SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-15, 08:16 AM   #1
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Default My scenarios

Hi folks, I thought I would share the scenarios I've made for CMANO over the past month here! The first two of them are in the just-updated community pack already, while Yankee Team is one that I still have in beta.

The one thing I've been trying to do with my scenarios is to make them dynamic - all three of them should play a bit differently (or in some cases very differently) each time. The latter two especially are meant to be played more than once. All of them are set in the Cold War so far, and all of them are mostly-historical (i.e. a realistic OOB, but may end up with a lot more action than the real historical outcomes). They're generally on the more complex side so I don't recommend them to players who aren't well-versed in CMANO gameplay.

This scenario covers the first 3 days of US participation in the Korean War. The main task will be to coordinate the evacuation of US citizens from Seoul, to attempt to win air superiority, and conduct the first tactical interdiction of the war while holding back North Korean air attacks. It's a big scenario with several phases and some 200 player aircraft available.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B77...ew?usp=sharing

This is a small scenario that might seem simple at first look - you command Soviet air defenses and you have to shoot down just one airplane to win the mission. But you'll quickly discover that this is a much more difficult task than it seems, and besides the impressive and elusive Blackbird, your biggest enemy is the Soviet command bureaucracy. You cannot shoot the airplane until you have permission from Moscow to open fire, and you can't count on getting it when you need it.
The neat thing about this mission is that the layout of your forces, the time and route of the Blackbird's arrival, and the timing of the permission to fire are dynamic in this mission and will play differently each time. Sometimes you'll get a good shot at the Blackbird, sometimes you'll be in perfect position to fire and never get permission, while other times it will bug out before it even gets close to the shore. Try it a few times and see how it changes!

This is my most ambitious project yet and is meant to be a very replayable scenario that can stand in for any average day of action on Yankee Station during Rolling Thunder. You command the air wings of the entire carrier force on station (but not the carriers themselves), and must arm your planes, reconnoiter and attack your targets, and carry out other tasks.
The special feature of this mission is that virtually everything in it is generated by scripts (rather than fixed in positions) each time you start. Your forces, targets, and enemy defenses will be different each time, and even the weather is dynamic. For example, while you'll always have a force of 3 carriers in the scenario, they'll be randomly chosen from a roster of 10 possible carriers, each with their historical air wings.
Right now the scenario is in a very late beta version, but I should be finished with it soon!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 12:41 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I'm looking forward to play your scenarios.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 04:25 AM   #3
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

The second scenario realy pulls on my heartstrings, not just for the subject itself (there's a whole SA-5 vs SR-71 megathread on the SAMSIM forum at SimHQ, for instance) but also because it touches on a scenario concept I had been envisioning along the lines of "A day in the life of a district PVO commander".

Such a dynamic scenario would have you commanding an entire district's PVO assets and having to deal randomly with anything from Mathias Rust-wannabes to gone-off-course airliners to RC-135s to Blackbirds to US bombers and even an alert for incoming ballistic missile attack. (In the latter case your task would be to rapidly disperse fighters and mobile ground assets in order to continue functioning even after the MOBs and fixed sites get vaporized).

So I'm glad to see someone take the core concept and run with it
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 06:00 AM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
The second scenario realy pulls on my heartstrings, not just for the subject itself (there's a whole SA-5 vs SR-71 megathread on the SAMSIM forum at SimHQ, for instance) but also because it touches on a scenario concept I had been envisioning along the lines of "A day in the life of a district PVO commander".

Such a dynamic scenario would have you commanding an entire district's PVO assets and having to deal randomly with anything from Mathias Rust-wannabes to gone-off-course airliners to RC-135s to Blackbirds to US bombers and even an alert for incoming ballistic missile attack. (In the latter case your task would be to rapidly disperse fighters and mobile ground assets in order to continue functioning even after the MOBs and fixed sites get vaporized).

So I'm glad to see someone take the core concept and run with it
Actually that's a really great idea! And thank you for the good words

I like these "waiting game followed by any number of random emergencies" scenarios, and the Lua scripting in Command really gives lots of opportunities for that. I think with my last scenario, I've figured out how to do "day in the life" 24-hour scenarios, so I might well revisit the PVO subject later.

It's funny that one of the things that kept me away from Command for so long as a lack of dynamic campaign, but the more I dig into what's possible with random scripting, the more I realize that there are a lot of great scenarios out there that are basically mini-campaigns in their own right. I really hope that side of scenario-making keeps developing.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 04:27 AM   #5
strykerpsg
Loader

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Hi folks, I thought I would share the scenarios I've made for CMANO over the past month here! The first two of them are in the just-updated community pack already, while Yankee Team is one that I still have in beta.

The one thing I've been trying to do with my scenarios is to make them dynamic - all three of them should play a bit differently (or in some cases very differently) each time. The latter two especially are meant to be played more than once. All of them are set in the Cold War so far, and all of them are mostly-historical (i.e. a realistic OOB, but may end up with a lot more action than the real historical outcomes). They're generally on the more complex side so I don't recommend them to players who aren't well-versed in CMANO gameplay.

This is a small scenario that might seem simple at first look - you command Soviet air defenses and you have to shoot down just one airplane to win the mission. But you'll quickly discover that this is a much more difficult task than it seems, and besides the impressive and elusive Blackbird, your biggest enemy is the Soviet command bureaucracy. You cannot shoot the airplane until you have permission from Moscow to open fire, and you can't count on getting it when you need it.
The neat thing about this mission is that the layout of your forces, the time and route of the Blackbird's arrival, and the timing of the permission to fire are dynamic in this mission and will play differently each time. Sometimes you'll get a good shot at the Blackbird, sometimes you'll be in perfect position to fire and never get permission, while other times it will bug out before it even gets close to the shore. Try it a few times and see how it changes!

Just finished playing this one last one...another great scenario! Thank you for making this and the other's re-playable. I played this particular one 3 times and got 3 different results each time. I just happened to have a pair of MiG25's airborne, ahead of the SR-71 and it literally took off...from 460 knots to Mach 3.....wow! Kudos and my hopes is this random sort of feature can become more common place and make all of the great scenarios in CMANO infinitely replayable and therefore a huge selling point in the future.
strykerpsg is offline   Reply With Quote