Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-27-08, 09:20 PM   #16
NiclDoe
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
Well thanks for that Skybird, but whats a HOTAS?

I think FSX is just plain different to IL2 so all my practicing in FSX for flight basics... the so called realistic simulator were for nought.
Dont worry about it just fly normally and fly with us we need a sexy ledy to fly with us
Old 01-28-08, 11:33 AM   #17
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Dont worry about it just fly normally and fly with us we need a sexy ledy to fly with us
settle down there man-cub...Its your aircraft thats suppose to take you to great heights not your hormones.

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 12:24 PM   #18
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos
Quote:
settle down there man-cub...Its your aircraft thats suppose to take you to great heights not your hormones.
:rotfl:
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 12:42 PM   #19
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Ok this I don't get at all... I can take off and land a jumbo jet in a high winds in FSX... yet in IL2 I can't even get the sucker to lift off even on nice days, heaven only knows what I would do in mid air.

Another thing that winds me up a treat about IL2 is that you can't actually click stuff in the cockpit to operate things... so you really do have to memorise the keyboard and that aint an easy task there are sooo many buttons... honest to god, how do you play this thing?

Its like trying to dig a ditch with a teaspoon!!

I know I said I was going to learn but this is like trying to learn photoshop a learning curve like a hook!

End transmission.
I just got IL2 two days ago and I'm as lost as you, probably more. I forgeting you can't click anything and I really miss my 2D panel. I will admit I have had a ball riding around in a B-25 bomber, switching to different positions in the plane, I really like being in the top gun turrett if there are some bad guys close enough and playing bombadier. Maybe we'll figure it out.:hmm:
Old 01-28-08, 03:55 PM   #20
NiclDoe
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 01-29-08, 02:03 AM   #21
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
No, its embarassing to suck at something in front of people. At least I can suck in private and not feel that bad.

I don't have a twisty joystick, but I actually crashed the plane while on the ground! I didn't know it was possible to crash a plane and be on the ground.
I took to the air (finally) with the lads on the weekend. It took me 6 wrecks to get the hang of taking off all of which were in front of them. They may have laughed but I couldn't hear it on TS and once I got airborne I didn't need to worry about landing, I either crashed the plane myself from stalls or spins or got shot down. I'm not concerned I'll be back when I can match time zones and have another crack and hopefully will be better next time. In the meantime I'll practise when I have time and keep trying.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 05:24 AM   #22
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak
Quote:
No, its embarassing to suck at something in front of people. At least I can suck in private and not feel that bad.

I don't have a twisty joystick, but I actually crashed the plane while on the ground! I didn't know it was possible to crash a plane and be on the ground.
I took to the air (finally) with the lads on the weekend. It took me 6 wrecks to get the hang of taking off all of which were in front of them. They may have laughed but I couldn't hear it on TS...
Aye, we all had the same problems when we started. IL2 has one of the most complex flight models you get in flightsims. Once you get hang of it, all other flightsims feel arcadish, trust me.

And here's the basics of recovering from a stall. There's two main things ppl use, either ease up on the throttle and give rudder to opposite side of the spin and then there's the way of putting your throttle to the max and giving rudder to the opposite direction of the spin, this however varies between the planes, some might need an rudder to the direction of the stall. You can see which is the right way by looking at your speed dial, when the speed is rising, that's the way to use rudder on. The latter method is what I use, obviously because stalling means the plane doesnt have the speed to maintain itself in the air anymore.

Here's an example of a stall and what I do to get out of it. My plane stalls and starts to spin to the left. I throttle up to the max, push my stick forward and to the top-left corner and apply full rudder to the right. Depending of the speed, your plain should wobble abit after a few seconds and go into a straight dive. This is the part where most rookies make the mistake by pulling the stick too hard to level up and instead of surviving, they go to another stall, which will be worse than the first one because of the low speed. No matter how close to the ground you are DO NOT pull the stick hard!! If you dont have the altitude to pull up gently, then you die, but by pulling the stick too hard you lose the changes to recover you had in the first place.

Last edited by Dowly; 01-29-08 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 05:37 AM   #23
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Quote:

I took to the air (finally) with the lads on the weekend. It took me 6 wrecks to get the hang of taking off all of which were in front of them. They may have laughed but I couldn't hear it on TS...
Aye, we all had the same problems when we started. IL2 has one of the most complex flight models you get in flightsims. Once you get hang of it, all other flightsims feel arcadish, trust me.
Its still a bit tricky sometimes, especially when the damage model kicks in.
try to land with a couple of holes here an there, too slow and you roll over and crash

HunterICX
Old 01-29-08, 06:02 AM   #24
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Quote:

Its still a bit tricky sometimes, especially when the damage model kicks in.
try to land with a couple of holes here an there, too slow and you roll over and crash

HunterICX
True mate. When your wing gets holed, then the dance with the death begins.
Old 01-29-08, 08:30 AM   #25
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

@ Tarjak you were no better or worse than me when I first took to the game,'''some would say I'm getting no better''' just get yourself in single missions and a bit of practise and you''ll be up there slugging it out. Come to think of it a free for all dogfight might not have been the ideal scenario for you at the weekend,the co-op mission might have been better suited.That way everyone might have had a bit time to explain a few basics while we were all sitting on the runway for take-off

Old 01-29-08, 09:10 AM   #26
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
@ Tarjak you were no better or worse than me when I first took to the game,'''some would say I'm getting no better''' just get yourself in single missions and a bit of practise and you''ll be up there slugging it out. Come to think of it a free for all dogfight might not have been the ideal scenario for you at the weekend,the co-op mission might have been better suited.That way everyone might have had a bit time to explain a few basics while we were all sitting on the runway for take-off
The thing was we didnt took the time to explain Tarjak stuff

a Co-op would be even worse
as everytime someone crashes I need to restart the whole map.
with a Dogfight server you just hit Refly and try again.

so the next time Tarjak or Penny are up for a flight we are going to act as flying instructors.

HunterICX
Old 01-29-08, 09:31 AM   #27
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Sounds like a good idea
will you teach me as well :p

Old 01-29-08, 09:47 AM   #28
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea
Nah, you know everything you need to know already. The position of the cord in parachute. :rotfl:
Old 01-29-08, 10:34 AM   #29
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Well here is a real embarassing thing. I was taking off fine in the B-25 but I cranked up the realism and started a fighter campaign and could'nt get off the ground. I kept winding up to the left and up on my nose.

I was at the point that I was ready to fling the joystick out the window until I ran thru the controller assignments. Damn. Somehow I had the axis reversed

Well I'm getting off the ground now but the flight leader stays on my butt constantly and I'm pretty much getting smoked.
Old 01-29-08, 03:40 PM   #30
NiclDoe
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea
me 3