

If you have any other games that you really like/want to play, let me know what they are, and if I have them, I can let you know if/how they run.

2 games give me trouble: Star Trek Bridge Commander (not steam), and Rainbow Six 3 (steam). But that is driver based, as Nvidia card owners report no problems on WINE.
I get really low frame rates, but they do run.

I wish ReactOS would come just a bit quicker.
ReactOS: https://www.reactos.org/

Open source "binary compatable" XP clone.
I installed a few games on the .31/.32 alpha a few years ago... worked mostly OK, I have, but haven't tried the .41 alpha, YET.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 02:27 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
The advice from everyone else is good Markus but there is another option as well. If you are talking about a desktop, It may be easier and cheaper to purchase a decent used and retired computer with XP on it and put the money you save into a good video card so you can play your games.

Just a thought.
Read your comments earlier this night and thought-Hey, why didn't think of that, so I made a search on a Danish version of Ebay and I found a company that sell old used computers.

Markus
Old 03-18-17, 06:07 PM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Read your comments earlier this night and thought-Hey, why didn't think of that, so I made a search on a Danish version of Ebay and I found a company that sell old used computers.

Markus
I hope that works out for you Markus. Eichorchen did the same thing as he has older games and from what he has said, he is happy with the older unit and being able to play his older games. I'm sure he would be able to help you as well and have some insight. Windows 7 isn't too hard to work with either and usually units running Windows 7 have a dual core CPU at 64 bits although there are 32 bit versions as well. Although most games only run on one core, the CPU's can usually be overclocked if the need arises.

With some practice, you can make games work with Windows 10 or Linux but this just gives you some more options Markus. Let us know how things work out.
Old 03-18-17, 07:10 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Amazon has some certified computer refurbishers selling great basic computers for ~$150. I bought one for a client and she was very satisfied! It looked like a new computer inside and was truly refurbished. Use the Subsim Amazon link, of course!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 08:10 PM   #9
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Amazon has some certified computer refurbishers selling great basic computers for ~$150. I bought one for a client and she was very satisfied! It looked like a new computer inside and was truly refurbished. Use the Subsim Amazon link, of course!

An even better option over the people who refurbish computers are those who recycle old units. I have seen them go for between $25-50 dollars and from private sellers although that's in the states.
Old 03-19-17, 12:11 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you so much for your kindly advise

I have been looking at private sellers, however I really don't trust a private seller not when it comes to computers and similar-That's why I'm going to by it from a company-it will cost a little more. The second benefits is that this old computer have been in the hand of a pro.

Markus