SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-15, 11:24 AM   #31
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

True, I suppose if you are going to make a U-boat movie it not like its a subject matter that's short on material, no real need to make the same movie twice, plenty of other stories to be told.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 11:50 AM   #32
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

This I know for sure-are 110 % sure

It's an American production, so it's going to women and romantics in the movie and there will be sequels.

It's the American way.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 03:24 AM   #33
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Maybe they could do a prequel!

JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 06:23 AM   #34
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I fear that if Das Boot is SH3/GWX then Bride of Das Boot will be stock SH5.

I can not imagine a reboot of the Boot being anything less then a Special Effects/CGI fiest.

The other posters here bring up the cogent points

1. There are plenty of other Uboat/Fleet Sub stories that could be filmed
2. But since Das Boot is a known entity, the producers will milk off that familiar image instead of taking the chance on another story.

We have to keep in mind that probably over 90% of the movie viewers would ask "what is a wahoo? Never heard of that." Remember that WWII was a very long time ago and most people only have a cursory knowledge of the major events.. if that.

Maybe they could get Jar Jar Abrams to do a remake of Das Boot like he did with Star Trek? In Jar Jar's universe, the Uboat was involved in the Pearl Harbor attack, but at the last moment, decided to fight on the American side. But since the Americans don't know this, the Uboat is hunted by both sides.

Using their Tippy Top Totally Secret "Raupe" drive, the Uboat is able to evade capture and their heroic service to humanity will for ever remain secret... until this movie comes out.

What is sad is that while I am trying to be silly, there was probably a screenwriter working on this as we speak.
Old 07-03-15, 11:27 AM   #35
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
This I know for sure-are 110 % sure

It's an American production, so it's going to women and romantics in the movie and there will be sequels.

It's the American way.

Just for Platapus, a re-make of "Crash Dive?"

Old 07-03-15, 11:45 AM   #36
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I just got the call, we're in the new film!

What you had:

What you'll get in the remake:
Old 07-06-15, 12:46 PM   #37
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

I honestly dont think it will work at all...
One of the strong point of the original series/movies is that it is brutal, its bare, its without filter.
I doubt any US production can make it so.

Sure, as some have pointed out, the special effects will be better, but that is a minor part of the original movie but will most likely be the selling point of any remake, so why do it? Its not going to replace the tension, gruesome, appalling, dirty, nasty, demotivating, horrific and gut wrenching aspects, that makes the original what it is...

Remember the review on Amazon of the original that we all laughed at....this movie will be a tool to counteract that review and destroy the whole feel while doing it...

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 02:24 PM   #38
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

My best guess is that this remake will cater for reviews like this;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...SIN=0767802470

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 02:55 PM   #39
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Already addressed in post #20.
Old 07-08-15, 11:51 AM   #40
Kessner
Helmsman

Downloads: 174

I'll wait until it comes out, I do not want to jump for joy to discover its full of changes to "FIT IN" to days standards.. Because that would be a fail to do that and rely 100% on Special effects to tell the story..
Old 07-08-15, 04:06 PM   #41
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
I don't really see the point of a remake. Except for a few dated special effects shots, and a couple points where the music is a little too synth-heavy, Das Boot holds up remarkably well. I can't imagine what good, in the words of one Mr. Harry S. Plinkett, HYPERCHARGING and ELECTRIFYING it for a modern audience would do. The original works because it's slow, heavy, claustrophobic, brooding, and so forth...hardly attributes that land butts in theater seats these days.

This. A million times this.

Das Boot is the "Citizen Kane" of submarine movies. You don't go out of your way to remake a classic like that...unless it's nothing more than a cash grab.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 10:36 AM   #42
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Put your money on please no.

They are bound to fudge it.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 12:19 PM   #43
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Default DAS BOOT REMAKE? HUMMMMM......

The film "Das Boot" is a classic "cult" about German submarines in World War II. With it we realized how many inaccuracies had Hollywood movies to show alleged German submarine. In fact, "Das Boot" marked a change that was reflected later in films like "U-571".Achieve a remake of "Das Boot" it will not be easy, because the original 1981 is very well done despite not then have current technical advances such as computer animation. Neither you will find a list like the one I had "Das Boot" led by Jurgen Prochnow that became popularly known since. Actors should be like the German language, then listen aboard phrases like "yes sir" We produces a complete anticlimax. And no alarm use "horn" to plunge, is a German submarine and not one American.
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 02:49 AM   #44
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135
Default Please don´t!

A Remake of an excellent movie doesn´t seem to make any sense to me.

1) The original cast was awesome. Jürgen Prochnow is and always will be "Herr Kaleun". Any new actor would end up pretending to be Prochnow instead of pretending to be a U-Boat commander. German actor Til Schweiger did just that in a low budget U-Boat movie and failed. There´s more to it than scratching your beard. The same goes for all the other iconic characters.

Furthermore, the original cast consisted of many (totally) unkown actors, so the audience could easily identify with the bunch without being judgemental.

2) Das Boot lives from its atmosphere and real life appeal which derives from the fact that most of the things in the movie are real. Buchheim visited the U-Boat interiour model and was impressed how "real" it felt. He said: "I would have expected wood and cheap stage props, but no, they used solid metal and authentic stuff!" The movie is far from being a clichee and the best Thing about it is accuracy and historic Detail. Did you know the beer bottles they drink are actually historic ones?

Das Boot doesn´t need modern Special effects simply for the obvious reason that in WW2 there was nothing Special about "effects". We don´t Need CGI torpedoes. And don´t give us laser beams like in Steel Fury...

3) Notalgia. Do I have more to say? A-Team the movie might work for Kids, but it didn´t work for old me. The same goes for Star Wars...speaking of which:

PLEASE DO NOT STAR-WARIZE "Das Boot"!
Old 07-29-15, 03:11 AM   #45
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135
Default Why not continue the original story?

Unlike in the movie, the real Kaleun of U-96 survived the war. Buchheim merged 2 or 3 patrols into one to make his book more exciting and dense. The air attack happened, but it didn´t kill half the Crew and didn´t sink U-96 which was lost later in war.

If they want to milk the Das Boot cow, why not continue the original story?
Buchheim wrote about his adventures escape from Brest in his novel "Die Festung" (don´t know the English title, literally it is "The Fortress").

Tags
2018, das boot, remake, typ viic