SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-17, 09:39 PM   #1
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1
Default Any thoughts on Mk 60 CAPTORs in '84?

Been reading a bit about these gadgets and it seems like they'd be hilarious to spring on a wolf pack. Just drop a few in the general direction they're headed and watch the torpedo evasion circus. Plus you can carry twice as many of them as you can full size torpedos
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 10:32 PM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Been reading a bit about these gadgets and it seems like they'd be hilarious to spring on a wolf pack. Just drop a few in the general direction they're headed and watch the torpedo evasion circus. Plus you can carry twice as many of them as you can full size torpedos
My thoughts is Yes. I'm not sure how deep they could deploy them but, seeding the approaches to a harbor (friendly or hostile) seems like it would be the ticket for them.

As far as I know the Mk 67 SLMM (mobile mine built out of surplus Mk 37s) didn't exist during the time period for this game, but I'd love some CAPTOR deployment missions. Still though I think they'd generally be similar to the SEAL missions, but probably more difficult if you were expected to seed a whole minefield.
Old 08-04-17, 12:21 AM   #3
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Deep? As far as I know their MINIMUM depth is around 1000 ft. They're actually looking into modifying them to work in shallower water.

And agreed, mine laying missions might be tough, but then you could also use them in an engagement if conditions were good and you picked up the enemy subs headed your way from miles out. Also might be an ideal mission for future diesel subs.
Old 08-04-17, 01:21 AM   #4
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Deep? As far as I know their MINIMUM depth is around 1000 ft. They're actually looking into modifying them to work in shallower water.

And agreed, mine laying missions might be tough, but then you could also use them in an engagement if conditions were good and you picked up the enemy subs headed your way from miles out. Also might be an ideal mission for future diesel subs.
That would be interesting to see and fool around with but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think they are meant to be used "tactically" (think Russel Crowe using a Claymore in Proof of Life.)

My understanding with mines is that they'd only be carried as part of a specific task. I understand that the Mk 46 was designed not to target ships (mainly for own-ship protection during surface launch) however you have to wonder how effective something like that would be on a surface ship, especially with a hit on a propeller shaft or engine room. Probably not going to sink anything bigger than a corvette, but it probably is enough to cripple anything bigger or at the very least restrict its speed.
Old 08-04-17, 11:43 AM   #5
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

True, and yeah, I get that their intended use is to be dropped somewhere and left on their own for a few months.

Regarding surface ships, though, the CAPTOR container is only listening for and tracking hostile subs, it specifically screens out surface traffic and supposedly friendly subs, too. That would actually make them super valuable to the Soviets if they ever captured one... Could make for a good espionage mission in the Soviet campaign. "Comrade Captain, your mission is to get close enough to these Amerikan super mines for a dive team to capture one, don't get blown up in the process."

Tags
captor, mine