SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-11, 10:14 PM   #1276
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
Thanks, appreciate it.

Perhaps try a cleanup:
  1. Uninstall S3D
  2. Check install path of S3D if it actually is completely removed. If not, do manually. (default: C:\Program Files (x86)\skwas for 64-bit or C:\Program Files\skwas for 32-bit)
  3. Remove all subfolders under %localappdata%\skwas (this is where settings are stored)
  4. Reinstall S3D
Did it previously work on this system? Are you running the last version of S3D (0.9.9)?

Are you running some tools that modify/monitor/control DirectX like Riva tuner, a 3D screen grabber, etc. (try turning off if you do).

Some tools that monitor and hook DirectX (f.ex. to render an overlay) have been reported to cause issues.

On the flip side, some of these tools could actually maybe solve it, by forcing DirectX to 'not' use anisotrophic and/or antialiasing (which S3D does use if your GPU supports it).

Just some idea's...
Sorry, kicked off the internet for a few days... Will try now thanks for the suggestions!

edit: Just tried the full uninstall/reinstall, no dice... tried resetting Nvidia software to default to try to allow S3D to pick and choose, no dice... And I'm not running any of these other programs. I do usually have Nvidia force antialias, It makes the game look amazing lol...
And coming to think on it, I don't remember ever being able to see interiors with S3D on my new rig... only exteriors... *hmmm*

Last edited by postalbyke; 11-05-11 at 11:50 PM.
postalbyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 09:28 AM   #1277
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hi Skwasjer, been a long time since we spoke.

I know you have pretty much stopped work on the Silent 3Ditor, but I have a question regarding an issue I'm having.

I'm trying to simply have the TBT on the bridge highlight able with a mouse capture and linked to the UZO_camera. One click on the object and your taken to the Uzo camera.

In the below image I've got a "Focusable3DObj" opened up. In the "CameraList" section, the available camera names are "pre listed" (with only a partial listing shown). I've highlighted the "ConningDeck" camera.

My issue is this: I'm unable to highlight the TBT object and link a camera to it. The name 3Ditor uses ("ConningDeck") on its listed possible camera links (I believe) is not correct. Please, pay no attention to the below "Parent ID:" and say, "There's your problem. It's listing something other than the TBT object". I've opened up this particular "Focusable3DObj" just for illustration.

I also base my opinion on the fact that the "Data\Cfg\Commands.cfg" file lists the stock game "Bridge" F5 keyboard command as "Conning_deck_camera" not "ConningDeck_camera". I believe the listing of "ConningDeck" should be "Conning_deck". My issue is, how do we change this name?

While we're on the same subject. Your camera links menu left out a camera used on the German side, it's Radio Room camera. This is the camera having the name "Interior_radio_camera". It's also listed in the Commands .cfg file. As has been done with mods, the German radio room has been ported over to the American subs. However, without the ability to have the "Interior_radio" to be listed in the 3Ditor "CameraList" there is little we can do to add another camera link from this position.

Any help would be appreciated.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:16 AM   #1278
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You can edit the *.cs files for S3D

Open them with notepad and study them abit.
It's pretty easy once you play with them some.
Remember to keep backups as you learn.
Old 11-10-11, 08:00 AM   #1279
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

@CapnScurvy

The lists you refer too are not the same. The picklists in S3D's property editor are all predefined enumerations. Their names have NO meaning to the game, only the actual value that they represent (an integer type), unlike actual commands which are of type 'strings'. The example ConningDeck you gave for all we care could be named 'SomeStupidName'. But the value in the DAT-file is actually stored as an integer value '5'.

The reason I chose for these descriptions is:
a) readibility
b) conformance to C# coding style

The descriptions are actually taken from C-style declarations stored in the .ACT files. These are much less readable, because they usually are all caps, and with meaningless prefixes (to non-coders, mind you).

Since S3D was written to assist modders, I chose to transform these C-style declarations to C#-style declarations which are easier to read.

This enumeration in particular may put you on the wrong foot, since you see similar commands like Conning_deck, but make no mistake, the enum type here is a list of defined Camera's, while the Conning_deck command is a command that jumps to a specific station, which is not the same (per se). If the ACT-file does not have the definition, then adding them to the .CS file like privateer says may more than likely NOT work, even though a companion command may exist. I've copied all enumerations from the .ACT-files (from SH4, which may be the reason why the german camera is not there), and while I may have made a mistake here or there, 99% chance is that the enums are correct so if something is missing, it likely is NOT implemented by the devs.

Just be carefull with changing enumerations, each entry is associated with an integer value, even if no number is assigned to it, in which they are anonymous and autoincrement. With these types of enumerations (and S3D has many of them), changing a name has no effect, but changing the order will actually change the value that each entry represents!!!

So, to recap:

- Enumerations are value types (integers), their 'name' is not stored and could be named anything you like (as long as it adheres to C# naming specs, meaning it can't start with a number, and can't contain most 'special' characters).
- Commands are string types, their 'name' IS stored and must match exactly with whatever commands the game supports.

[edit] Lastly, making the TBT clickable or highlightable on the bridge seems to be an actual game bug. Many have attempted to fix this. I can at least assure you that it has nothing to do with your question in particular, although perhaps it might be related (perhaps the value is actually incorrectly '5').

Last edited by skwasjer; 11-10-11 at 08:12 AM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 10:50 AM   #1280
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Thank you Skwasjer and Privateer for your insights.

Yesterday after posting my question, I took a look into S3D and found the .cs file. I happily renamed the entities, added a few others for good measure and opened S3D to rework the parameters. Got nothing; well I got something! I found out that (as You said skwasjer) the enumeration system is the main source of linking the camera's and that going out of the set number of camera's listed only puts you to the desktop in a trot!

So, today I see both your posts and wholeheartedly agree. Yep, you can mess around with the names in the .cs files but that isn't going to get you any farther in making things work. Adding additional ones, and you got a whole lot of cleanup to do after the mess.

Thanks for the replies. Especially your through explanation skwasjer. Helps a lot in understanding what happened yesterday. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 11-10-11, 11:24 AM   #1281
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Thanks for the replies. Especially your through explanation skwasjer. Helps a lot in understanding what happened yesterday. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Absolutely true

But still, that unclickable TBT is annoying as hell. When copied exactly from SH3 it still does not work, I have tried it, Ducimus has tried it, and others have too. The only thing I can think of is that I (like I've indicated) made an errors when copying the enumeration. I can't check though because I don't have the game installed for a long time
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 11:53 AM   #1282
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
........that unclickable TBT is annoying as hell. When copied exactly from SH3 it still does not work, I have tried it, Ducimus has tried it, and others have too. The only thing I can think of is that I (like I've indicated) made an errors when copying the enumeration.
Your efforts with the Silent 3ditor prove you're a master par none!

From what I've seen within the game, having things "backwards", "wrong", or just plain "out of sequence" is more the games fault than yours.

Quote:
Old 11-20-11, 10:12 PM   #1283
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

I'm back... and I feel bad about asking so soon, but I'm getting a parse error on a control room built for NYGM... I wanted to move the scope and hatch to make it compatible with my new conning tower, but I can't even open the file with SH3ditor

I'm not sure how sharp I am to go get into hex editing just to open this file...

BTW, I tried this on both computers, separate downloads and installations (NYGM and 3ditor) just to be sure, the problem seems to be the .dat
Old 11-22-11, 03:29 PM   #1284
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

How to use Placement control

How to use the Placement Control in SH5 to re-position Hinged Snorkle Model depending on current Conning Tower.

Yes, it is very obvious Ubi's Dev's were rushed. To bad Ubi does not support thier releases.

Using Type-VIIB as example reference because it has 3 CT:
The positioning of the Conning Towers is not consistant. (The location of the Conning Towers Leading Edge vary Fore/Aft and PORT/STBD.)
I want to use the Placement Control atteched to each Conning Tower Model so this control can move the Snorkle Model to correct Position depending on current Conning Tower installed.

This would result in the use of one(1) Snorkle Model that can be used on the Type-VII no matter what conning tower is installed.

Placement Control:
- Parent ID = Snorkle Model Base Node ID (Just 4/100 Node with Label)
- Object to Place Node ID = Snorkle Assy Node ID (Just 4/100 Node with Label Parent ID = Snorkle Base. This Node is Parent Node for actual Model Nodes)
- Both ID's are in the Snorkle Model

If I add the Placement control to the Conning Tower SIM file, Goblin Editor see's this Control as a lost controller because the Parent Node is on different Model.

Trying this next:
So I made DAT files for each Conning Tower and the only Control in these DAT files is the Placement control.
I edited the Conning_7B_0x.lst (x = 0 or 1 or 2) file located in the "data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7b\Submarine Parts" folder adding line that tells Model to load this new DAT.
i.e. Line added "data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7b\Submarine Parts\Conning_7B_0x.dat"
-=[EDIT UPDATE]=-
This did not work. The Snorkle postion did not change when installing different Conning Tower.
I can not move the Conning Tower because then the Deck Watch Hatch would not line up with the Conning Tower Room.
I really hate SH5 but I also really hate to give up.
Such a long list of bugs and that list keeps growing.

My questions are
- Am I implementing this control correctly?
- Can the Placement control be attached to Model A and adjust Model B?
- Is there a better way to implement this control?
- Is there another solution that can be used?

Here can see how far Conning Tower 1 extends foreward of Conning Tower 0

Currently I can load this Snorkle Model and everything functions correctly with the exception of purging Co2 level inside submarine interior.
TheDarkWraith has noted that this may require a SH5.exe edit in order for Snorkle circulate O2 and to purge Co2, as was done to SHIII. I have PM'd H.sie asking about this change.

Please Advise!
Thank You!
Regards!
TheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 11-24-11 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Adding more information
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 11:00 PM   #1285
pileggicam
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

this is a really good tool
pileggicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 09:03 PM   #1286
gaul92
Seaman

Downloads: 10

can some one teach me how to use this and make mods?
gaul92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 11:22 AM   #1287
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

maybe can you create a readme about how to import ships from silent hunter 3 or 4 into virtual sailor...please reply back when you can...
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 12:03 PM   #1288
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

need help with this:/ how can i convert ships from silent hunter 3 or 4 to virtual sailor? please reply back i dont know what to do....
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 08:57 AM   #1289
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

When selecting an item in the Property Details on the lower right, is there a way for the highlighted item in the upper left hand, in this case the Focusable3DObj
( above picture ) to be even darker?

For some reason when I am doing this it is difficult to see what the highlighted item on the left hand side, the selected item is not dark enough.

This example is taken from a few posts above.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 04:35 PM   #1290
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Try changing your windows colour scheme settings. Try changing 'Selected Items' or equivalent. I'm on Vista which acts weird, so it only works with certain colour pre-set colour schemes, the default colour scheme ignores the changes.