SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-14, 10:26 PM   #1
Zedwardson
Sparky

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default First Day Impressions...

I had some steam money, and wanted a harpoon like game. So I bit the bullet and bought Command: Modern air/naval operations.

Do I play the tutorials, of course not, I am a guy who does not ask for directions.

The first game I set in the early 1970s, Sub vs. sub...and they crawled right past each other without detecting each other.

So the 2nd game I built a Task force around the Foch set in 1988, and planned to have some combat with it. I learned that aircraft carriers do not automatically set up early warning planes, or even a CAP. Will have to learn how to set one up.

I sacrficed nine Badgers to get a good fix on the Foch, then using TU-22s and As4-kichens blew the Foch out of the water with a well timed (under 1 min separation) pair of volleys of Kitchens.

No wonder the TU-22s where so feared.

Anyways, I really like the game, even if I didn't scratch the surface.
Old 10-28-14, 10:28 AM   #2
Coiler
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedwardson View Post

So the 2nd game I built a Task force around the Foch set in 1988, and planned to have some combat with it. I learned that aircraft carriers do not automatically set up early warning planes, or even a CAP. Will have to learn how to set one up.
Warning planes:
-Put two reference points near the carrier, set "lock reference points" to the carrier, then make a support mission.

Patrol:
-Simple solution is to make a group of reference points around the carrier, lock them to the ship/group, then do an AAW patrol (be sure to set "investigate outside patrol area" to off if there are neutrals so they don't run away). More advanced solution is to make a bigger "patrol" area in addition to the smaller one, set that as the prosecution area, and set "investigate outside" to on.
Coiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 07:10 PM   #3
Zedwardson
Sparky

Downloads: 10

Thanks, I figured it out now and I made some fun short term ones.

Though I will laugh, I made one where you had two sets of surface forces battling it out. The USS Missouri took 8 Exocet and while she was burning and flooding, she held her own, was fully operational, and used her and her task force weapons to cause havoc.
Old 06-26-15, 03:08 PM   #4
Ahead Flank
Watch

Downloads: 3

So here's my opinion of the first use.
Before get started, I was familiar with Fleet Command and Naval War Arctic Circle. First I took tutorial for surface operation, and passing tutorials is very appreciated here. You can't call your fleet control an intuitive one. On the other hand, the mission&doctrine system was what I demanded.
Then I launched the mission of hunting Korean torpedo boats, and was successfully hunted down. I won the scenario from the second attempt, making some sophisticated activities. The fact, the game offers interesting challengeable gameplay of small craft, like torpedo boats, gunboats etc. gladdened me much, so I even began creating my own mission of Azov nowadays stand of coast guards and terrorists. That's a very good way to learn game in details.
Though I felt lack of some visualization. So when I found how to add images to the database, it was some kind a relief.
The log was uncomfortable enough to read, but maybe it's just personal. There's a texts to speech log conversion mod I hope to try soon.
I wonder, if it become my main naval war game for nearest year.

Last edited by Ahead Flank; 06-26-15 at 11:59 PM.
Ahead Flank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 02:49 AM   #5
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahead Flank View Post
The log was uncomfortable enough to read, but maybe it's just personal. There's a texts to speech log conversion mod I hope to try soon.
If you have difficulty reading the log against the map background, you can select to have it printed on a separate window (Game Options). There it is printed against a solid-black background so it is more easily readable. This also allows you some extra abilities like putting it on another monitor or filtering the messages by keyword (e.g. search for all messages with the word 'vampire').

Thanks!
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 12:26 PM   #6
Ahead Flank
Watch

Thank you! The background matters, so I'll try to do so. I'm sure it would help, but the possibility of text to speech log conversion still seems to be very attractive -)
Old 11-30-15, 07:32 PM   #7
Ahead Flank
Watch

WOW!! I'm really impressed! The Warfaresims has added background for in-game log It's much more comfortable now. I really enjoy the attention, you pay to players' opinions!
Sorry that it took me too long to report