SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-08, 12:26 AM   #121
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Can't even get passed entering the code key. I get an error message which I've saved as a text document. The game installs without a hitch, but can't get it to load.

System specs new rig,

Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad @ 3.00 Ghz
nforce 780i motherboard sli
2 Geforce Gys 8800's 512 each
Corsair ram 4 sticks 1 Gb each
Realtek onboard sound 5.1
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
Saitek Evo 3D joystick
Thrustmaster gamepad (for the kids)
Toshiba CD RW / DVD R (just in case there's an issue with the dvd write and some game disks)
Toshiba CD / DVD RW
Logitech 70 watt 5.1 speaker system
Hanns-G 28 inch wide screen monitor
Windows Vista x64 bit
Toughpower 1000 watt power supply

Like I said, the game installs fine, and meets or surpasses the system requirements, but when I click on the start game button, I get an error, and a big long @$$ed report about the system. This is the window where you enter the game disk key.

Funny thing is, for a giggle, I loaded up the old EAW which refused to run under XP, and "it" works beautifully, without using compatability mode. I could probably get Red Baron 3D to run if I tried.

---------------------

Last edited by Hylander_1314; 03-08-08 at 02:56 AM.
Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 02:39 PM   #122
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2

Hey people

I don't know if some of you remember me. I posted several times about a Vista problem - a CTD after the loading bar got full. Finally it is resolved. As certain people tought, I believe it has loads to do with fine codecs for your vista, the crashing occuring because of SH3 inability to load proper codecs for the main menu video.

(here are my original threads detailing my issues:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128580
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129622)

If anyone with the exact same symptoms could give it a try and tell me if my codec swapping was indeed related to it...?

The codecs I am using are from the Vista Codecs Package
http://www.infos-du-net.com/telechar...0301-7647.html

Then, if indeed this is the answer for this kind of problem, I'd really like to see it put on the first page, so that people like me will come upon it quickly with no need for long lurking ^^

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for everyone here who helped me

AJ

Last edited by Amiral Crapaud; 03-22-08 at 02:53 PM.
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 05:39 PM   #123
vonpritz
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Im trying to install this but it is saying I have no Starforce client!
vonpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 10:51 AM   #124
P-B
Watch

Downloads: 22

I am running Vista 64bit and thanks to a slight accident which resulted in my original disc snapping i went out and bought a new copy which instals and runs absolutely fine (always run as administrator). Starforce protection has been removed and, another thing i noticed was that the game runs without the disk in the Drive! The copy i now have is distributed by FOCUS multimedia. I hope this info is of use...
P-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 02:06 AM   #125
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain-James
Hey people

I don't know if some of you remember me. I posted several times about a Vista problem - a CTD after the loading bar got full. Finally it is resolved. As certain people tought, I believe it has loads to do with fine codecs for your vista, the crashing occuring because of SH3 inability to load proper codecs for the main menu video.

If anyone with the exact same symptoms could give it a try and tell me if my codec swapping was indeed related to it...?

Then, if indeed this is the answer for this kind of problem, I'd really like to see it put on the first page, so that people like me will come upon it quickly with no need for long lurking ^^

AJ
Now that you mention that it makes sense. As I use my Vista x64 for movie editing and graphics I've got every single codec imaginable; completely makes sense since at install SHIII tries to install some video codecs (that I doubt are compatible) since drivers need to be written specifically for x64 machines.

I agree that it appears you've found a solution that should help a large majority of the users that have problems with this OS. And of course there is using the direct download version which installs without a hitch as well.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 01:49 PM   #126
Brer Rabbit
Briar Patch Runner

Downloads: 89
Default UBI Down load

I recently bought a new laptop HP 9000 series w/ Intel core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.1 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia GE Force 8600M GS w/ 512MB dedicated RAM. I nstalled my older version of SH 4 and patched it. It installed SF and required the disk to be in the drive for some reason, but it ran well. Next I followed P-B's advice and went to UBI and purchased a downloadable version of SH3 for $20. Upon installing it it asked that the older version of SF be uninstalled, which I did and resumed the install process. It did not reinstall SF. Both SH3&4 run well, and do not require the disk in th edrive to run. I have not yet modded either, as I'll rest on this success first, and then gradually add to mods.
I am currently in Jan 41 in stock SH3 on my desk top and want to complete that career before adding any mods or starting a new career.

The $20 download has so far proven a good investment, and I am considering removing my SH4 and doing the same for it, but that will wait until a get q few missions under my belt, as I am currently fully into SH3.
Brer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 07:38 PM   #127
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain-James
Hey people

AJ
Now that you mention that it makes sense. As I use my Vista x64 for movie editing and graphics I've got every single codec imaginable; completely makes sense since at install SHIII tries to install some video codecs (that I doubt are compatible) since drivers need to be written specifically for x64 machines.

I agree that it appears you've found a solution that should help a large majority of the users that have problems with this OS. And of course there is using the direct download version which installs without a hitch as well.
Well I am using a Vista 32, so I was among the "few" people who had issues with it, while it appeared to run fine on everyone's else machine. Now, if this can work for Vista 64 owners too, I will be glad, but from what I remember, we do not have the same symptoms (CTD after the intro and the loading bar), do we?
Can someone may describe again what kind of problem happens with Vista 64 owners? (sorry for the inconvenience...)
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 11:35 AM   #128
u-960
Watch

Downloads: 27
Default patch fix

dean you need to run it as an administer in vista. hope it helps
u-960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 04:33 PM   #129
Petsman
Gunner

1. I installed SH3.(outside of Program Files as gwx manual suggests).
2. Patched to 1.4b (run as adminstrator).
3. Updated starforce successfully.
4.rebooted pc.
5. tried to run the game before installing gwx2.1 and I get an error "Can not initialise 3D Engine".

Any ideas?

I got Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1.

My gear:
Ati 1800xt 512ram
2gb ram ddr
amd athlon x2 4200+
Petsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 12:22 PM   #130
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66

"Can not initialise 3D Engine"
I´m no expert at this, but that has something to do with your graphics card. What resolution do you use? Refresh rate? Drivers?
Have a look here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=78827.
It has nothing to do with SF...
Old 04-22-08, 05:32 PM   #131
Petsman
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzs von swe
"Can not initialise 3D Engine"
I´m no expert at this, but that has something to do with your graphics card. What resolution do you use? Refresh rate? Drivers?
Have a look here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=78827.
It has nothing to do with SF...
thanks , i will check.

1280*1204@60, Catalyst 8.3
Petsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 05:40 PM   #132
submarine1981
Swabbie

Downloads: 29

Hello to everyone. I have confused...
I have vista ultimate x64. I install the SH3 and the patch 1.4, and as soon as i run it tolds me that this application runs on win95,xp. ME ,server 2003. my English is poor so.... does anyone run sh3 in vista x64? if yes what i must do to run it on my system(vistax64) ?
I love this game and i want to play it in multiplayer.
Thanks for hear me
submarine1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 02:19 AM   #133
submarine1981
Swabbie

Downloads: 29

anyone here to answer?
submarine1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 09:14 AM   #134
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

I believe I have mentioned this before... (perhaps not on this thread though)

The simplest way to make SH3 work on Vista64 is to just buy the $20 direct-2-drive version and save yourself all the Starforce related headache. Oh almost forgot... if you get the D2D version it comes pre-patched to 1.4 already! Kinda nice.

Apparently, there's also a no-cd gadget floating about that would essentially allow you to do the same thing, but I think that may qualify as some sort of pirate hack or something...

Not only do I have it working on Vista64 with GWX, but I also have the hi-res tweek that allows me to run it in 1680x1050 (screen distorts, but still looks better than lo-res).
Old 05-04-08, 04:20 PM   #135
kweigel
Swabbie

Default I DID IT!

I was able to get SHIII to run on my Dell Laptop which has Vista Home Premium. (By the way, I HATE Vista, and I would take it off and install XP if I could....)

Anyway, here is what worked for me.

1. Installed SHIII.

2. Downloaded and install Patch 1.4

3. SHIII would not run - Administer error and bad driver notification (what else is new...)

So I removed the StarForce device drivers. Select the System icon in your Windows Control Panel. Click the Device Manager button in the hardware tab and then select "Show Hidden Devices" from the View menu. Now check the Non-Plug and Play Drivers device tree, and you should find a few StarForce entries. Uninstall
these and reboot your PC.

I rebooted and right clicked on the SH3 icon and clicked on "run as administrator."

IT WORKED! It is runningflawlessly!

I just may pony up the $20.00 to download the DD version - I understand that has no SF drivers or SF garbage. Might be worth it, and I would never have to use the DVD again.......if someone has done this, and it works, let me know please. Also, does UBI give you only one download, or do they give you 2-3 in case your HD crashes or you change 'puters?

Thanks in advance..........

Last edited by kweigel; 05-04-08 at 06:54 PM.
kweigel is offline   Reply With Quote