SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-17, 01:29 PM   #1
thereddaikon
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default MPA's overpowered?

I've had to switch from elite to realistic mode because in missions where MPA's are flying around I just can't catch a break.

I can be down around 1000 feet depth running ultra silent with the sensors showing I am completely invisible to surface contacts. Even the helos unable to find me but those damn bears seem to always know just where to search and their MAD always locates me. If I don't go flank and make aggressive maneuvers I'll have a spread of depth charges on top of me in seconds.

That doesn't seem right to me. Going off of what actual submariners have said online, aircraft aren't supposed to be THAT good at finding you. And MAD isn't supposed to be that accurate. I find it hard to believe that an over sized metal detector flying at a few hundred mph 1500 feet above me can give such perfect a solution when the sub is made out of non magnetic steel and he only gets a split second above me.

Is this realistic? Are they overpowered? Or is this a gameplay choice on the dev's part to make the game more challenging? What do you guys do to counter this? I like playing at elite and do fine otherwise but the MPA's always have my number.
thereddaikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 07:47 PM   #2
billman
Nub

Downloads: 26

They probably made it over accurate on purpose. In many games, raising the difficulty doesn't make the ai smarter, rather the ai cheats and gets buffs to its own equipment. The idea is at the player already has a significant advantage over the ai, and the best way to even the odds up is to let the AI cheat. Anyway my point is, it may not be realistic but it's supposed to overcome the inherit advantage the player has over the ai and make it challenging.
billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 02:27 AM   #3
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

Not sure what the problem ist there. I never have any problems with helikopters or planes. Maybe you should decrease the detection range to 500 yards. That helps.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 01:15 PM   #4
REDDQ
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

On one hand MPA is overpowered, on the other, Soviet depth charges are underpowered, rocket torpedoes aren't in yet and the general loadout is fraction of what planes are suppose to carry. Kind of balance deal it seems.
REDDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 02:27 PM   #5
thereddaikon
Watch

SSN-14's and RBUs are implemented. I'm not sure what you mean by rocket torpedoes not working. RBUs are basically Russian hedgehogs, rocket depth charges and SSN-14s are the Russian ASROC.
Old 08-14-17, 03:29 PM   #6
REDDQ
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereddaikon View Post
SSN-14's and RBUs are implemented. I'm not sure what you mean by rocket torpedoes not working. RBUs are basically Russian hedgehogs, rocket depth charges and SSN-14s are the Russian ASROC.
Sorry, I should have just name what I mean - APR-1 and APR-2 solid-fuel rocket torpedoes. Or underwater missile, nomenclature ain't clear.

It is dropped from a plane or helicopter like a depth charge. Than it passively looks for a target. When detected it fires its engine and darts towards submarine at 60 knots.
Old 08-14-17, 03:42 PM   #7
thereddaikon
Watch

Huh never heard of those, for a second I thought you were talking about the Shkval super cavitating torpedo.
Old 08-14-17, 04:42 PM   #8
REDDQ
Swabbie

Yeah, I should clarify I mean airborne armament.
Old 08-15-17, 09:12 AM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

billman!after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote