Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-11-13, 08:46 AM   #61
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Maybe it would be worth it partnering up with someone online who will be ATC for one game session and one person or two people who fly for it and then switch off every once and a while. Could nice and interesting.
Master the plane and the basic functions first. If you do not know what to do when to achieve landing configuration and do a safe landing or a safe go around, no radio voice can help you.

Step by step!

P.S. And as said before: with your head be ahead of the present moment. Have a moving map inside your head, always.
Old 01-11-13, 09:11 AM   #62
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Master the plane and the basic functions first. If you do not know what to do when to achieve landing configuration and do a safe landing or a safe go around, no radio voice can help you.

Step by step!

P.S. And as said before: with your head be ahead of the present moment. Have a moving map inside your head, always.
Roger!! Sorry sometimes I get ahead of myself. These were Ideas for when I have mastered my flight routine

Flying basics first, then accelration to upgrade to SP2 then planes and or REX
Old 01-11-13, 09:27 AM   #63
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I can't read what's on the image, could you make it a little bigger, please?

Old 01-11-13, 09:33 AM   #64
Skybird
Soaring

Buy a bigger monitor.
Old 01-11-13, 09:37 AM   #65
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Roger!! Sorry sometimes I get ahead of myself. These were Ideas for when I have mastered my flight routine

Flying basics first, then accelration to upgrade to SP2 then planes and or REX
If you have SP2 and SP1, you do not need Acceleration for technical reasons, only for some additional content (two or three more polanes, some cities depoicted in more details, some missions added). If you have Acceleration, you do not need to worry for SP1 and SP2, since they are part of it. FSX Gold is FSX + Acceleration.
Old 01-11-13, 09:45 PM   #66
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If you have SP2 and SP1, you do not need Acceleration for technical reasons, only for some additional content (two or three more polanes, some cities depoicted in more details, some missions added). If you have Acceleration, you do not need to worry for SP1 and SP2, since they are part of it. FSX Gold is FSX + Acceleration.

Hmm well how big are SP1 and 2?? And what planes are added in acceleration. More planes and a hard copy with me (I left FSX back home when I deployed) would be wonderful.
Old 01-12-13, 07:18 AM   #67
Skybird
Soaring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...:_Acceleration

It seems that originally there have been a standard and a deluxe version of FSX. I did not know that.
Old 01-21-13, 08:55 AM   #68
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hmm so I had a bit of a little problem with ILS today. Flying a 737 from Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky. Pretty uneventful, climbed to 11,000, requested 15,000 as I like to fly above the clouds then all went well until I came in on my approach.

She picked up and intercepted the localizer just fine, and I set my altitude at around 1,300 feet and intercepted the glideslope from under. And the plane took a dive.

Just missed this poor Csesna, probably made him crap his pants we were that close. Anyways, good thing is I ripped it off auto pilot and brought it in for the landing on the icy runway. Is the problem that maybe I just intercepted the glideslope TOO low thereby making me intercept it too close to the runway and thats why it took that dive?

Either way, Im getting the hang of things. I know how to use my GPS/NAV modes and do my approaches and even intercept glideslopes and locs manually (albeit with some error).
Old 01-21-13, 09:42 AM   #69
Skybird
Soaring

Difficult to say without knowing your flight profile and how your altitude matched distances to the airfield. 1300 for a GS is already quite low. Try to have your localiser intecept at around 15 miles out, and when intercepting, have your altitude above ground at somewhere 3500 +/-500.

Your problem could be speed-related as well. Whn you sink below 10000 feet, it is amkndatory in all parts of the world that you must have your speed reduced to at least 250 kn at 10000. In climbs, below 10000 they use 250, in decents below 1000 they use 240. When you are receiving the localiser signal and are still 20 miles out or more, reduce your speed even further to 200-220. Do not forget to follow with your flaps lowering, I do not know how many flaps settings the default 737 offers, but flaps 1, 2 and 5 can be used up until 250 kn maximum, flaps 10 at 210, and then the following settings follow until you have flaps 30 (40 is rarely used only) at around 160 or 170. If you have not owered your gear at a speed of around 170 or with flaps exceeding 15, you should get an alarm over landing configuration mismatch, but again, maybe the default 737 does not do that.

However, do localiser intercept at altiude 3500 15 miles out with 220 kn, when on localiser, add APP mode, when APP is active and GS intercepted, start to deccelerate to touch down speed. Idf there is no reason to raise the stakes, don't raise the stakes then - keep your time and distance to the airfield for lining up the plane - do not turn into your flare! O'Hare is not Kai Tak!
Old 01-21-13, 10:04 AM   #70
Skybird
Soaring

BTW, a 737 is rarely, if ever, flown at those altitudes you mentioned - too low. Economy flight is possible only at very high 20 thousands and 30 thousands. Although here in Europe A320s and B737 sometimes, or often, get talked by control into using flight levels in the mid 20 thousands, due to traffic situations. But airlines don't like that, it costs them more fuel.

For your flight, it is around 250 miles, maybe 45 minutes. FL 260-300 probably would be adequate. I do flights of that length at those altitudes at least.

In your country, I think the altitude for Victor Airways (low altitude airways) is below and for Jet Airways (high altitude airways) is above 18000 feet.
Old 01-21-13, 10:58 AM   #71
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
O'Hare is not Kai Tak!
Not even Kai Tak is Kai Tak anymore.

I think I was always successful there, don't think I ever crashed*. All VFR - I'd be straight into that hill if I relied on me using IMC.

*Unless doing something deliberate for fun!
Old 01-21-13, 02:15 PM   #72
Skybird
Soaring

Aerosoft has a good representation of the old Kai Tak and the city, developed by FlyTampa which makes very good sceneries indeed, including the famous checkerboard approach. Whether they included the often strong crosswinds that blew planes way off the centerline, I do not know, I only saw the videos. When the module was released in its first incarnation (then still for the FS2004), the hardware at that time could hardly run it, due to the many buildings. A FSX version was released later. Unfortunately, with 30 Euros it is one of the more expensive sceneries around.

Older, from 2D cockpit of the PMDG 747, but shows the frontal view when approaching:
(move time slider to around 5:20)

And a better sight on the scenery:

Last edited by Skybird; 01-21-13 at 02:32 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 06:50 AM   #73
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hmm I dropped to 1300-1500 ft at about 10nm out that way I for sure intercepted the glideslope under it. And I was also at about 200kts Airspeed.

I have this question what is the difference between N1 and N2 in the big jets?
Old 01-22-13, 09:00 AM   #74
Skybird
Soaring

N1 refers to the rotation speed of the low pressure spool, that is the huge fan whose blades you see when looking into the engine from front.

N2 refers to the rotation speed of the compressor and smaller fans in the deeper, more rear-ended parts of the engine, which are sometimes called the high pressure spool.

In the sim, you check the setting of thrust via N1, it is most directly related to your throttle. N2 reacts with a delay mostly, you check it to decide when to open the fuel cutoff levers on the pedestal, else it is of little interest in a simulation as long as you do not do failures and emergency trainings.

On your altitude, the normal descent path on GS for final approach is 3°, that means that at 15 miles distance to airport the GS is around 5000 ft, and at 10 miles still above 3000. On the other hand you fly at 1400 ft with 10 miles distance to the airport, that is less than 500m altitude! When you finally catch the glide slope, the plane will go into a more or less gentle dive, but in an addon doing this in a harsh, not gentle manner, the plane may overshoot and manouver more hard in the vertical to catch up the glideslope - and this time from ABOVE, because it has over shot. And this with that close vicinity to the ground! Not good.

Final approach charts that have a map for every single possible approach an airport is offering, at the bottom have a profile for the vertical flightpath, the descent, where there are ranges and altitudes marked together with outer and middle markers (vertical NDB giving you a signal when you overfly them). Often there are even more altitude restrictions marked, due to noise abatement procedures or geographical terrain features and high-reaching landmarks. Also, if you use the radio, tower will give you an altitude at which to intercept the glidepath, usually it varies between 3000 and 4500 or so.

With your ten miles distance, you can safely fly and still intercept from below at altitudes of 3000!

Do a Google Picture Search for "Approach Charts Chicago".

Last edited by Skybird; 01-22-13 at 09:25 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 02:39 AM   #75
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So it was as I suspected. I captured the glideslope too close to the airport and too low and it took a nose dive to overcompensate. I figured it would turn into the glideslope just like it centers itself on the localizer. Truth be told I was probably only about 1nm from the edge of the runway when this happened too so yeah LEarn a little bit more every day!