SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-14, 09:04 AM   #1
GorkanCzech
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 radio mods,

Guys what are the best radio mods ?
im mainly searching for ones from Real Uboat Mod 1.45
but i want these radio mods standalone, Kinda like Grey Wolfes Do It.
GorkanCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:40 PM   #2
Reverie
Planesman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default Sorry,... it'll be a guessing game...

We want to hear radio broadcasts from the era; e.g. the music and news/alerts that came over the speaker while the boats were awaiting orders in late August '39, hearing the homeland broadcasts of victories on all fronts, the changing situation in a particular Quadrant, the honouring of a branch of the Service or of a fallen comrade, and the occasional tune that took the crew away from all the nasty business.

Reading your query, that is...the "Title" of your post, I am assuming you are fully aware of the SubSim Downloads Section of the website and the suitable SH3 category: Sound FX Mods. I imagine you wrestling with the quandary that myself and all uboat environment enhancers have endured: the expense of downloading massive amounts of data un-catalogued, un-indexed, and lacking appropriate time-line and relevance. Nothing like downloading a mega-file listed as uboat suitable only to find it is a mish-mash of Hollywood movie soundtrack palaver; and our ISP has tagged on a few hundred bucks for the transmission.

What is nice is discovering a data file identified with an appropriate file name.

Oh! Here's one! "Sept39_Aug40_Radio_Mod.rar"; an archive of four files portraying the mindset of the major conflict during the given time period.

"SH3_oggvorbis1.rar (1 all the way to 5 is what I've found) is a conglomeration of Military Marches, Propaganda jingles, Berlin Radio's latest, and popular tunes. These could be the penultimate for your
Gramophone subdirectory. However, they tend to be a hodgepodge of nonlinear soundbytes as far as timeline, with the occasional movie theme thrown in!
"Something called 'Transformers' is playing over my 'Gramophone'; what has this got to do with the hell my crew and I are enduring on this God forsaken uboat !?"

You must expand the archives and situate their playability. This can be done, and is worth the effort and research to have individual recordings/broadcasts air at the given periods.

I cannot stress the importance enough to utilising the JoneSoft program SH3Commander and its "Date" collation capability.

"JoneSoft" is one of the ancillary program developers that keeps SH3 relevant and enjoyable by affording the user involvement in the uboat career simulation with a non-dynamic first-person interaction.

SH3Commander does include date related, poignant broadcasts that coincide with the events of the given "game time". But wait! The user can also insert select files from their jumbled archive downloads into correct "date" directories; there they will be presented at accurate broadcast periods. Let's admit it, we don't want to hear "Afrika Corps" while Germany is retaliating against Polish hostilities at Gliewitz. After sorting everything into correct "Date" subdirectories, these subdirectories can be saved to hard-memory; ready for future re-use. Convenience is a synonym for "JoneSoft".

As far as compatibility, I personally experience only one hitch in my Gramophone operation. The downloaded files "Radio_Deutschland" and "Radio_England" are both comprehensive and integral additions to the SH3 immersion, yet the German broadcast tends to freeze the program at odd moments during an interception of the enemy. The solution is simple: when in placid moments of patrolling play the file first before any other broadcasts or records, shut the crew entertainment OFF the moment the boat needs to engage/get down to business, and NO Time Compression! Serious considerations for sound files, eh? The manipulating is insignificant. These two files are rich and rewarding.

I sincerely desire that you strive to achieve the most realistic experience for your simulation of an historic era of human struggle and achievement. May all SubSim members, purveyors, and contributors to SH3 attain the satisfaction of reclining to their respective Gramophone without being surreptitiously fatalled in the program, or by design of code, blasted to smithereens.

I wonder if the enemy can hear those cheery tunes...?

Best wishes,
Reverie

Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mods, newbie, radio, radio mods, real uboat mod