SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-18, 05:01 PM   #1
Greystone
Sparky

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default Just a few questions..

1) Currently in a Tambor & it's Feb., '42. Can I expect to have access to surface radar anytime soon? On a similar note, in SH3 using one's radar invites possible detection by Brits or Americans. I've heard this isn't as risky in SH4; something about the Japanese not all that into installing their own radar detection or, for that matter, radar itself until the late war...

2) Seems I've a vague memory of others having troubles installing a deck gun with bow emplacement; ring a bell with anyone?

3) In SH3, you always knew how much deck gun and AA gun ammo you had available.. no such info appears available in SH4. Is it unlimited or do you just run out without warning?

4) Tambor's got an alleged 11,000 mile (nautical mile?) range. Impressive, but the size of the Pacific's impressive also. In SH3 there's a best speed for optimal range. Is there one for SH4?

5) My crew's been shouting and screaming for the past 3 thousand miles. Any way to shut them up?
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 06:23 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Working backwards here:
If you bring along candy canes and whiskey, you can usually keep the crew quiet - for a time anyway. Response to emergency situations may suffer, of course ...

Most of the other questions you ask would be answered based upon whether you are playing with a mod or not. Some mods have a button or hot key for you to press to ask for the "distance to empty". I do not remember if stock does though. The best speed again is mod dependent, but is generally Ahead 2/3 to Ahead Standard, so between 10-15 knots. Stock (if I remember correctly) is Ahead Standard.

Ammo for your gun is generally set, unless you use a mod for greater amounts. Generally speaking, the only way to see how much you have, and of what type, is to be at the gun station itself.

Some of the mods are notorious for problems with moving the gun. Sometimes you have no troubles. Other times, it's nothing but. Some of the issue depends upon the player, after moving the gun, to properly crew the position before leaving on patrol. However, sometimes, you do not get positions for a crew to occupy the gun, in which case, you ~know~ it's going to be messed up. I do not remember if Stock even allows you to move the gun... I gotta play Stock again sometime.

In SH4, when you get equipment varies, by chance and by location. If you are based at Pearl Harbor, you get things sooner. If you're at Fremantle, not so much. So you might get it next week (game time), or you might get it for Christmas... but "yes indeedy", the enemy can follow you, and rather closely too, if you use constant radar, though it's not put on as strongly in Stock as it is in a few of the mods. The later in the war, the better the Japanese Huff-Duff becomes, and the quicker they'll find you. Remember though, you've got radar, and you can see them coming too... give them a little surprise while you're at it...

Basically speaking, it's all down to the mods (if any) that you use.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 08:59 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
1) Currently in a Tambor & it's Feb., '42. Can I expect to have access to surface radar anytime soon? On a similar note, in SH3 using one's radar invites possible detection by Brits or Americans. I've heard this isn't as risky in SH4; something about the Japanese not all that into installing their own radar detection or, for that matter, radar itself until the late war...

the IJN was not as keen on radar and radar detection as the Allies. they got better in 1944 and 1945. you can always turn your radar off once you've detected your enemy. that is what i do.

Quote:
2) Seems I've a vague memory of others having troubles installing a deck gun with bow emplacement; ring a bell with anyone?

yes, if you start your career with a stern gun and accept an upgrade to a bow gun, your crew stations for the gun will disappear. the only official work-around is to select a boat with a bow gun and stick with it for your whole career.
if that does not fit your plans, you can fix the crew stations thing but you will need notepad/edit skills in order to modify the save file.
Quote:
3) In SH3, you always knew how much deck gun and AA gun ammo you had available.. no such info appears available in SH4. Is it unlimited or do you just run out without warning?
you have to go to the gun station to see the available ammo load. for boats/guns with more than one ammo available, you will need to click on each of the shells to see the remaining ammo.

Quote:
4) Tambor's got an alleged 11,000 mile (nautical mile?) range. Impressive, but the size of the Pacific's impressive also. In SH3 there's a best speed for optimal range. Is there one for SH4?
there is no comparable feature for this in SH4. having said that, you have a fuel status graphic on the HUD. and there are a couple of commands that are available however you will need to modify the Command.cfg file to use them. you will need some notepad/edit skills or use jimimadrid's keymapper tool in the downloads area.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4715
as far as best speed is concerned, standard speed or a knot or two less usually works the best. depends on the boat.

Quote:
5) My crew's been shouting and screaming for the past 3 thousand miles. Any way to shut them up?
there is a fix for that.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2755

good luck. and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 01-01-19 at 05:27 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-18, 06:24 PM   #4
Greystone
Sparky

Thanks propbeanie & mark bonamer..
I came so close to sticking the gun up front between patrols; I was dragging the bow gun option toward the slot & a wisp of memory said wait, I'd better ask around.. hopefully there's a sub upgrade down the line that comes with a bow gun.
Found & implemented the mod to calm the crew down too. Thanks..
Old 12-23-18, 01:25 AM   #5
Greystone
Sparky

In SH3, I've no problem manually operating the hydrophone. In SH4. when I go to the Sonar (?) station, there's the hydrophone equipment to the upper right. I'm having trouble figuring out how to operate it manually so I can listen myself to what's going on out there; left clicking on or around the equipment doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Thanks..
Old 12-23-18, 07:19 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The mouse wheel will spin the head, but some of the boats are broken, so then you need CapnScurvy's Sonar Bearing Fix. btw, There are a couple of jpeg files in the main folder that are pictures of keyboard shortcuts. I'm not near a pc, and can't remember their names, but "Front" and "Back" are in their names...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-18, 01:30 PM   #7
Greystone
Sparky

You people keep putting a smile on my face; thanks propbeanie!
Old 01-01-19, 05:21 PM   #8
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Tambor's got an alleged 11,000 mile (nautical mile?) range. Impressive, but the size of the Pacific's impressive also. In SH3 there's a best speed for optimal range. Is there one for SH4?
Generally I have found that in stock and most MODS about 10-11 knots seems to get the best mileage

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote