Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-15-10, 01:44 AM   #61
Snake Man
Sailor man

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

Sorry Mud I can't say whats causing constant CTD in your system with FF5.3 as I have not tested it myself.

Last time when I was testing my theaters, it was on RedViper (I think that's sort of FF4 then), it worked fine but sometimes... sometimes I got CTD, but it was more of random thing.
Snake Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 12:05 PM   #62
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

Hehe no prob Snake,I gave it a try again.
I changed a few settings and now running FF5.3 in 1920x1080 and AA settings off and done 2 missions in my campaign without a ctd.
Dunno if it's stable but could at last do two missions.
I've ordered Falcon 4.0 Allied Force today and should have it in 2/3 days, all I can hope that one is running without problems

cheers

Mud
Old 02-17-10, 10:17 PM   #63
gian36
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum. I have played falcon since it first came on 98, where there was no patches and improvements. Im impressed on how much the sim have improved and the dedication of F4 fans. I thing I liked back then was the real life videos the game had in the form of news reports. lt gave the game a nice realistic touch. Another thing I liked was the scramble missions. I have installed OF4.7, it runs pretty well but the videos wont show complete, what i mean is that the video starts playing then it cancels itself. I know its a minor thing, but I wanted to know if there is a fix to that. Other thing i wanted to know is that if there are still scramble mission, I know some past patches had problems with that, so I want to know if there are any scramble mission on OF4.7. thanks in advance
gian36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 05:03 AM   #64
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

yes there's a fix to the video make sure you have the required codecs. But try to run the game in either windows 98 or XP mode first then if it still not showing then download the codecs try K-lite codecs.
Old 02-19-10, 02:39 PM   #65
SparrowHawk
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Unfortunately OF doesn't work on Vista due to the transparency problem (I had to swipe my friend's old F4 disk to find that out), so I'll have to stick with FF5

Now then, anybody know where to start? I rarely have to ask that, but it's been years since I played a modern combat sim...

As a rookie myself, I'd like to share with you some thoughts that may be of interest. I also have installed FF5, after having done various dance routines with my old Falcon4.0.

It may be hard at first but I would recommend starting with the highest possible reality & difficulty settings (Veteran, if not Ace).

This will allow you to get a true appreciation of the sim as a whole- its complexity and depth.

Try out as many of the TEs as possible, and don't feel that you have to get it right first time. That kind of expectation may limit the fun-in-learning process.

May be then try a few dogfight scenarios and the Instant Action is always good for a warm-up.

Lastly, as I am kinda hoping for myself, is find a wingman buddy who would not mind flying together online doing various TEs or Formation Flying.

Hope these help.

Check Six

SH
SparrowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 03:16 PM   #66
Mud
Captain

Well I can take off and land and thats about it I guess.
I need some serious training in dogfighting 'cos somehow my missiles won't even launch or it's a complete miss lol.
Working on it SH

Mud
Old 02-19-10, 03:44 PM   #67
SparrowHawk
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
Well I can take off and land and thats about it I guess.
I need some serious training in dogfighting 'cos somehow my missiles won't even launch or it's a complete miss lol.
Working on it SH

Mud

Hey, Mud!

You know, I am having a hard time getting used to the HiFi avionics and Radar modes. I have to spend more time reading than flying ...that sucks!

I flew a couple of missions with F14 tomcat against Mig 25 ...it riped me apart before I could change Radar mode ....lol

Also getting used to the pad lock..... again. This is the firt time I'm doing sorties since 2001/2002 in Falcon4.

By the way did you enjoy Janes' F18? I got into it so much and really liked the flight model and training missions.

Ah well.

But thanks for your encouraging thoughts!

Happy flying

SH
Old 02-19-10, 04:19 PM   #68
Mud
Captain

No mate I never had Jane's F18 but I do have Jane's F15, I still regret I never bought F18.

And yep radar and padlock are the toughests to master in Falcon, but hey we're getting there ...... sometime

Mud
Old 02-19-10, 04:45 PM   #69
SparrowHawk
Watch

Quote:
No mate I never had Jane's F18 but I do have Jane's F15, I still regret I never bought F18.

And yep radar and padlock are the toughests to master in Falcon, but hey we're getting there ...... sometime

Mud
Oh, well! There's always Ebay!.... I wish there was some store that keeps copies of these oldies , like Falcon4 (I'm after the original manual... mine's gone awol) and such like.

I got Jane's F15, and all the USAF series, including IAF. At one stage or another I managed to get hold of whatever Flight Sim was going....

I'm gonna try carrying just Aim120's and get used to these (Fire and Forget). Pheonix are awsome too... just fire them and they go home for the kill... eventually lol.

Cheers mate!
Old 03-02-10, 06:38 AM   #70
SparrowHawk
Watch

Quote:
I might as well give up on this, I was confident enough to start a campaign but I get 1 ctd after the other and I'm running WinXP.
I was looking forward to sink my teeth in this but I've done all the tips and tricks I could find but nothing is helping.

Mud
Hello Mud,

I'm no expert, but am willing to share any info / tips I may have. I've had ALL Falcon4 version run on my test rigs (AMD & Intel) they are single core, with both nVidia & Radeon. What are your sepcs? Do keep in mind that the latest nVidia drivers seem to cause probs.

Got FF5.3 and OP 4.7, running smoothly at last - without any other addons!

Blue Skies and Clear Six

SH
Old 03-04-10, 12:05 AM   #71
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

Hi guys, just popped over from the SH3 forum as I play Falcon extensively, have done for many years. For those of you trying to learn the sim, you'll learn a hell of a lot faster flying online with human wingmen where your questions are answered as you put them into practice rather than having to trawl through manuals and online tutorials.

If you own Falcon 4 Allied Force, and have completed most of the training missions in the game but would like to go deeper into what she can do, I'd highly recommend Multivipers. It's THE best place for online flying in AF with lots of helpful people to fly with and have some fun. There's a 24/7 campaign running and we use Teamspeak 3 for our voice comms in flight. The forums are full of a wealth of knowledge from starting her up to performing a multi ship tactical airbase strike. Let me emphasize though that Multivipers is NOT a wing, or squadron, it was set up so people could come and fly together at their leisure, without having to commit to minimum flights or times and dates.

You are required to be registered on the forums and will need registering on TS3 before you can fly and you need to be over 17 years of age. As well as Falcon, we also have guys playing DCS Blackshark, Lock-On: FC, Arma 2, and IL2 '46.

I'm actually a server admin there and will happily make myself available to get you registered and flying, I can even offer one on one training if you feel you need it. We regularly have upwards of 8 people in a single package flying OCA strikes against OPFOR airbases and there really is nothing like it when everyone works together to get the job done.

If you're interested in joining, you can PM me here to arrange a time we can both be available to get you processed or message me at the MV's forums. I go by the name of Nomadic. Here's a link to the forums:

www.multiviper.com

Hope to see you there!!

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 01:11 AM   #72
RAM22
Swabbie

First Post here. Hello everyone. I was surfing the web for dev info on Falcon and came across this thread.

Im on the FF Dev Team and just wanted to let you know, for those that are interested, that FF5.5 will be releasing soon.

It will be a OCI weighing in at about 825-850MB's. The Cockpits will have its own Installer. FF4 and FF5 had them combined for a d/l at approx. 1.2GB's. We decided to split them up for a quicker d/l if ppl are not interested in the pits or just want to get FF5.5 first and d/l the pit installer at their convienence. There are now in excess of 100 pits.

Its not the area I Dev, so I cant answer specific questions about 3D pits, I have some knowlege but it is limited. Of course the 2D cockpits are all fully clickable.

There is still only the Korean Theatre.

The Standard Korean Campaign has been totally 100% overhauled.

Because Im totally sure one of the first questions will be about stability, I'll go ahead and touch upon that. We believe we now have the most stable version of FF to date, I have been flying all the different test incarnations for the past 8 months and the difference btwn what I was flying in Aug09 and what I have flown the last wk is worlds apart. The freeze issue is minimal. I havent seen one in quite some time. There are still some stutter issues. Mainly due to the DX7 engine limitations with the modern systems we all are running Falcon on. Annoying stutters are pretty much confined to High Air Activity(Hint) and of course the FLOT.

As usual, FF5.5 is most stable on XP32. It will tolerate Vista but does not prefer W7. Although some have got it to work on W7. GPU's are a toss up, if you use nVidia, there is still the Munitions/TacRef corruption. Its a driver issue which we can do nothing about. Of course there are workarounds, like rolling back to the 169.xx drivers. FF5.5 will not run great on low end systems.

I'll bookmark this site and visit daily if there are any questions. I am most involved in the areas of Campaign Development and Database Management/Development, with my hands pretty much in any area I can involve myself with.

Take Care,

RAM22

Last edited by RAM22; 03-15-10 at 02:05 AM.
RAM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 02:18 AM   #73
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Cool, another opportunity for me to try and get into FF. I currently run 185-series drivers on my XP system, so we'll see how well it takes to the new FF. I really hope it does, seeing how my new machine is now Win 7. Falcon and those stability issues with FF is still the #1 reason why my HOTAS is hooked up to my old PC.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 04:26 PM   #74
Mud
Captain

Thanks for the heads up RAM22 and welcome aboard

Playing Falcon AF sometimes but FF is more real deal and looking far more better and I really hoped I could get it to work on my rig but it CTD´s to much and ruins the fun.

Can´t wait to try 5.5 and really looking forward to this.

Cheers

Mud
Old 03-19-10, 01:59 PM   #75
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

Good to see you here RAM22, I remember you from Frugals, such a shame that site went down, although I know the reasons why. I hope Mark gets the site back up soon, I really miss it.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote