SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-17, 01:37 PM   #16
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

Basically the issue is that there is no way to import models or rgba textures the way Unity is set up. To allow it, we would have to write our own custom mesh and texture importer.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 05:17 PM   #17
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

I appreciate your kind words but my skills as a "modder" are greatly exaggerated. "Text editor and avid user of Wikipedia" pretty much sums up most of goes into my mod. As far as trade and compensation from the devs / publisher while on the surface it sounds like a good idea it would likely open up so many cans of worms for them its not something I'd expect anybody to entertain.

That being said though, I'd like to think that this sort of thing serves itself, I put something together that I can have fun playing with and maybe spark a few ideas. Not going to be so bold as to claim that people are buying the game because of the work I've done, but you have to wonder how many sales happened because people saw Captain Jive Turkey flying around the Norwegian Sea in an Alfa the other day. Again this sort of thing serves itself here because each new purchase brings the game that much closer to DLC viability and continued development.

I'm loath to speak for them but if I had to guess I'd say that Cold Waters has probably had a meteoric rise and smashed sales projections and the like, but again no small part of that is the devs having foresight to make the game very modder friendly to grow this community around it.
Old 07-27-17, 08:08 PM   #18
SeaCadt07
Swabbie

Downloads: 209

More subs! This seems like a no brainer for DLC so I suspect it will come sooner or later. The base game as a platform is sound, even though I know they are tweaking the ai and stuff
SeaCadt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 11:21 PM   #19
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I appreciate your kind words but my skills as a "modder" are greatly exaggerated. "Text editor and avid user of Wikipedia" pretty much sums up most of goes into my mod. As far as trade and compensation from the devs / publisher while on the surface it sounds like a good idea it would likely open up so many cans of worms for them its not something I'd expect anybody to entertain.

That being said though, I'd like to think that this sort of thing serves itself, I put something together that I can have fun playing with and maybe spark a few ideas. Not going to be so bold as to claim that people are buying the game because of the work I've done, but you have to wonder how many sales happened because people saw Captain Jive Turkey flying around the Norwegian Sea in an Alfa the other day. Again this sort of thing serves itself here because each new purchase brings the game that much closer to DLC viability and continued development.

I'm loath to speak for them but if I had to guess I'd say that Cold Waters has probably had a meteoric rise and smashed sales projections and the like, but again no small part of that is the devs having foresight to make the game very modder friendly to grow this community around it.

I think I saw that Jive Turkey vid on YouTube. Great stuff. I'm a big fan of Mr. Jingles!!!

Well said. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if you were right on the money about Cold Waters sales above the Devs predictions and a lot of that having to do with the mods that come from the community. Look what happened with SH5 I think it was. The game was broke-ass dead and they released a total clunker, but the mods teams got to work on it and fixed so many issues and improved gameplay b leaps and bounds. No one was buying the game as it was released. The SUBSIM forums were alive with players who wouldn't buy he game as it was and waited until it could be improved. I know I was one of them who waited over a year I think. Regardless of what happens, things are better than they may have been. All the interest and mods we bring to this game will only benefit it in the long run.

Now I need to go find a Jingles or J. Turk vid on how to use VLS with Soviet player ships!!! Was playing the Oscar and found my target, tried to fire VLS but got a could not fire message. Couldn't figure out how to shoot VLS, and had no option but to scrap the game. They found me while I wasn't paying attention and ate 6 torps. Ack!!
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 01:49 AM   #20
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
I think I saw that Jive Turkey vid on YouTube. Great stuff. I'm a big fan of Mr. Jingles!!!

Well said. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if you were right on the money about Cold Waters sales above the Devs predictions and a lot of that having to do with the mods that come from the community. Look what happened with SH5 I think it was. The game was broke-ass dead and they released a total clunker, but the mods teams got to work on it and fixed so many issues and improved gameplay b leaps and bounds. No one was buying the game as it was released. The SUBSIM forums were alive with players who wouldn't buy he game as it was and waited until it could be improved. I know I was one of them who waited over a year I think. Regardless of what happens, things are better than they may have been. All the interest and mods we bring to this game will only benefit it in the long run.

Now I need to go find a Jingles or J. Turk vid on how to use VLS with Soviet player ships!!! Was playing the Oscar and found my target, tried to fire VLS but got a could not fire message. Couldn't figure out how to shoot VLS, and had no option but to scrap the game. They found me while I wasn't paying attention and ate 6 torps. Ack!!
JT just had an Oscar out yesterday morning IIRC, go check his latest stuff on youtube.
Old 07-28-17, 04:29 AM   #21
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Basically the issue is that there is no way to import models or rgba textures the way Unity is set up. To allow it, we would have to write our own custom mesh and texture importer.
Hi Julhelm. Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry, I didn't realize at first you are a Cold Waters Dev. While rereading the thread I noticed your avatar.

I understand what you're saying about how Unity is currently set up and that it's not possible to import 3rd party models. I'm not a modder or computer programmer so maybe what I'm gonna say is off the wall, but is there any possibility maybe sometime in the future a dev kit can be developed for purchase that would allow 3rd party modders the ability to design new 3D models and import them into the game? I apologize if what I'm asking is ridiculous or just completely off the wall. Like I said, I'm not a programmer so I have no idea what would be involved, other than a lot of hard work I'm sure. If not a Dev kit, is it possible we may see new models in the future as DLC?
Cold Waters seems to have struck a chord here, and it seems like many members of SUBSIM have purchased the game or plan to. The mod teams have already uploaded quite a few mods in a short period of time, and already players want more. (I know, we're never satisfied...) Any insight you're allowed to talk about as to the future of Cold Waters would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Tom "CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 05:17 AM   #22
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Perfect explanation, thanks
Ditto on this. Appreciate it.

Again for the record, I fully support the DEVS in their plans for this area. The gave us a pretty good amount of subs in the base game and I wouldn't mind paying for some variety down the road.

Like it or not DLC is pretty much here to stay.

RE: A Beer with Neal:

Never had the pleasure sorry to say. I seem to recall multiple years ago I was supposed to meet up with him and a few other Subsim guys back when I was still helping with tours on the USS Texas, but I think I got reassigned to help another group so never met them. (Memory is fuzzy)

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 12:54 AM   #23
longface
Watch

Downloads: 8

Also not a programmer, but would it be possible for our community of awesome modders to create models in Unity and submit them to the devs somehow? Or is that impractical/impossible?
longface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 02:44 PM   #24
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
...but is there any possibility maybe sometime in the future a dev kit can be developed for purchase that would allow 3rd party modders the ability to design new 3D models and import them into the game?
I think there's an untapped market there. Not for Cold Waters specifically but in general. Many games support modding and some games are supported by modding, but outside of the Bethesda RPGs developers rarely, if ever, build professional tools for modding their games. I imagine that's because such tools are made at a loss because they're provided for free and the predicted increase in sales typically won't justify that loss but if they were sold separately for a price people could afford they may be able to pay for the development themselves.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 03:56 PM   #25
Izrid
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

I posted something similar and got chewed out for it =/
Izrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 05:26 PM   #26
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izrid View Post
I posted something similar and got chewed out for it =/
Nope, what you said was actually quite a bit more ignorant, basically came off as "Your mod sucks because you can't do something (which is actually impossible)." I hope you learned something from the response that you got. =/

Also, I think the larger point here is that while not everyone likes the aesthetic choice of having to look at stand in (in many cases mostly Soviet) submarine models, these are the same people who will likely clamor for a mod if the day comes that models can be added and some of this stuff starts looking more like it should.
Old 08-15-17, 06:10 PM   #27
Izrid
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

Yes, I've learnt that here one must kowtow and keep any criticisms to yourself.
Izrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 03:53 AM   #28
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izrid View Post
Yes, I've learnt that here one must kowtow and keep any criticisms to yourself.
Nope, clearly learned nothing but still desperately seeking attention.
Old 08-16-17, 07:36 AM   #29
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Nope, clearly learned nothing but still desperately seeking attention.
Old 08-16-17, 11:56 AM   #30
EnjoyableSTIG
Seaman

Downloads: 68

Please just ignore the source of the disturbance. The mods I've played with new subs have been excellent.
EnjoyableSTIG is offline   Reply With Quote