SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-17, 05:26 PM   #16
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I think the TA is modelled as a chain of sensors, perhaps the more sensible in the latter part of it and perhaps not, I never bothered. OTOH when it's true that streaming 1/3 of it serves almost as well as streaming the whole would be an hint in this direction. If so, when the TA is say 1/3 below the layer and 2/3 above, in the reality I would mostly get signal from below (by say 90%?). If so yes, one better knows where the tail of is TA is
Old 06-27-17, 07:09 AM   #17
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69

I am curious to know if the TA going under the layer is actually modeled correctly or not?

I have a feeling that in the sim, the TA is actually just a straight rigid wire that pivots around the end of your frigate.

In the DW manual it states in the FFG TA section that even if the TA wire appears bent and is at XYZ depth, it is not being modeled in the sim.

I'm not really sure what's going on, this might require some multiplayer or custom mission sleuthing to figure out?
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 10:03 AM   #18
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
I think the TA is modelled as a chain of sensors, perhaps the more sensible in the latter part of it and perhaps not, I never bothered. OTOH when it's true that streaming 1/3 of it serves almost as well as streaming the whole would be an hint in this direction. If so, when the TA is say 1/3 below the layer and 2/3 above, in the reality I would mostly get signal from below (by say 90%?). If so yes, one better knows where the tail of is TA is
AFAIK, the towed is just a sensor at the end of a cable. There are no sensors along the cable itself. The goal is to get the sensor as far as possible from the streaming object. That distance is about 1/4 to 1/3 deployment for US subs. Beyond that, it's diminishing returns, unless you're close to some surface clutter or something where extra length means more depth of the sensor away from wave action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

I am curious to know if the TA going under the layer is actually modeled correctly or not?

I have a feeling that in the sim, the TA is actually just a straight rigid wire that pivots around the end of your frigate.

In the DW manual it states in the FFG TA section that even if the TA wire appears bent and is at XYZ depth, it is not being modeled in the sim.

I'm not really sure what's going on, this might require some multiplayer or custom mission sleuthing to figure out?
It is modeled correctly, at least for subs. I've watched my towed dip beneath the layer and see all surface contacts drop off, for example. Doesn't the FFG output the array depth?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 10:42 AM   #19
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
AFAIK, the towed is just a sensor at the end of a cable. There are no sensors along the cable itself.
Nah, that's not correct.
Here's the AN/TB-29 for example:
https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/tb-29.htm
Old 06-27-17, 10:54 AM   #20
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

During the turn it does seem like the TA acts like a stiff tail in the horizontal plane. At least on the TMA screen of subs. Maybe that is what they meant. And that is perhaps the cause of those erroneous bearing lines before it is straightened. Those lines should not be considered valid and ought to be ignored.

The TA is so long compared to the difference in depth that the curve of it in a vertical sense makes little difference. The 3D view seems to match when it get's dragged along the bottom and starts to flush out. At very low speeds in deep depths the TA seems to droop quite vertical at the end. And iirc the bearing information received from it in those cases was quite wild and not usefull. Suggesting that the angle of the end does affect it's bearing accuracy. I don't think you can use it effectively like a helo's dipping sonar to listen into to the deep sound channel.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 10:59 AM   #21
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
... Doesn't the FFG output the array depth?
Correct, "array depth": Subsim DW review:

Old 06-27-17, 01:06 PM   #22
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

In RA, many submarines have DTA (Depth of Towed Array) information in broadband mode:

(SSN-21 Seawolf + SSN-23 Jimmy Carter + Virginia + Trafalgar + Trenchant
Type 212 + Type 212A + Collins + Rubis + Amethyste + Suffren)

(Akula-I + Akula-I Impoved + Akula-II + Akula-II Impoved
Oscar-II + Delta-IV + Typhoon 941U + Borey)

p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 01:08 PM   #23
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Oh cool. They modded that into the interface.
Old 06-27-17, 01:23 PM   #24
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Playing DW since 2005 (on and off, of course).
Never, ever noticed/thought about what DTA is...

This is what amazed me about this sim.
You can learn new things about it after hundreds of hours of playing.