SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-18, 08:10 PM   #1
Valadon
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default New Subsimmer, is this the game for me?

Hello Everyone,

I recently picked up Cold Waters on the steam sale and (for the most part) had a blast with it. It's my first subsim since a Janes game I played a long long time ago. However there are a few things that I don't really like about Cold Waters and it made me a bit hungry for a more realistic sim.

My biggest problem with Cold Waters was the campaign map, I don't enjoy moving around on that map and the somewhat chaotic nature of the campaign in general. I would much rather actually sail to where I need to go (with time compression) or set a course and have the AI sail me there and alert me if anything interesting happens. Also the game felt a little like bit more like an arcade flight sim game than a subsim at times, with the magical outside the sub cam and fast paced controls.

As much as I enjoyed it I think I might like something a bit more realistic, but it looks like my options are severally limited at the moment. It looks like SH5 is the only other somewhat modern realistic Sub game around right now. The reviews on steam where so bad I almost wrote it off until I saw someone mention that the Wolves of Steel(?) mod fixes the problems and makes it a pretty great game.

However I am still a bit nervous, it looks like it takes a fair amount of effort to get it running and modded. Not to mention the time it takes to actually learn how to play, especailly for a submarine novice like myself. I also prefer more modern subs to the WWII subs, but I will take what I can get.

So what do you guys think? Do you recommend SH5 with the WoS Mod, is it the best realistic option at the moment? With the steam sale right now it's only about $3, or I can get the silent hunter pack for $13 which has SH3. Is getting the pack worth it? Are the older games still worth playing? Also is there any reason not to buy it from steam, does the mod work ok with the steam version?

If you do recommend I grab it, can you point me in the direction of some good tutorials so that this sub newbie can learn how to play?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. I am not hesitant to get it because of the money, especially being only $3, it's more that I don't want to put hours into getting it modded and working on to find it's not the game for me.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 01:35 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Valadon!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 03:10 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Hi Valadon,

SH5 is a good choice for sure if you have a powerfull pc.
Because to run The Wolves of Steel (TWOS) mod, it’s quite ram memory demanding … and an I5 at least is necessary.

SH5 is a very interesting simulation with plenty eye candy and action in campaigns furthermore with TWOS.
It sticks to real History of ww2 u boats.
I recommand you to read all Theberbster threads about how to install and play TWOS. (In the sticky ones, how to)

On other hand, you have SH4, wich is a very good simulation too!
Not so computer power demanding as SH5, and a lot less buggy (vanilla game)
It’s a blast too, and it’s about American submarine warfare in the pacific theater.
Submarines are a bit more moderns but really historical too.
You will have to get the u boat mission add on to get the latest version of the game, to be able to mod it with the majority of mods.
I highly suggest you to try the TMOWTW mod, wich is perfect for good entertainment.

I have both silent hunter installed, and I love both…
They both have good points and bad points, not the same…
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 03:20 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Valadon
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 06:28 AM   #5
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim Valadon.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 07:30 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

If you are new to the SH series then I don't recommend to start with SH5, start with SH3 (Atlantic battle field) or with SH4 (Pacific battle field).
The reason is that SH5 is difficult to setup to run correctly, you need good computer knowledge and patience to read the numerous docs (or watching tutorial videos) for playing it without hassle. Note that there is no good 'overall' manual or documentation for SH5 outside of the sticky threads in the SH5 forum here, so you have to patiently browse and read...

SH3 and SH4 are more stable once you setup correctly (have at least 8GB RAM to run all megamods), but here also it's not an 'install-and-play' procedure, so you need to be patient...These games have good documentations and manuals to start you (also the mods).

IMO, the best way to get started with the SH series is to play SH3 + GWX3 mod which is the most stable with excellent documentation.

But yes, SH5 will pretty do all what you describe above with the TWoS megamod that you install over the stock game v. 1.2.0. Although it has a sort of autopilot called 'Automation feature' you need to give a lot of commands to your crew, walk through compartments of your sub etc. So it's for sure SLOWER than in Cold Waters, I'm not sure you like it, watch videos, but be prepared that most of them are outdated.

Good videos to watch:
stoianm1 videos on Youtube (can all be played like seen with TWoS mod)

Welcome,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-26-18 at 08:18 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 10:18 AM   #7
Valadon
Nub

Downloads: 4

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

My computer is more or less a top of the line gaming rig with 16 gigs of ram so I shouldn't have a problem running SH5...hopefully. I am also a computer tech and pretty comfortable with modding and it sounds like you guys have out together some good documentation on how to apply the mod so I am not too worried about that part.

However I think I slept though the sub command class in college so I am a bit worried about learning the game, especially with the mod. So maybe I will start with SH3 and work my way up. I am just a little worried that SH3 might not have aged that well. I will give it a try and see if I can get into it. I also love reading manuals and tutorials so I don't mind taking the time to learn SH5 as long is there are some good resources to read/watch.

So I'm off to start reading what THEBERBSTER has posted.

Thanks!

*Edit* After watching some youtube of SH3-5 I have decided to start with 4. It still looks somewhat decent, sounds like it plays pretty well. Plus I think it's American subs so I get a taste of that and then German subs when I move on to SH5. So I think I will play on somewhat easy mode on SH4 to get the hang of it, and then move to more full realism settings when I move to SH5.

Last edited by Valadon; 06-26-18 at 02:22 PM.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 11:38 PM   #8
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 06:34 AM   #9
Spraki
Watch

Downloads: 14

Hi Valadon,

I myself am a SH5 newbie. I too had read the abyssmal reviews of the game, but it seems SH5 (and SH in general) is saved by the community =), and the dear mods people made.

Personally, I played SH1 like crazy, and for a long while SH2. I have no experience in SH3 or 4 -- and 5, I've "barely begun".

I see you've made your decision.

What I can say about SH5 (with TWOS, as I immediately installed that one), is that it is quite beautiful. There is a LOT to learn and it never get's boring. There is nothing more satisfying that doing all the "math and technobabble" no other friend would understand and the resulting BOOOOM! (or miss lol)

SH5/TWOS brings in a lot of toys. Like interactive attack discs and other stuff, where you can literally do ingame calculations. And it really sparks your mind and interest on the maths. Ofc, SH4 and 3 could do the same.

SH5 is probably the ugly duckling redheaded stepchild, but I really enjoy it. The mods also bring in the lovely DAS BOOT soundtrack, and you do get that drive when the "Konvoi" theme plays.

I too will be playing SH4 at some point. Or even SH3, I remember reading somebody who added the SeaQuest DSV lol.

Quote:
p.s. I am not hesitant to get it because of the money, especially being only $3, it's more that I don't want to put hours into getting it modded and working on to find it's not the game for me.
Okay. The modding part miiiiiight be a bit tricky.

There are indeed several steps to do. And if you do one wrong, you'll have to do a fresh install again. AFAIK though, you don't have to worry about the "steam sh5.exe" issue, as TWOS seems to come with a fixer already. At least for me, that worked well

Nonetheless, you do need to do some clicking. But TWOS mod already comes with a ton of other mods. So once all that installing and activating is done, you don't really need to mess with it again ever. As silly as that sounds. It's worth it though =)

Just be sure to do the research as TWOS is kinda like an all-inclusive total conversion, where you can't just mix in other mods like that.

About subs:

Suppose SH1 is old, but... SH1 comes with several playable American subs. Ranging from the baby S-class, to Balao, T-class (err, was that Trench class? I forgot!) and even the big V-subs like the Narwhal nautilus, with their two BIG UMPF deck guns.

SH2 - No idea which class was used, but it was german. Suppose it stuck with standard VIIs, as with SH5.
No idea on SH3 or 4.

I suppose SH4 without mods also gives you a few other playable subs(?).

Wish vanilla Sh5 had a selection of smaller and larger subs, like the XXI. Heard that was quite the Uboot-CRUISER in terms of range.
Spraki is offline   Reply With Quote