SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-12, 10:33 AM   #31
Avimimus
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

So... any chacne of uploading a beta version of these mods?
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 05:49 PM   #32
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Working on the Noesis plug-in again I'm a bit stumped at somethings in some cw files.

I've asked my old friend DivingDuck if he had a few moments to look at somethings.
I hope he has a few moments to spare! His knowledge is priceless!

I'd really like to get some people together to work on a project to create an exporter as the start.
Noesis can do that so We would not need to create the GUI.
Just some Python script.
I know a Guy that's very good with scripts for Noesis and understanding all the Hex stuff.
I've offered to pay him a few bucks to start.

Noesis could also handle an exporter plug-in to export to cw format.
At lest an exporter that starts by doing Swarm objects as the start.

What do you all think?

Last edited by Madox58; 02-10-13 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 10:44 AM   #33
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276

Has anything else been going on with modding? I just came across this game at steam and seriously thinking about getting it. Of course, the first thing I did before buying was to see if there are mods out for it. Looks like the pickings are pretty thin...basically nothing. I read that it is very moddable but I have never done anything like that and have no idea how to do something like that.
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 12:09 PM   #34
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinmar View Post
Has anything else been going on with modding? I just came across this game at steam and seriously thinking about getting it. Of course, the first thing I did before buying was to see if there are mods out for it. Looks like the pickings are pretty thin...basically nothing. I read that it is very moddable but I have never done anything like that and have no idea how to do something like that.
There are a handful of mods, but no megamods, which the game really needs. The problem is that the game, at its core, does not know whether it wants to be a tactical naval simulator, a strategic naval simulator or a naval themed game with a lot of options. I played both flavors of PT Boats and my conclusion is that it really needs a megamod to stand out, but the game is obscure enough to where it may not come. The two biggest problems I have with the game (I really cannot call this a sim) is the fact that, first, the game flaunts the ability to control PT boats, but quickly places you in the position of a task force or convoy commodore. The PT boat quickly becomes relegated to a fully controllable "zergling" that is expected to do the dirty work of a much larger ship. This also means that the missions are also task force oriented, rather than PT boat oriented. The second major issue is the "multiplayer" option. Rather than what appeared in SH2/DC, where you actually had missions and objectives, PT Boats' multiplayer is just the Battlefield multiplayer concept with PT boats, complete with repawns and spawn camping. It is WAY to arcade-style for my taste and the entire multiplayer mode demands an overhaul to be a true sim.

The mission editor is a bear to work with and integrating new missions requires understanding of basic scripting just to add them to the game. Each new, custom mission is a mini-mod of its own. This REALLY limits modability because one cannot simply drag-and-drop new missions. Throw in the fact that every single mission is scripted with no random mission generator. When you are done with the missions, the game is excess space on your hard drive.

Yes, PT Boats has potential, but it is just not popular enough to attract the Megamod it really needs to shine. It is kind of like Shells of Fury in that respect as both are great concepts with less than spectacular execution.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote