SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-19, 01:05 PM   #1
Greystone
Sparky

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default The Big Screw-up

I just screwed up abysmally this morning. It came about as a result of my attempts to delete old saves in order to remove/switch/add mods in JSGME in home port. The next time the village idiot went to load a game, there were none there.

But, when I go to C:\Users\(my name)\My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames, they're all there (about 4 or 8 kb each).
I was about to uninstall the game & start the career over, but given that the saves are still on my hard drive, I thought I'd run it by you people on the chance there was a way to save the day. (He laughs bitterly)
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 02:20 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
I just screwed up abysmally this morning. It came about as a result of my attempts to delete old saves in order to remove/switch/add mods in JSGME in home port. The next time the village idiot went to load a game, there were none there.

But, when I go to C:\Users\(my name)\My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames, they're all there (about 4 or 8 kb each).
I was about to uninstall the game & start the career over, but given that the saves are still on my hard drive, I thought I'd run it by you people on the chance there was a way to save the day. (He laughs bitterly)
so, you're good here? aside from the mea culpas?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 02:34 PM   #3
Greystone
Sparky

um, no, not really; even though the saves are where they usually are at C:\Users\(my name)\My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames, they don't show up on the load screen within the game; it's completely blank.
Old 01-13-19, 02:39 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
um, no, not really; even though the saves are where they usually are at C:\Users\(my name)\My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames, they don't show up on the load screen within the game; it's completely blank.
ah. your new game install is pointing to a different save folder. you must have changed path names or something for the new install. the game folder is probably not SH4 any longer is it?

find the save games path for your new install and move the savegamefolders with your saved files to that folder. make sense?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 03:27 PM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
But if you have changed mods you should not be using old save anyway.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 05:12 PM   #6
Greystone
Sparky

Sorry, I'm not being as clear as I could be:

The original game I was playing up to now is still installed. I have not uninstalled it. I did not install a new game.

The trouble started as I was about to enter home port when I decided that I should delete the old save files because it was my intent to alter the mods in JSGME while I was in home port.

But I didn't do it by going to where the saves are stored under C:, instead, sitting there just outside home port, I deleted them by going to the load/save area within the game itself and deleted all of them there, one by one.

I then deactivated all the mods in JSGME, moving them to the left window of JSGME.

After I did that, I immediately "docked" at home port, figuring the game would automatically create an "Entering" home port save when I got there, giving me at least one save left so I could get back into the game. The game, of course, did just that.

Then, sitting there in the "office" gazing at the wall map, my primate brain shifted into stupid and I deleted the last save file I had; the "Enter" home port save. Then, completely unaware of the magnitude of what I'd done, I casually exited the game. Of course, the next time I tried to get in, there was no save left in the Save/Load screens to allow it..
It's a good thing I don't operate heavy machinery.

Then I checked the place under C: where the saves are usually located, and I discovered that they were still there, even though they don't show up within the game's Save/Load screens.

The whole point of this post is to put feelers out to see if there's a way to get the saves, that are still located under C:, back into the Save/Load screens of the game. (the only one I'm interested in is the one made by the game when I entered port; the one that showed no activated mods. (the rest I'd delete)

If you've made it this far, congratulations on your endurance..
Old 01-13-19, 07:49 PM   #7
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not being as clear as I could be:

The original game I was playing up to now is still installed. I have not uninstalled it. I did not install a new game.

The trouble started as I was about to enter home port when I decided that I should delete the old save files because it was my intent to alter the mods in JSGME while I was in home port.

But I didn't do it by going to where the saves are stored under C:, instead, sitting there just outside home port, I deleted them by going to the load/save area within the game itself and deleted all of them there, one by one.

I then deactivated all the mods in JSGME, moving them to the left window of JSGME.

After I did that, I immediately "docked" at home port, figuring the game would automatically create an "Entering" home port save when I got there, giving me at least one save left so I could get back into the game. The game, of course, did just that.

Then, sitting there in the "office" gazing at the wall map, my primate brain shifted into stupid and I deleted the last save file I had; the "Enter" home port save. Then, completely unaware of the magnitude of what I'd done, I casually exited the game. Of course, the next time I tried to get in, there was no save left in the Save/Load screens to allow it..
It's a good thing I don't operate heavy machinery.

Then I checked the place under C: where the saves are usually located, and I discovered that they were still there, even though they don't show up within the game's Save/Load screens.

The whole point of this post is to put feelers out to see if there's a way to get the saves, that are still located under C:, back into the Save/Load screens of the game. (the only one I'm interested in is the one made by the game when I entered port; the one that showed no activated mods. (the rest I'd delete)

If you've made it this far, congratulations on your endurance..

If both sets of files (ie SaveGames and RichSavedGame) are intact, you're okay...however, if the files in the SaveGames folder are missing, your Load screen will be empty. Hopefully, they will be in the trash bin...

If both sets of files are intact, the process of deleting games from the load/save area (how did you do that, BTW?), plus deactivating your mods has possibly altered/corrupted SH4, such that it will no longer recognise those SaveGames files.
Try starting (say) a training run, or single patrol, save it at some point, then see whether you can run that save file.

If not, you'll probably have to make a fresh install of SH4: the fresh copy should then recognise your saved games.

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 08:27 PM   #8
Greystone
Sparky

Thanks, NZSharkbait; I'll get back when I get around to implementing & applying your thoughts & insights (life's survival priorities keep getting in the way..) Bye the way, SaveGames is full, RichSavedGames is empty.

I delete the saves by going to the in-game save screen, highlighting the save and clicking on the Delete button at the bottom. I don't think the load screen gives the option to delete.

Last edited by Greystone; 01-13-19 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 10:17 PM   #9
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17

Hmmm.... just as an experiment, I cut and moved my RichSavedGame files to another location on my PC, without moving the folder, yet my saved games worked with no problems. I then loaded my last saved game and immediately saved it again; sure enough, a new file was generated in the RSG folder. Clearly, the missing RSG files are not the problem...

It's far more likely merc4ulfate is dead right: deactivating the mods in JSGME has upset the horse, which then tipped over the apple cart, whilst throwing a monkey wrench in the works and screwing things up. Try resetting all your JSGME mods back to the way they were...

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 11:40 PM   #10
Greystone
Sparky

NZShrkbait: Thanks again for your thoughts & observations; appreciate your time on thinking some of this stuff through..

However, it's all become a moot point; I did a fresh install & am starting (yet again) on a new career. Maybe I can get to '43 this time around.
(The new install showed no saves from the previous career, even though I instructed the uninstall program to retain the game's saves.)

KaleunMarco, and merc4ulfate, thanks again. Cheers..

Last edited by Greystone; 01-14-19 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-14-19, 07:35 AM   #11
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
NZShrkbait: Thanks again for your thoughts & observations; appreciate your time on thinking some of this stuff through..

However, it's all become a moot point; I did a fresh install & am starting (yet again) on a new career. Maybe I can get to '43 this time around.
(The new install showed no saves from the previous career, even though I instructed the uninstall program to retain the game's saves.)

KaleunMarco, and merc4ulfate, thanks again. Cheers..

Rockin Robbins "Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System" will help keep your installs from becoming unusable, give you an opportunity to check out the Supermods such as TMO, Ralles Mod Soup, Real Fleet Boat, FOTRSU, etc. while still keeping a STOCK Silent Hunter 4 "Wolves of the Pacific" install untouched. It saves a protected "Pristine Copy" so that if you do run into "Mod Soup" problems, you can fix them by using the Corruption Management System menu. (CMS). Highly recommended in this modern age of SH4! Yes! Re-install your newly installed SH4 before you get too far along in your new career. Installing CMS is WELL worth the effort.

Link here......
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...agement+System

Also, you can peek inside your SaveGames folders, the ones with 8 digit numbers such as "00000001" and using notepad or notepad++, open the individual *.upc files to see what's in them.

AFAIK, if you "Delete" a save game from the in-game "Save" menu, it deletes the associated files in both the RichSaveGames and SaveGames folders. You may have had some files in the SaveGames folder remaining if in the past you had deleted files in the RichSaveGames folder without deleting their associated SaveGames folders.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 01:00 PM   #12
Greystone
Sparky

yeegods I'm drowning. This newbie business is for the birds..
Thanks Front Runner. Yes, I read Rockin Robbins post at the end of my "Smooth sailing can be taken too far" thread. I feel like a patient with dementia trying to learn calculus.
None of that undermines my appreciation for the help extended by all of you though.
I think I'll sign off now and go to my safe space..
Old 01-14-19, 02:45 PM   #13
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Greystone, it can get messy, real quick.
I'll second the advice: start slow and work up.
I played stock for a few careers, then tried a couple of smaller mods.
then went to RSRD, that was nice!
Now using TMOwtw, and enjoying.

With each iteration, I started with a fresh (or pristine)
game and did one at a time, never trying to change anything during the game.
Might try one of the Fotrsu's next.

I try to go by the K*I*S*S principal, to avoid feeling like the final S.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 07:58 PM   #14
Greystone
Sparky

Yes, mikesn9, I'm with you on the K*I*S*S principal. You went through several careers on stock? Amazing.. I've been playing SH3 for over 10 years and I haven't finished a career yet. Usually, it's 'cause I got bored wandering around without getting any action for days on end, aside from endlessly crash diving to avoid air attack after the Allies got their act together. Here in SH4, the targets seem to be more plentiful. Thanks for chiming in..
Old 01-15-19, 07:31 AM   #15
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Yes, mikesn9, I'm with you on the K*I*S*S principal. You went through several careers on stock? Amazing.. I've been playing SH3 for over 10 years and I haven't finished a career yet. Usually, it's 'cause I got bored wandering around without getting any action for days on end, aside from endlessly crash diving to avoid air attack after the Allies got their act together. Here in SH4, the targets seem to be more plentiful. Thanks for chiming in..
Well. I AM retired and had a couple of hours everyday to wander aimlessly while sipping my scotch.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote