SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-17, 06:42 PM   #16
Egmont
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Little help with steam and updating...

Hey here's where I'm at:

Purchased SH4 base and SH4 missions on steam for about $10
Have both games selectable to play?
Playing on the expansion SH4 missions
Says version 1.3

Peter sent me a link and I have v1.4 downloaded (need help installing)
Once done, the next step to get to v1.5 and then the mods I've been researching

Assistance would be great. Love the game!

Steven
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 07:01 PM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You can no longer update the v1.3 from Steam to the v1.4 patch from Ubisoft. It will mess up your Steam license and not run. Just put the v1.4 Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boats Missions on top of the v1.3 install. I think that the Steam installer defaults to that anyway, ~IF~ I'm remembering correctly... Use Steam's download manager though, and don't put them in the Windows folders. Have Steam make you a different folder to put it in... They used to say on the game page for UBoats Missions that it "required" Wolves of the Pacific... Like it does if you click on an add-on for the IL-2 planes game... hmmm...

Does the UBoats Missions from Steam now "stand-alone", does anybody know?... That'd make it like the "Gold Edition" on DVD if it does...

-NEVERMIND- they moved it down a little bit, and it's no longer up by the "Buy" button... - to be expected... this quote is now down in the "body" of the text:

This is an expansion for Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific and requires the Steam version of the original game to play.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 07:17 PM   #18
Egmont
Watch

Hmm. didn't work.

I added game v1.4 into steam, install began and then stopped:

Setup detected no version of SH4 WoP is installed. Update requires previous version of application installed.
Old 06-23-17, 07:29 PM   #19
Egmont
Watch

On a side note, does anyone know the statistics for torpedo sinkings compared to popup gundeck sinkings during WWII?

I'm sure torpedoes would be optimal in many ways, but tracking equipment might not be available on a lot of merchant marine ships, and since that's the bulk of my targets, I'm wondering if I should be getting in close and getting her done from the deck cannon?
Old 06-23-17, 09:30 PM   #20
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You can no longer update the v1.3 from Steam to the v1.4 patch from Ubisoft. It will mess up your Steam license and not run... Just put the v1.4 (should read 1.5) Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boats Missions on top of the v1.3 install.
Attention! Attention! Typo Aleart!!! Dum dum at the helm here...

Do NOT put the 1.4 in. Use the Steam v1.5 UBoats Missions on top of your v1.3 game... wow. Think I've got it now... sorry 'bout that...

Old 06-23-17, 10:10 PM   #21
Egmont
Watch

Hey, no worries, I'll figure this out sooner or later. Right now I gotta get me some transports.
Old 06-24-17, 02:19 AM   #22
Egmont
Watch

Alright, calling it a night after being in a 3 destroyer encircling me slug out. Two torpedo hits out of 5 fired before diving deep. Came back to periscope depth when I had an Aft shot lined up and was bulldozered. Thought I could do a little up and down, wasn't happening.

Not sure what else could've been done there other than kill engines, sit deep and pray they forget lose me. A tough one.

I'll get back on figuring out this update thing tomorrow.
Old 06-24-17, 07:03 AM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Destroyers are best avoided. You don't get squat for tonnage score when you hit 'em, they call all their buddies for a party and you're the cake and ice cream. Your best bet is to dive below the layer, set engines at 100 rpm or less, keep 'em astern and create distance until you're free. This can take hours.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 03:08 PM   #24
Egmont
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Destroyers are best avoided. You don't get squat for tonnage score when you hit 'em, they call all their buddies for a party and you're the cake and ice cream. Your best bet is to dive below the layer, set engines at 100 rpm or less, keep 'em astern and create distance until you're free. This can take hours.
I learned the destroyer lesson, the convoy lesson, the task force lesson (what was I thinking on that one?) Love this game!

Hey man I watched some of your videos. Good stuff. I just had something kinda strange happen. everyone in the control room looks like they are covered in oil splotches?
I was heading back after taking down two freighters, 15K. On my second crash dive avoiding planes, I surfaced and the engines went out. I couldn't move at all. I sorted enough personnel to repair crew and when the bar went to 90% I could get to speed.
I wasn't sure what to do, so I high tailed it back to port on a couple clicks above regular time to avoid more enemy plane spawns. I believe they come out when I speed play in enemy areas?
So I get to port, get refit, I believe everything is repaired, but my guys still have the black splotches and there are two people manning wrenches in the control room. Doesn't seem ready for action. I may have to restart.

Anyhow, I like this community. I'd love to get some updates happening here as the UI you guys are using is pretty cool looking, and from what I've read the game has become so much better.

I'm a little lost about these files, the how to's and I'm a little tired. Been playing a lot the past couple days.
Old 06-24-17, 03:11 PM   #25
Egmont
Watch

Oh, and about those freighters. I don't have anything but warships and a couple misc ships in my ship decipher book, sorry I don't remember the term for it.

So I need to get this update going.
Old 06-24-17, 03:59 PM   #26
propbeanie

On the cover of the Recognition Manual are a set of arrows that scroll you back and forth between the different countries' warships, and a "Merchants" for everybody. Lots of pix to look at, even in the stock game...

Old 06-26-17, 02:32 PM   #27
Egmont
Watch

OMG that helps. lol

Okay, I'm not in any rush to mod up now as I'm still getting used to all the little things like navigation, charting courses, aligning myself for aft shots, etc. Even the reverse angles and the math/visualization, these are the things I was hoping to get with this game and they come in plenty.

One thing that's coming up for me, or at least I'm more than worried about is fuel conservation.

Here's what I'm doing and let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

I travel standard surfaced at night, 1/3+ during the day at p-depth and crash dive in the case of air contact, regular dive for surface contacts.

I've been sticking mostly to routes covering the deepest up to two shallower levels, never shallower than that for a long time unless at night.

If I'm not going to make it to refuel station, should I run batteries from hiding place to hiding place so I can surface and 1/3 or stop wait for recharge and go again?
Old 06-26-17, 02:40 PM   #28
Egmont
Watch

Default Gosh, so many questions...

Recently finding the merchant category in my recog book...
Grrr, i didn't figure that out.

So about torpedo depth? I'm taking a lot of shots on tankers and freighters and think I could use a general rule here to improve.
Old 06-27-17, 12:56 AM   #29
propbeanie

I set torps to 15 foot contact and let fly - unless I'm going "historical" and following "orders from headquarters" to only use magnetic... Only the bigger warships had torpedo skirts for the most part.

Stay on the surface as much as you can using Ahead Standard in the stock game, which is the most fuel efficient. In some of the mods, Ahead 2/3 is. In other mods, you have to set the speed to the knot. Getting really detailed. The idea behind staying on the surface as much as possible, is you cover more "water". ~AND~ you're not using diesel fuel to charge your batteries as much. Also, is you use the batteries all through the day, then you don't have them available when you ~really~ need them...

If you don't have radar, this won't apply all the way, but has lots of good points to pay attention to:
Rockin Robbin's Airplane Avoidance with Radar Tutorial video

he also has one on manual targeting the easy way:

even if you use automatic targeting at this time, practicing the approach will get you ready for when you cut the strings...

Old 06-27-17, 09:23 AM   #30
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

I have found that 9 Knots is the most fuel efficient, 10 doesn't hurt a lot more.
A patch to show your fuel range is below. As always be sure to backup files in case of a typo. I find it very useful, just a "Shift G" gets you max range. It also takes into account whether or not there is a battery charge in progress.

Fuel range at current speed:
So, in: \Data\Cfg\Commands.cfg
Commands.cfg (open with a text editor like Notepad)

[Cmd257] <------------------ Step #1: Find "[Cmd257]"
Name=Report_time_to_turn
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250002
Key0=0x47,s,"Shift+G" <--------- Step #2: Add this string

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you also want the 'Weather Report' "Ctrl+W" make this [Cmd261] edit:

[Cmd261]
Name=Report_weather
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250006
Key0=0x57,c,"Ctrl+W" <--------- Step #3: Add this string