SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-18, 06:31 PM   #1
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1
Default WW2 Surface ship campaign

I note that there's another 3D Sub simulation released.
Wouldn't it be great if in fact a WW2 surface ship campaign simulation was released commanding battleships, destroyers etc.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 02:32 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

There was one about 18 years ago called Destroyer Command. You could actually play it with Silent Hunter 2 players with one commanding the destroyer and the other the submarine. Played quite a few LAN games of that while underway.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 08:10 PM   #3
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
There was one about 18 years ago called Destroyer Command. You could actually play it with Silent Hunter 2 players with one commanding the destroyer and the other the submarine. Played quite a few LAN games of that while underway.
Ah yes, I remembered that and played it. Was awesome back in those days. A pity that it never came into being later down the track. I believe they were going to produce Destroyer Command II but never happened.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Old 11-25-18, 09:14 PM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Would've been great I think, but lack of interest and Ubi taking over development of the series ended the possibility.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 10:02 PM   #5
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Would've been great I think, but lack of interest and Ubi taking over development of the series ended the possibility.
Yes, such a shame.

Old 12-19-18, 02:17 PM   #6
Archer7seven
Gunner

Downloads: 333
Uploads: 0

A nice option for SHIV UB missions would have been the option to command a German commerce raider. Not a warship, but rather the Thor or Penguin, or something like that.
Old 12-31-18, 02:54 PM   #7
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69

Destroyer Command was fantastic for those who got into it.

I was a teen and had lots of free time. I made a ton of mods for that game to improve realism and playability. A few of us had figured out how to get around the depth charge reload timing limitations, and I made a number of mods allowing people to command not only destroyers but also every other ship class included in the game. I went into a multiplayer game as the Yamato once and wrecked everyone in a few minutes with those big guns. I had also modded all of the sounds to be hyper realistic. I don't think I ever uploaded most of my mods. That's a regret looking back at it, had I uploaded those that franchise may have survived. They really improved the experience. I created a hedgehog system by hacking the depthcharge parameters. Really should have uploaded that, it would have completely changed the game.

I remember when a bunch of different people figured out how to accurately gauge a sub's depth by reconstructing WW2 depthfinding techniques using the active sonar and triangulation. The online sub groups had a hissy fit as soon as we figured out how to do it - they were NOT happy as all of the skilled surface captains could easily sink them now. I remember they made rules such as Destroyers may not ram submarines, but submarines may fire one torpedo at a charging destroyer per pass.. Bleh.

I would really love for another surface warfare game to come out. DC was a really unique, fun game when the flaws were ironed out with mods. The multiplayer could be finicky but once everyone had a stable connection and had the time compression settings right, it was so, so fun. I have very fond memories of a certain mediterannean mission, playing with another destroyer captain vs two u-boats at night. I had just upgraded my graphics card and was in awe of the glistening water and the moonlight reflecting off the ripples.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 03:01 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I've still got SH1 & Destroyer Command, along with Fighting Steel on an old computer in the corner. I have no clue where my SH2 disk is though... I have often thought about trying to "cop" the DC interface somehow... If you still have your DC mods, text Onkel Neal and see if they want to upload them here to SubSim for distribution to the Community...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 05:56 PM   #9
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69

The mods are long gone but the knowledge is still up there in my dome and I could probably do them again in a lot less time these days. I don't think anyone out there is still playing DC though unfortunately
For the most part they were just text file edits with a couple of interface hacks. Only a few of them required hex editing.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 06:17 PM   #10
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Since you are damn wrong @Wildcat.
After UBI had taken over the unfinished games SH2 and DC from SSI, they simply messed it up in their capital madness.
This goes through the entire series SH3-Sh4-SH5.
SH2 and DC is certainly easy to program at first glance, in fact it is the evil fairytale forest of the Grimm brothers and not at all easy to correct.
If you want to do something right, then damn right really.

Old 12-31-18, 08:01 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... and as I said, I've got them on a computer in the corner of the basement, but it is still plugged in, and I do still play them. If I had my C-64 still hooked up, I'd probably still play Up Periscope!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 09:07 PM   #12
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... and as I said, I've got them on a computer in the corner of the basement, but it is still plugged in, and I do still play them. If I had my C-64 still hooked up, I'd probably still play Up Periscope!...
i've seen that movie!
james garner, edmund o'brien, and The Skipper as the oldest ensign in the USN!
one of worst sub screenplays, ever.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 04:06 PM   #13
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

You realize we should all volunteer to run under water drones for the military LOL

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote