SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-13-18, 03:09 PM   #1
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7
Default draft and displacement correction mod -- WAC 5.1/5.1 (beta release)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5370

This mod adds missing draft and displacement values, and/or adjusts previously existing ones, to match the ones in the museum/recognition manual.

After having missed quite a few high-value targets due to under-running torpedoes (even during perfect, clear, calm weather) I started looking into things, especially when a torpedo set to run 2 meters above the keel actually passed just underneath. I discovered a lot of ships had missing or incorrect draft values.

There are two or three files involved for each ship: [ship].cfg, [ship].sim, and (for most) [ship]_en.log, where [ship].sim set the actual, in-game draft of the ship.

Many ships had draft settings of 0, which meant, according to the .sim file, "If 0, then it [draught] is taken from the object's global position"*. Without knowing the draft of a ship, it makes it difficult --if not impossible-- to set proper torpedo run depths.

For ships that had museum entries ([ship]_en.log) I used those values and updated, as needed, the .cfg and .sim values for draft and displacement. When there was no [ship]_en.log file, I used the values in the .cfg file.

This mod adjusts the ships (Sea folder) of the latest WAC mod.

Please let me know if you encounter anything unusual. I would appreciate any feedback, especially regarding comparision of displacements and drafts confirmations of the recognition manuals.

Simply extract the .7z file and move the folder to the MODS folder (assuming you use JSGME, that is. You do use that, right? ) and activate it. You should not need to be in port to do so, just away from any active units, but it is always best to activate between patrols.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
* I have no idea how to determine an object's global position!

Last edited by schlechter pfennig; 07-14-18 at 07:17 PM.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 05:25 AM   #2
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Rev. A is currently being debugged. It will update files so that mass now matches displacement values. It also fixes a bug with the [Name=GE Small Old Steamer#1 / Class=KSSJ], which had an inoperative propeller and therefore never moved.

There are also two ships in the original Sea folder --MAMD and NPT_Br-- which have corrupted .sim files. I'm not sure what to do with those at the moment.

I've already identified several ships which ride either high or low in the water (some a little, a few a lot) based upon their Plimsoll lines. I'll be adjusting their mass/displacement and drafts to make them ride in accordance with their visual model. If you encounter ships that are either riding noticeably high or low, and/or seem to be heaving even in calm weather, I'd appreciate it if you'd drop me a line.

Old 07-19-18, 12:56 PM   #3
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Rev. A is still in process. Rev. A will include the following:

• fixes a bug with the [Name=GE Small Old Steamer#1 / Class=KSSJ], which had an inoperative propeller and therefore never moved
  • update files so that mass now matches displacement values
  • update files to reflect appropriate ship stability
Regarding the latter, my plans are to individually examine each ship during dead calm (0 m/s), moderate (7 m/s) and heavy (15 m/s) seas, and adjust their stability based upon ship type/class. For instance, capital warships, heavy cargo ships, and tankers will be stable, while smaller warships (corvettes, frigates and destroyers) will heave like drunken doxies.

Unfortunately, at this time the only ships I am examining and adjusting are those included in the WAC supermod.
Old 07-23-18, 02:42 PM   #4
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Awesome.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote