Old 07-23-12, 01:33 PM   #136
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Hey Wake, how's it going?

Speaking of missing members, anyone seen the Frau lately?
Or Vendor
Old 07-23-12, 01:35 PM   #137
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Frau was having problems logging onto SubSim at home, so I don't know if she was able to resolve that. Also, since it is summer she may be on vacation.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 01:35 PM   #138
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Hey Wake, how's it going?

Speaking of missing members, anyone seen the Frau lately?
Five posts up from yours...less than two weeks ago.

She doesn't come around every day like she used to, but she still hangs out from time to time.
Old 07-23-12, 04:00 PM   #139
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
Or Vendor
Funnily enough I had an email of him at the weekend. Didn't say much but at least it is proof he's still alive and kicking.
Old 07-23-12, 04:04 PM   #140
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
Wasent me!

Sup?
Yo, good to see you!
Old 07-23-12, 05:01 PM   #141
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Funnily enough I had an email of him at the weekend. Didn't say much but at least it is proof he's still alive and kicking.
They never do

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 06:44 PM   #142
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
They never do
I guess he saves it all up for GT
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 07:24 PM   #143
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Wonder what became of Jaesen, I used to have his email but can't find it and of course his web page is down!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 07:29 AM   #144
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I guess he saves it all up for GT
Or after a bottle of G&T

Old 07-24-12, 04:59 PM   #145
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Frau was having problems logging onto SubSim at home, so I don't know if she was able to resolve that. Also, since it is summer she may be on vacation.
I wish I was on vacation, lol.

The problems getting to the site were resolved, it was something to do with my router not recognizing the URL and/or or IP address as valid after something was changed with the servers or something, I dunno. Anyway one of dLink's "services" was redirecting me to a Yahoo search page instead of bringing me here. Found out about it after doing a bit of searching online and opted out of the "service" (which I suspect is a clever way for them to make money by redirecting people to Yahoo instead of letting their search engine of choice handle any such isssues) and it's been fine since then.

But "Real Life" is kinda kicking my butt at the moment so I think I'm coping by just tuning out of anything and everything that used to be part of my normal routine and immersing myself in what felt like mindless time-wasting stuff instead. Getting back into the groove now, though, or at least trying to.

The good news is we finally closed on mom's house a couple weeks ago, once the money was in the trust account we were able to sit down and figure out how much to leave in for the few remaining expenses (not much) and who got how much of the rest. We will still have money coming in from the sale of personal property - furniture is being auctioned, and we're having a yard sale this weekend, ugh - but the house was the bulk of the inheritance.

I got my share last week and took it straight to the bank. Sat down last night and paid off... everything I owe everybody, basically. By the time the banks close tomorrow I should be 100% debt free for the first time in a long time, with enough left over for a sizeable down payment on my own home.

The bad news is that the whole ordeal plus what's to come has my head spinning, just the idea of getting appproved for a loan and finding a place and buying it and moving... argh. Most of that I've never done before, which is daunting, and the moving I've done often enough to know what a PITA it is.

I keep going on line to look at info and real estate listings and stuff for first time home buyers and after a couple hours my brain is just overloaded and then I can't sleep and I have to get up and go to work the next day and everybody is all "Are you looking at condos yet? Are you are you ARE YOU ARE YOU?" and I don't even want to think about it because when I do that I think about all the stuff that I will have to do which in reality will happen over a period of time but in my head it's all kinda just "there" in a huge pile of things to be done and it's overwhelming so I don't want to deal with it.

Anyway... I actually have looked at some listings online and drove by a couple places this afternoon after work that seemed interesting, so that's something. By the end of next month I will know what kind of money I will have for living expenses and bills now that I have no outstanding debts to worry about, and that will help me get me head on straight about what's possible when it comes to buying a property.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 05:10 PM   #146
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Nice to see you around, Frau. I knew you'd been here and there on Subsim but thought you'd just got lost in Skyrim. Hope it all gets better for you.

On the debt free front, I got debt free about four years ago and have managed to stay there. It's not easy sometimes, but I think worth it, I wish I'd managed it earlier.

Just consider this place your very own 'time wasting stuff'.
Old 07-24-12, 05:35 PM   #147
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Nice to see you around, Frau. I knew you'd been here and there on Subsim but thought you'd just got lost in Skyrim.
Oh, I don't play Skyrim any more.

Not since I learned how to mod it. (KILL ME NOW. )

It's actually interesting, one of the time-wasters I got stuck on was modding the player houses. It was like the whole idea of finding and buying and making a home out of a real house is just too much to handle, so I'll spend hours moving an imaginary crate of imaginary mushrooms around an imaginary room in an imaginary house in an imaginary world until it looks JUST PERFECT. Because, dammit, at least I can finish that and then check it off my list and move on.

Not that I've stopped modding, of course. Or playing. Once I get the houses how I want them I'll start a new character. But I need to not use it as an escape from everything else, and that means not letting everything else get too overwhelming.

Quote:
Hope it all gets better for you.
Oh, it'll be fine. Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm in terribly bad shape, I'm okay, but I'm the kind of person who needs to think things through and wrap my head around new stuff in a very precise and methodical fashion, and the potential for all this change and uncertainty all hitting at once was a bit much. I just need to slow it down and take it one step at a time instead of worrying about stuff that's not gonna happen until a lot of other things happen first.

Quote:
On the debt free front, I got debt free about four years ago and have managed to stay there. It's not easy sometimes, but I think worth it, I wish I'd managed it earlier.
I am really looking forward to the end of next month, lol, I can't remember the last time I wasn't making a payment every month on SOMETHING. I know I will be sitting there thinking, where did all this extra money come from? OH RIGHT.

The hard part will be, behaving myself and socking a good bit away for moving expenses and whatnot instead of going out and splurging on something stupid. I will have some for splurging and I think one self-indulgent expense is justifiable,* just can't let myself go crazy.

*And as it happens the local symphony is doing Beethoven's Ninth in November. So I'm thinking, BOX SEATS BABY. If they're still available when single tickets go on sale next month. Which they won't be, but I can dream.
Old 07-24-12, 06:01 PM   #148
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Cool news! Paying off the debts is good. Finding your own home is good (not that I've ever done it myself). Glad most things are working for you, if not all.
Old 07-25-12, 06:06 AM   #149
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Great to see you back fk and pleased life is starting to look more enjoyable with a positive future ahead in sight.

Your post filled me with memories of nearly five years ago when I retired and was able to not only pay off the national debt (mortgage) but actually make one or two retirement investments. That is something mrs buna and I never knew the luxury of with having to bring up two ankle biters.

I only wish your good fortune had been in similar circumstances to mine rather than a bereavement.

Enough of that *cough*....the secret to life is playing the cards that are dealt to you and in that context I wish you all the luck and happiness in the world....God Bless Ya

Old 07-25-12, 09:22 AM   #150
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Thanks all for the warm thoughts.

I bit the bullet last night and hit the "request information" links on 4-5 condos that look promising. I guess I will be hearing from some real estate agents shortly.

Part of the problem is that with the current housing market situation, the number of suitable properties for sale is just outrageous. It would be easier if there were less to choose from, lol. OTOH it does let me have a few dealbreakers without narrowing down the possibilities too much.

Tags
lost, members, mia, missing, patrol