Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 02-12-11, 02:45 AM   #1
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
Default Hey guys!

Hi guys. I've been pondering this for a while. It's still in the raw and I'm just throwing this out there.
Even though this is Subsim.com, we still fill a gap in the land combat department.
And frankly, I get bored very easily.
So, I guess what I'm saying, what would you like to do to spruce up the forum? Lets put some life into our little nook in the woods!
There's all sorts of things. Maybe historical discussions, debates (how could Germany have turned the tide at kursk?)
Perhaps some of the more imaginative of us could take missions from the sims we play and turn the events into a story. Like my Kharkov diaries (I'm waiting on my computer to get here to continue writing the series)

this is kind of a brainstorm and I'm not expecting anything to come of it. What would you like to see? Suggestions/ideas are welcome!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!

Old 02-12-11, 08:50 AM   #2
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default SIMS like a Good Idea

Sledge that' a great idea! WE coud indeed debate historical themes, battles, tanks , tactics, books on WWII or simply talk about the best missions we' ve ever played or discuss the merits/rate the various sims and RTS we've played or still play!Could even chat about what's going on on other fora

I am all for it

frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:35 PM   #3
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

That is a fantastic idea man I think you would be the best man to get
things rolling. I would hope guys would really contribute to this no matter
what they believe, especially about WWII.

Zee

ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:53 PM   #4
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

As far as what the Germans could have done to change the outcome at Kursk.
I think if they could have changed policy early on that would have been more willing to give concessions to the Anti-Stalin, Nationalist, Ukrainians, this would have brought more willing fighting men in on the side of the German cause. From conquest to liberating the Russian people from Stalin, so-to-speak.

Old 02-12-11, 03:00 PM   #5
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 135

I'm kind of new to the tank sim genre as I've pretty much been a participant to the SH end of these forums for years. The WWII sub guys are just plain way over the top in both active participation, historical knowledge and just plain old zealotry(I won't even mention the flight sim fans). I think that this idea or something like it has a ton of merit and I'd love to see some additional life spark up here.

TvT got me started as flawed as it was and I'm still waiting to get a copy of SF but I've been visiting this and Graviteam's site for quite awhile now. The "problem" (probably the wrong word) is that unlike the folks involved in the various Silent Hunter versions, there seems to be only a few really knowledgeable/dedicated/active individuals. I'm not slamming any one or anything simply putting out an observation. I personally don't know enough to be actively involved in historical discussions, altho I greatly enjoy reading them. I do know that I want to learn.

Perhaps, IMHO the biggest road block to more enthusiasm is the theater. It seems that up to now the majority of the recent tank sims or at least the better ones, appears to be made by and geared towards the Russian experience. I for one have had very little interest in the Soviet side of the war and find myself usually playing as the Germans. There really isn't a whole lot out there geared towards the US/British v Axis perspective. That's why I'm excited about an SF desert campaign mod and perhaps one day a mod dealing with the events from Normandy to the end of the war. This could probably do more to whip up new enthusiasm and new blood than a dozen more Russian v German campaigns. I'm not complaining and will happily consider purchasing whatever comes out.

I look forward to any ideas or suggestions and really would like to see a huge expansion here.

Cheers!
Old 02-12-11, 10:03 PM   #6
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

I'm all in favor of more after-action reports like the Kharkov diary

Thanks!
Kyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 07:06 PM   #7
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Okay. I'm glad I'm getting a return on this.

After-Action Reports are a must.
What I suggest is having an after-action report thread for each game we play. one for Steel Fury, TvsT, so on.

Debates...Theres a lot of subjects, and a lot of topics.
so here is an idea that just popped up.
lets say we want to have a discussion about the T-34 versus the Tiger.
call the thread
TANK vs. TANK - T34 vs Tiger
if we want to talk about battles
you can put
BATTLES - Kursk

and you get the idea. discussions can go far and wide...
once the ideas get rolling I'll create a sticky thread and archive the debates, the AAR's, etc.
and by all means, guys, don't wait on me! Wanna get started? get to posting!!!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 08:38 PM   #8
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWolf View Post
As far as what the Germans could have done to change the outcome at Kursk.
I think if they could have changed policy early on that would have been more willing to give concessions to the Anti-Stalin, Nationalist, Ukrainians, this would have brought more willing fighting men in on the side of the German cause. From conquest to liberating the Russian people from Stalin, so-to-speak.
Well Z, from what little I know about Kursk, it might have helped the Germans beforehand, if the Russian spies hadn't told the Russian High Command what the Germans were going to do. From what I understand, the Russians knew what was coming before it even started.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 09:54 PM   #9
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Well Z, from what little I know about Kursk, it might have helped the Germans beforehand, if the Russian spies hadn't told the Russian High Command what the Germans were going to do. From what I understand, the Russians knew what was coming before it even started.
Yes that is true. As well as all of the German plans since the German code was broken early in the war. And yes this had a catastrophic effect on all plans. Even with that against them, the Germans had some incredible success
in fighting the Red Army. Another aspect to this story is just how many high
ranking officials in the British staff as well as US had an interest in the spread
of Communism, we may never know.

Old 02-14-11, 03:38 AM   #10
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Zitadelle

If Hitler had been willing to simply give up North africa in late 1942 after Operation Torch and the fact that the retreating Afrika Korps was facing a two-front war with insufficient supplies because of the failure to invade Malta then the Germans would have had over 300 000 men with the equipement that was destroyed or captured in may 1943 available to be used on teh east front. Not to mention that Hitler would nto have been distracted by what went on in Tunisia in early 1943 and could have concentrated his attention to the Kursk operation.North Afrika was as good as lost in december 1942 anyway.

This might have allowed Unternehmen Zitadelle to be conducted in April or may 1943 , before the Soviets had time to prepare strong defensive positions.The Allies would not have been ready to invade Sicily before June or July 1943 thus giving teh germans enough time to exploit a breakthrough in the East.

The big quesiton is was Kursk necessaryÉ

I think von Manstein s proposal to shorten the front instead by withdrawing and allowing the build up of strategic reserves and then bleeding the Soviet throuh elastic defence and local counter attacks would have been a better solution considering the deteriorating ratio of German resources in armour, men and aircrafts.This mights have delayed defeat by a year or more.Just my opinion
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote